MAG What changes can we expect in MAG with new leadership?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Cheryl

Proud Parent
I was wondering if USAG, given all the issues with WAG, are going to be giving attention to the issues currently facing MAG? Colleges are eliminating their teams. The whole JO/JD system and Div 1/2 in compulsory seems to be a shambles where even the most knowledgeable coaches have no idea what changes might happen. Gyms are having trouble retaining mid level
Athletes (all those 7’s,8’s,9’s,JD’s) who no longer have the same path they thought they were following when they started. The upper limits seem designed to either discourage boys who might have been happy to repeat a level to do so and push them up, And have them give up for another sport, because they can’t master the skills.

The norm used to be boys who started late usually only repeated once or twice. But there were kids my son’s age in Level 5 who were doing it for the third year

I guess it would be helpful for boys to be able to compete at their own Level. If they are 13 and Level 7, let them. If they are 15 at Level 9, fine. They aren’t going to get to Nationals until Level 10 anyway, if ever. Give them meaningful competition with their peers and they are more likely not to drop out.

Sorry for the length of this rant, I just want to keep my son loving this. He’s not going to Olympics, it would just be nice if he could compete consistently against kids with his skill level.

It is an interesting thought. USAG has no control over college stuff.

ANd I guess I don't see the issues you see quite to the level you are expressing. You can be a 13yo L7. In fact, on our team, we have a 14 yo L6. He is quite happy, and knows he will be JD1 next year, and is ready to tackle that. Our JD team is thriving and has good competition at meets, so they are competing against kids in their peer group and their level.

Sorry that things seem to be messy where you are. Really, from what I see and hear from our area, the divisions are great (except L7D2...no one does that.) Not a huge fan of the upper age limits on the optional levels, but JD does work here, and coaches seem to get how to use it.

I do hope that they don't ignore MAG. That is my biggest concern. Fortunately, I do think we have people in MAG that won't let that happen...anymore than it already does :)

I think JD has been way more successful in some regions than others. In R7, it's become a multi-purpose program. Older guys competing JD1 are good enough that strong college clubs are talking to them and encouraging them to continue gymnastics in college. It seems to be gradually settling out that JD1 is the place for guys who might transition back to JO and work out JO hours, and JD2 is more the place for guys who want to do gym but have time for other things as well. At this point, we have seen meets with more JD1s than L10s.

As to your bigger question, clearly the men's program can't count on USAG leadership to work on the most important issues. My perception is that that energy is coming from MAG leadership and college partners, including GymACT. As the parent of a late-blooming 15 year old who desperately wants to continue doing gym in college, I hope they succeed.

We are in Region 7 also, and my son does JD as well. He is a May B-day, so he has to compete as a 14 year old, even though he is 13. We went to our second invitational and our session was all JD and there were over a hundred kids competing, so there were many more than last year, where there were very few. I just think that adding a JD level kind of creates a problem where none existed before. Many gyms in our area don't even do JD, and some that do, don't do the hours or training that the JO kids do (our gym coaches the JD's just like the JO's - same hours, same skills). Before all this I think it was just an easier level of progression for most people to understand. At our gym, everyone is either a 4,5,6 or 9, 10. Everyone in between is a JD 1 or 2, so our program is healthy, but I think we probably have the biggest JD program in the state, so at a couple meets last year, they were just competing against themselves.

I guess I will wait until Philly to see the numbers of JD's. BTW - do JD's do fewer skills in their routines than JO?

We are in Region 7 also, and my son does JD as well. He is a May B-day, so he has to compete as a 14 year old, even though he is 13. We went to our second invitational and our session was all JD and there were over a hundred kids competing, so there were many more than last year, where there were very few. I just think that adding a JD level kind of creates a problem where none existed before. Many gyms in our area don't even do JD, and some that do, don't do the hours or training that the JO kids do (our gym coaches the JD's just like the JO's - same hours, same skills). Before all this I think it was just an easier level of progression for most people to understand. At our gym, everyone is either a 4,5,6 or 9, 10. Everyone in between is a JD 1 or 2, so our program is healthy, but I think we probably have the biggest JD program in the state, so at a couple meets last year, they were just competing against themselves.

I guess I will wait until Philly to see the numbers of JD's. BTW - do JD's do fewer skills in their routines than JO?

I think the minimum number of skills in JD1 is six, and JD1 now adds up to 1.5 to SV for covering different groups. My son's best friend has his birthday on May 27 and hopefully will be moving from JD to L10 next year, so believe me, I know the pain of that birthday issue!

As to your bigger question, clearly the men's program can't count on USAG leadership to work on the most important issues. My perception is that that energy is coming from MAG leadership and college partners, including GymACT. As the parent of a late-blooming 15 year old who desperately wants to continue doing gym in college, I hope they succeed.
I agree, the future of Men's College gymnastics opportunity is in the grassroots effort of GymAct and their member teams/coaches. I do not know of any other programs like this, if they exist I would love to know about it. I cannot stress enough how important supporting these dedicated people is for the future of MAG. They get no funding from official sources, it is all donations. I suggest anyone who can, consider donating either to their closest GymAct team or to GymAct itself. Their website is a great place to learn about GymAct - don't miss the blog. https://www.gymact.org/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back