WAG What do gyms do to attract great coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
We've been talking a lot lately about abusive coaches, but, of course there are some really great coaches out there and those people are invaluable. I feel very fortunate, because after a gym switch I really like and have a tremendous amount of respect for the coaches at DD's gym, and I can see how difficult it must be for a gym to find and help develop great coaches. The hours are long, I'm guessing the pay and benefits aren't great, and coaching is physically, mentally, and probably emotionally taxing. What do good gyms do to find good coaches- is it about the pay? The environment? As a parent, are you willing to pay more at a gym known for outstanding coaching?
Stuff I was mulling over while out for a run this morning! :)

My DD's gym that she is now at has the healthiest coaching that she has ever had. She has had some good/healthy coaches at other gyms, but it wasn't across the board that it was an emotionally healthy environment. The gym that she is at now doesn't always place top 3, but they seem to keep more of the girls all of the way through high school than most of the other gyms in our area, and these are mostly girls who have no aspirations if doing college gym (beyond club). I think that the owners of this gym make a huge difference. They are coaches, parents, and owners. They consider the whole kid and I think that if a coach came on who didn't approach the girls the same way that they wouldn't last long at the gym.

There is a ton of luck and circumstance involved. You have to find someone looking when you need one. The coach has to be the experience level you need as well. So timing plays a huge roll. Beyond that, experienced coaches are looking for many different things. Pay and benefits has a lot to do with it but coaches are also looking for good kids to coach and the right environment to work in.

Easy, we develop our own.

All our coaches have trained as gymnasts at our gym, they only been exposed to our own gyms coaching methods and have never seen or heard negative or abusive coaching in their gymnastics journeys.

Another thing that goes with what I have already said. IMO, a lot comes with the already established environment of the gym. Some of the gyms my kids have been at had owners who were... Less than pleasant themselves. New coaches would hire on, see that owner was moody any yelled, so they adapted to that. Same coaches in gyms with different attitudes are sometimes completely different. It is often a top down thing. Though sometimes it goes the other way too. My DD had been at a gym where over time the environment became pretty toxic. There was a new coach hired who at first was not a favorite for my DD, but over time that coach saw what else was happening within the gym and she changed to be a real champion for the girls.

All our coaches have trained as gymnasts at our gym, they only been exposed to our own gyms coaching methods and have never seen or heard negative or abusive coaching in their gymnastics journeys.
Unfortunately, this can work the other way. I have seen less than positive gyms whose staff is almost entirely composed of homegrown coaches who coach in much the same way they were brought up, including the high school kids coaching rec classes who speak unkindly to the kids. When outside coaches come in and try to ask questions and raise concerns they don't last long. So while I have no doubt it can and does work, and am certain your gym is a positive place, I don't think you can trust that just because a gym has a lot of homegrown coaches that it is a positive and healthy environment for your child.

I think overall gym culture has a lot to do with both raising healthy and happy kids and attracting good coaches who stick around. Is it a place where the kids value their coaches are respectful while also feeling safe to express concerns? Or is it an environment where the kids are so used to yelling that they only do what is asked of them when they are screamed at and threatened with rope climbs and otherwise misbehave? Is it a place where concerns are actually heard and addressed (coming from coaches, gymnasts, and parents) or a place where HC/owner is the authority on all and if you don't agree here's the door.

I think also gyms that have a healthy work/life balance for coaches AND athletes. I recently worked at a gym for many years that had just that and it was great for the coaches and kids and helped to keep kids in the sport longer. The team was very successful but also understood that kids deserved a life outside of the gym. Instead of a no days off mentality, coaches would cancel practice for community events important to the kids- homecoming football games, parades, trick or treating, or just a Friday night or Saturday off mid-season if they could see the kids & coaches needed a break. Or things like ending practice 20 minutes early for a game, treat, or fun to boost morale. I know that can be hard for gyms serving a larger number of school districts and areas to coordinate, but I think it can be done. It's quite a shock to me to see gyms that only close on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, have kids coming in on their off day for privates, make it difficult for coaches to take time off, pressure kids to keep doing more. I know some kids and coaches thrive in those types of settings, but so many just burn out.

I love the idea of this, but how can you be sure that they have never seen or heard negative or abusive coaching? Unfortunately most people have. It's so disheartening.

I love the idea of this, but how can you be sure that they have never seen or heard negative or abusive coaching? Unfortunately most people have. It's so disheartening.

Because that is not how we coach at our gym. I can see and hear what my coaches are doing and saying.
And all of them have trained solely at our gym.

Simple formula, if you motivate through fear then your students will only ever do enough to avoid the j pleasant consequence. They all have been trained to understand that positive motivation is far more effective. The place is always filled with smiles, laughter and praise.

The advantage of using your own gymnasts and training them to be your staff is that you know them very well. You know their personalities and their energy. You hire the ones who you see lift others up every day, never push them down.

My daughter came home from practice last night giddy about how great the practice was- she'd been praised by all of her coaches, and overall had such a productive, happy time at practice. The coaches set such a positive tone, which leads to happier kids. It was the complete opposite in her old gym where I saw girls in tears all the time, and the difference is entirely in the coaching.

I think this is a combination of a lot of things. A great coach starts by being a great coach. They don't have to go to a "good" club to become one. They either have the strong qualities of what it takes and means to be a good coach. Does the coach on their own take coaching courses or do they think they are too good for that? A coach that can recognize they need coaching themselves.

I think some things that sets different gyms apart are benefits, salary, growth of the club, etc. I think this is what coaches may look for. But just because you have all good things at a club doesn't mean you always attract the best quality of coaching. All it takes is one bad coach at that great club to bring the house down. And if that bad coach happens to be the head coach there is nothing the club can do. Well I guess there is which is get rid of the poison. It takes real effort for a coach to be constructive and positive. Not all coaches have this quality. I think a lot of coaches think they have this and don't. So many revert to mentally and verbally abusive coaching.

But my opinion on good coaching - you either have it or you don't. I have found my dd best coaches have been ex-gymnast who have experienced really rough horrific coaching themselves as athletes. And they have chosen to not coach the way they were coached. They see that abusive coaching doesn't get positive healthy growth.

So I think a good combination of a strong coach with good values finding the right fit with a club who is supportive in athlete growth.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back