MAG What do I do with a male gymnast who just wants to flip??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Citadelcoach2

Coach
Gymnast
I have a boy age 12 who just wants to flip and nothing else. He is a good gymnast I'm struggling to think of stuff that will keep him going at gymnastics because he gets bored during his class. Anybody for any ideas.

Variate with front tucks or even straight jumps! Boys love being active in general. A fun one is straight jumps as fast as they can (kid 1 jumps to the right, kid 2 jumps to the left, kid 3 to the right again etc.) jumping over objects (pit tower), when more advanced front tucks over tower (can also be done into the pit). Front tucks to a raised surface are a good way to start them too. Forward rolls off the high bar (over a pit). Swining on rings, inverting, letting go then flyaway.

12 years old often have a lot of body awareness already, so you can easily build out the basics. Make sure you test the body awareness first, but more than one turn of basics is often enough for them

Variate with front tucks or even straight jumps! Boys love being active in general. A fun one is straight jumps as fast as they can (kid 1 jumps to the right, kid 2 jumps to the left, kid 3 to the right again etc.) jumping over objects (pit tower), when more advanced front tucks over tower (can also be done into the pit). Front tucks to a raised surface are a good way to start them too. Forward rolls off the high bar (over a pit). Swining on rings, inverting, letting go then flyaway.

12 years old often have a lot of body awareness already, so you can easily build out the basics. Make sure you test the body awareness first, but more than one turn of basics is often enough for them
my gymnast can do flips in just trying to get him to focus on other stuff like he can back tuck and front tuck but he wants to move on to more difficult skills.
I might use the flipping over a raised surface. He loves swinging on the p bars as well. But want to move him on to bigger skills

my gymnast can do flips in just trying to get him to focus on other stuff like he can back tuck and front tuck but he wants to move on to more difficult skills.
I might use the flipping over a raised surface. He loves swinging on the p bars as well. But want to move him on to bigger skills
Then just tell him how it works in gymnastics: first you perfect the basics, no matter how boring. Otherwise the risk of injury is too high. Try to get him to realize that perfecting form isn't boring, it's a challenge in itself

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back