For Parents What do parents want in a coach?

Gymx2

Proud Parent
Oct 9, 2015
Country
USA
For me I look for experience, enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and adaptability so they don't have a one size fits all approach to gymnasts. I like a very even tempered coach. I've seen highly excitable coaches who will punch the air or hug a gymnast, jump up and down when a kid gets a skill- but those same coaches seem to be the ones who will throw a fit when a gymnast isn't ready to perform a skill or gets injured. I want a coach who's ego isn't riding on every kid's day to day performance, but looks toward the bigger, long-term picture. What do you look for in a coaching staff?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

kendo348

Proud Parent
Aug 5, 2019
Country
USA
I want a coach who is familiar with and supportive of the movements for change that are happening in the gymnastics community. Someone who has not only a knowledge of and love of the sport but who is actively contributing to its future by incorporating current research into training plans, and respecting and cultivating the gymnasts as people first. Also a willingness to differentiate as needed and to communicate effectively with parents.

Reliability would also be SO appreciated! We’ve had a good bit of HC turnover in the last couple of years. The first new coach was awesome - everything listed above and more. The second was knowledgeable but seemed too invested in climbing the status ladder (partial to the superstars and ignored the others.) The third is quite experienced but very traditional and, come to think of it, so far does not fill any of my above wishes... I am kind of disappointed and have not built trust yet. I love our gym but will be keeping my eyes wide open.

JessSyd

Proud Parent
Oct 10, 2013
Sydney Australia
Country
Australia
Someone who loves the sport and loves working with children.

Someone who understands that while kids take it seriously it is also meant to be fun.

Someone who does not see parents as the enemy but as partners - someone with a very different but equally valuable role in supporting the gymnast in their journey.

Someone who is willing to listen to the gymnast, and health professionals.

Someone who can adapt her coaching style to meet a child’s needs.

Someone well trained in coaching, and committed to updating their skills and knowledge.

Someone who, if they have favourites, keeps it so secret that nobody can tell.

Someone who can catch! (I have witnessed a couple of impressive bits of spotting in my time)

My kid has this coach. I sometimes describe her as a unicorn because she seems too perfect to be true. My daughter adores her. But I know there are other coaches out there like this too. Coaches who want to be the coach they wish they’d had. Or who were inspired by the amazing coach they’d had themselves.

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
I am looking for a coach who is committed to helping my daughter fulfill her individual potential as a gymnast in a safe and positive way.

I do not want any more coaches who will use my daughter to further their own goals of maximizing team scores, then discard her.

GymDadWA

Proud Parent
Dec 30, 2017
Country
USA
If I could pick the perfect coach it would be a role model that DD could trust and emulate. Whenever she crosses a situation where she didn't know what to do or how to handle it should could just think "what would my coach do" and hopefully come up with the best decision possible.
From what I know about her Coach Val was this kind of coach for so many of her gymnasts, not only did her athletes trust and respect her, but so many of them wanted to be her.

Ppgmom

Proud Parent
Jan 14, 2020
Country
USA
Someone who loves the sport and loves working with children.

Someone who understands that while kids take it seriously it is also meant to be fun.

Someone who does not see parents as the enemy but as partners - someone with a very different but equally valuable role in supporting the gymnast in their journey.

Someone who is willing to listen to the gymnast, and health professionals.

Someone who can adapt her coaching style to meet a child’s needs.

Someone well trained in coaching, and committed to updating their skills and knowledge.

Someone who, if they have favourites, keeps it so secret that nobody can tell.

Someone who can catch! (I have witnessed a couple of impressive bits of spotting in my time)

My kid has this coach. I sometimes describe her as a unicorn because she seems too perfect to be true. My daughter adores her. But I know there are other coaches out there like this too. Coaches who want to be the coach they wish they’d had. Or who were inspired by the amazing coach they’d had themselves.

skygirlpc

Proud Relative
Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
I want a coach that is more concerned about the mental well being of my daughter than the competions won.

I want a coach that will work with my daughter to help her grow her skills and knowledge of the sport in a healthy manner while also having fun.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!