Parents What do parents want in a coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
For me I look for experience, enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and adaptability so they don't have a one size fits all approach to gymnasts. I like a very even tempered coach. I've seen highly excitable coaches who will punch the air or hug a gymnast, jump up and down when a kid gets a skill- but those same coaches seem to be the ones who will throw a fit when a gymnast isn't ready to perform a skill or gets injured. I want a coach who's ego isn't riding on every kid's day to day performance, but looks toward the bigger, long-term picture. What do you look for in a coaching staff?

I want a coach who is familiar with and supportive of the movements for change that are happening in the gymnastics community. Someone who has not only a knowledge of and love of the sport but who is actively contributing to its future by incorporating current research into training plans, and respecting and cultivating the gymnasts as people first. Also a willingness to differentiate as needed and to communicate effectively with parents.

Reliability would also be SO appreciated! We’ve had a good bit of HC turnover in the last couple of years. The first new coach was awesome - everything listed above and more. The second was knowledgeable but seemed too invested in climbing the status ladder (partial to the superstars and ignored the others.) The third is quite experienced but very traditional and, come to think of it, so far does not fill any of my above wishes... I am kind of disappointed and have not built trust yet. I love our gym but will be keeping my eyes wide open.

Someone who loves the sport and loves working with children.

Someone who understands that while kids take it seriously it is also meant to be fun.

Someone who does not see parents as the enemy but as partners - someone with a very different but equally valuable role in supporting the gymnast in their journey.

Someone who is willing to listen to the gymnast, and health professionals.

Someone who can adapt her coaching style to meet a child’s needs.

Someone well trained in coaching, and committed to updating their skills and knowledge.

Someone who, if they have favourites, keeps it so secret that nobody can tell.

Someone who can catch! (I have witnessed a couple of impressive bits of spotting in my time)

My kid has this coach. I sometimes describe her as a unicorn because she seems too perfect to be true. My daughter adores her. But I know there are other coaches out there like this too. Coaches who want to be the coach they wish they’d had. Or who were inspired by the amazing coach they’d had themselves.

If I could pick the perfect coach it would be a role model that DD could trust and emulate. Whenever she crosses a situation where she didn't know what to do or how to handle it should could just think "what would my coach do" and hopefully come up with the best decision possible.
From what I know about her Coach Val was this kind of coach for so many of her gymnasts, not only did her athletes trust and respect her, but so many of them wanted to be her.

Someone who loves the sport and loves working with children.

Someone who understands that while kids take it seriously it is also meant to be fun.

Someone who does not see parents as the enemy but as partners - someone with a very different but equally valuable role in supporting the gymnast in their journey.

Someone who is willing to listen to the gymnast, and health professionals.

Someone who can adapt her coaching style to meet a child’s needs.

Someone well trained in coaching, and committed to updating their skills and knowledge.

Someone who, if they have favourites, keeps it so secret that nobody can tell.

Someone who can catch! (I have witnessed a couple of impressive bits of spotting in my time)

My kid has this coach. I sometimes describe her as a unicorn because she seems too perfect to be true. My daughter adores her. But I know there are other coaches out there like this too. Coaches who want to be the coach they wish they’d had. Or who were inspired by the amazing coach they’d had themselves.

Coaches that really like working with kids and understand the difference between coaching a 6 year old, 10 year old and 14 year old in terms of how to talk to them, how to push them without crossing a line. Coaches that are happy for the kids when they get a skill but even happier for the kids who are getting over a block and can work with them on blocks, with patience. And for us personally, coaches who understand if the kid is going on vacation or is doing a different activity and comes late sometimes or is gone for 2-3 weeks. If you’re treating compulsory levels like the Olympics for training, it’s not a good fit

I appreciate those coaches who can identify each athlete’s strengths, who are attune to the individual needs and offer challenges to build confidence. A focus on conditioning and safe progressions. For parents, having a coach who initiates communication is invaluable- it shows sincere interest and care in your child’s success. I‘ll stay with coaches like that. I’d love to see more coaches who provide clear expectations and are not afraid to be transparent.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back