Parents What do you consider to be a good score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
Hi,
I’m wondering what score range do most people consider to be a good scores? Is it only scores in the 9’s or are high 8’s also good scores? Also, what is considered a good all around score? My daughter has been on this gymnastics journey for a couple of years and I figured maybe it’s time to get a better understanding of scores. Thanks in advance!

It depends where you are..what level...and the judges - some states score low so even first place is high 8s, low 9s. Some levels have lower scores than others. Our current season is scoring insanely high because so many gyms around made their gyms repeat the level so suddenly 9.7s are 3rd place

It depends on the girl, the event, the meet, the year, lol... and as they go up levels, the very high scores get harder and harder to get.
My daughter old coach when she was a level 6 told her that. “The higher the level get use to seeing 8s instead of a 9”. I believe it’s all in the coaching, daughter level 7 & 8 still averaging a 9.5 and a 38 AA. Was supposed to skip 9 and go 10 this year so we will see, but levels 7-10 shouldn’t be getting a 8 on anything unless it’s falls and a all around bad day

i think the meet they are at is certainly a factor. some meets the judges score very hard and take all deductions so i winning routine could be a 9.1... Also, some gyms have their girls compete basic routines that are perfected and can get higher scores, while other gyms might have their girls compete harder skills ( i am talking optional levels ) and they can get hit with lower scores because of that, but it will help them for the next levels or trying to got elite. So, there are so many factors!

Ty's Dad, your experience and expectations in this sport are not the generally accepted ones, as I think you know based on the number of arguments that have happened. I wouldn't argue with you about what you consider a bad score, because of course it's a personal opinion.

I just want to say that lots and lots of wonderfully talented and hardworking gymnasts in levels 1-10 will get 8s and consider it a good day. Not everyone practices 30+ hours or is going elite. For many of us it is just youth sports and our kids are coming from different levels of advantage (natural talent, hours practiced, injuries, quality of coaching and equipment available) and commitment.

Ty's Dad, your experience and expectations in this sport are not the generally accepted ones, as I think you know based on the number of arguments that have happened. I wouldn't argue with you about what you consider a bad score, because of course it's a personal opinion.

I just want to say that lots and lots of wonderfully talented and hardworking gymnasts in levels 1-10 will get 8s and consider it a good day. Not everyone practices 30+ hours or is going elite. For many of us it is just youth sports and our kids are coming from different levels of advantage (natural talent, hours practiced, injuries, quality of coaching and equipment available) and commitment.
I can respect that. Thanks

Also just to put this out I haven’t had one argument with anyone in here. A whole lot of differences of opinion.

Absolutely! Not everyone’s kids are homeschooling and training 30+ hours a week. Plenty of naturally talented kids who don’t live in areas with top gyms like those in California or Texas (for example.) I would argue any kid who makes it to level 10 has some talent or at least a very good work ethic. I guess my daughter is just not talented by @Ty’s Dad’s insanely high standards because she has definitely made some 8s on level 9. I gave also seen other kids who appeared talented in my very humble opinion who made 8s on levels 8, 9, and 10.

My daughter old coach when she was a level 6 told her that. “The higher the level get use to seeing 8s instead of a 9”. I believe it’s all in the coaching, daughter level 7 & 8 still averaging a 9.5 and a 38 AA. Was supposed to skip 9 and go 10 this year so we will see, but levels 7-10 shouldn’t be getting a 8 on anything unless it’s falls and a all around bad day
This is total nonsense. I might concede and agree on level 7.

Absolutely! Not everyone’s kids are homeschooling and training 30+ hours a week. Plenty of naturally talented kids who don’t live in areas with top gyms like those in California or Texas (for example.) I would argue any kid who makes it to level 10 has some talent or at least a very good work ethic. I guess my daughter is just not talented by @Ty’s Dad’s insanely high standards because she has definitely made some 8s on level 9. I gave also seen other kids who appeared talented in my very humble opinion who made 8s on levels 8, 9, and 10.
WTF lmao man yall in this group really be reaching with yall comments. The thread asked what do you consider a good score and I gave My Opinion. I was at a gym where we celebrated just making it to states or my daughter got a 8.6 so I understand, but don’t come at me putting words in my mouth like I said anything about your kid

WTF lmao man yall in this group really be reaching with yall comments. The thread asked what do you consider a good score and I gave My Opinion. I was at a gym where we celebrated just making it to states or my daughter got a 8.6 so I understand, but don’t come at me putting words in my mouth like I said anything about your kid
I bolded your words above. You literally stated that “levels 7-10 shouldn’t be getting an 8 on anything unless it’s falls and a bad day.” Agreed that you didn’t say anything about my child, but your implications are pretty loud and clear.

I bolded your words above. You literally stated that “levels 7-10 shouldn’t be getting an 8 on anything unless it’s falls and a bad day.” Agreed that you didn’t say anything about my child, but your implications are pretty loud and clear.
Ok so do you know any levels 7-10 with a start value of a 8.0-8.5?

If your answer is no then how did whoever it is get a 8 if the start value is a 10 or even a 9.5

If your answer is no then how did whoever it is get a 8 if the start value is a 10 or even a 9.5
I actually don’t understand what you are asking. on level 9, the scoring can get very complicated esp on bars and floor. My daughter did a level 9 bar routine with no falls and got an 8.6. She had no connection bonus and her pak was a bit messy. handstands were a little short too.
anyways, as far as the question, in my opinion it is good to strive for 9s. It is totally normal to get some 8s on level 8 and higher. It gets hard.

I actually don’t understand what you are asking. on level 9, the scoring can get very complicated esp on bars and floor. My daughter did a level 9 bar routine with no falls and got an 8.6. She had no connection bonus and her pak was a bit messy. handstands were a little short too.
anyways, as far as the question, in my opinion it is good to strive for 9s. It is totally normal to get some 8s on level 8 and higher. It gets hard.
So she didn’t have a 10 start value? Does that land on the coaching for not having her ready or someone pushing her to do that level?
All I’m simply trying to say is that if you have a 10 start value and you get a 8 that means your getting deductions from somewhere (form or a fall) and that falls on coach’s don’t get mad at me get mad at them

A good score is anything that represents the child's best effort on the day. As demonstrated by the conversation above, there are wildly different standards between regions, gyms, gymnasts, and families, so it doesn't do much good to compare. If my DD scores above a 36 all around she considers it a solid performance, but we're relatively low hours in a middle of the road region and she's definitely not shooting for elite. There's a girl on her team who was over the moon about finally scoring in the 8s on bars. There's another who I don't think has ever scored below a 9 on anything. It's all relative and in my mind they should all just be shooting for personal milestones anyway and not focusing too much on the numbers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back