Coaches What do you do with the ones who don't pay attention?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who never know what to do immediately after you've explained it, who don't know what their corrections are, who just goof-off, who have so much potential but just don't put the work in?

If they're on team, I tell them that if they want me to give them my 100% as a coach, they also have to give a 100% effort. I don't care if they aren't always successful, as long as I see efforts and that they're listening and trying to apply corrections.

Girls know I don't repeat explanations. If they've missed them because they weren't listening, they have to watch the other girls to know what to do.

If she goofs off, ignore it. One day, she'll have a wake-up call either in competition or in training when she'll see other gymnasts progressing faster than her.

I know it's frustrating... But you can't want it more than the gymnast herself.

Oh I do want it more than she. So much more. Because I know what she could be doing instead of her sloppy gymnastics. Sigh. I guess all I can do is hope she gets it eventually. She is 8 competing level 4 after a very successful year as an old 4 last year. I'll try bribery first.

I often want it more for the gymnast than she wants it for herself. That's a hard space to be in. If they are not listening, I have them sit out for a minute or so. Potentially apologize if they were distracting me or teammates then rejoin the group. If they love gymnastics, sitting out will be punishment enough to keep them listening. If they don't love it, and sitting out isn't effective, maybe they are ready to move on from gymnastics and as painful as that may be, it might be the right choice.

From my experience, if it is a team kid, is to make sure first of all that they are not endangering themselves. If they are not paying attention and it is resulting in them doing very dangerous things then an intervention is necessary, either make them sit out or have a talk with them or make them run, etc. If it is not dangerous then you still have the responsibility to coach them just as much as the other kids. If everybody else starts improving and they do not, they will start to work harder. Also, sometimes if they are not being challenged and they get bored they will stop paying attention. Making a game of something is a good way to regain their attention. Positive feedback always works better than negative feedback.

For now we're doing a sticker chart that is helping. Our first meet is in a month so I'm hoping that will motivate her too. Right now she can't compete because she is missing both kips (even though she had it this summer).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back