What do you think of this song

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm considering using this song for a floor routine. This is the full (uncut) version, I want to see what you guys think. This is for a girl who said she didn't want anything 'cute' or 'boring.' I really like this song because the drums don't sound tribal or military, plus it's by Bear Mcreary who I LOVE! Oh and also from Battlestar Galactica which is the only show I have have been insane about in my adult life. Anyway I want to see what you guys think, because my love of it could be biased.

YouTube - 11- Scar

I really like it:). It has defiined rhymic changes that I think would be eeasier to choreograph. Not to mention that was one of my favorite shows.:D

I really like it:). It has defiined rhymic changes that I think would be eeasier to choreograph. Not to mention that was one of my favorite shows.:D

For sure, the routine took shape in my head the first few times I listened to it! I plan on making the arms as easy as possible for the drums because there's going to be some serious footwork + tumbling. During the slow part her arms are going to work though!

Love that you know the show! This is the song from the episode it's named after. Where Kat and Starbuck both go after the nastiest cylon raider there is, Scar. Starbuck has him but lets Kara take the glory after realizing solidarity is more important than her their grudge. When they toast all the Viper pilots they've lost in the war at the victory celebration was such an awesome moment!

Last edited:
I like it. And I have never seen that show, so unbiased. :) Would you cut it so that the drums start, the slower part in the middle and then the drums to end it?

I like it. And I have never seen that show, so unbiased. :) Would you cut it so that the drums start, the slower part in the middle and then the drums to end it?

Yup I think so. I was considering making it a bit more complicated because I love rhythmic change in routines. Then I reconsidered thinking it would be easier on the gymnast to start fast, take a slight breather during the middle and just focus on the details, finish with a bang. Easy peasy!

There's one sound I want to cut out, that noise right before the slow part becomes fast again. Not the big crash sound, but that whizzing fast sound that leads up to it. I wish I could describe it better, I don't know instruments well enough though! Oh I want to cut all but 2 counts of the 'twang' at the beginning too.

Last edited:
I love drums and I love dark music. This will make great music for a floor routine but I think you need to do something with the middle section, which sounds like you're already doing. Choreographing it as is will be tough. Also, the section is very hard to be heard in a large crowded noisy room like a gym or an arena.

Just my 2 cents.

I love drums and I love dark music. This will make great music for a floor routine but I think you need to do something with the middle section, which sounds like you're already doing. Choreographing it as is will be tough. Also, the section is very hard to be heard in a large crowded noisy room like a gym or an arena.

Just my 2 cents.

With the middle section I have a very adagio dance series planned out (currently). She's going to be in constant motion, it will be slow, she'll have to be precise and work her already fabulous arm movement! I have not cut it yet, but that section will be remaining in full for the final version. She's going to learn to count her 8's so she'll know where she's at in the routine even if it's hard to hear that's for sure!

When her coach tells me for sure what tumbling she wants in the routine, and fills in any knowledge gaps I have about AGA, then I'll be changing it to conform to those standards. Right now it's all dance though, helps me map out the song in my head and decide where exactly I want cuts and such. Once I get the tumbling, leaps, jumps, random other elements etc fleshed out I'll do the whole thing over again to confirm where I want the music cut so hopefully I'll only have to do it once. Hopefully!

Be sure to post a vid when the choreography is done, even without the tumbling.

Just an a sidenote... FWIW, I absolutely hate sci fi; whether it's a movie, a book, a tv show, a story or whatever. But, for whatever reason, I find many of their show themes very appealing.

BG is designed to suck you in slooowly!!!

I like the idea Linsul, counting is the thing though. Make it nice though so we can copy!

BG is designed to suck you in slooowly!!!

Indeed it is! SOoooOoOOOO worth it though! :D :D

I like the idea Linsul, counting is the thing though. Make it nice though so we can copy!

haha I will, I just hope it comes out as good as I think it will!

Related emo BSG rant: This video has most of the scene where Kat and Starbuck fight Scar. The writers were GENIUSES when it came the creation of the Viper pilot nemesis. He's the physical embodiment of of all the baggage, fear, and skill they carry around and had no choice but to develop to adapt and survive. Kat and Starbuck are the two best viper jocks in the fleet, but the deaths of their friends and their 24/7 on duty status eventually wear on both to the point where they become extremely self destructive to get by. Things are extremely tense between the two of them, it erupts into violence, and then their superior commander orders them to work together to take out Scar. The cool thing is that killing scar seems to be symbolic to both Kat and Starbuck, and they take it as a sign to resolve their differences and handle themselves better.

Scar has got his own issues. 'He' is a biological machine, what they call a raider. The cylons have an internal power shift that results in granting the raiders sentience, and they reincarnate as well. This so called gift of sentience gives them the ability to remember and react to all their deaths. Scar chooses to deal by targeting Viper pilots exclusively since they have dealt out the majority of his deaths, and he's extremely good at what he does. If you watch the video to the end there's a more full explanation in the dialogue. You can hear the song too in it a little bit!

YouTube - Sweet Sacrifice- Starbuck/Kat vs Scar- viper fights

This one is where Galactica comes back to save a civilian settlement. They found a planet they could colonize while on the run, but of course the cylons found them. Galactica stayed in orbit, but the cylons were too many to engage right away so they jumped out of range and planned a counter attack from afar while an on ground resistance group organized. They then fought together and DE_STROYED the cylon occupation. Skip to 1:17, Galactica is burning through the planets atmosphere and launches Vipers through the flames, omg CHILLS I TELL YOU! One of the htings I like best about the combat is it wasn't all SPACE LASERZ and silly stuff. The sound of those big shells getting fired off in space during combat was actually pretty cool.

YouTube - Battlestar Galactica: TO THE RESCUE

Last edited:
not enough melody for my liking
i'm big into classical showy tunes

not enough melody for my liking
i'm big into classical showy tunes

It's not got enough for my liking either, I agree. I found I had to scale back after finding multiple songs I liked. This is for a gymnast that is in her first year of competition, not for a USAG routine, so it's been difficult. By the time a USAG L7 is ready for a routine it should be somewhat difficult to find a piece of music that would drown her, and I had to keep reminding myself who I was looking for and adjust.

I've been through soooo many songs! The one I posted here I really like because it has a distinct beginning, middle, and end. It's about as easy mode as I'm comfortable with while staying within what the gymnast herself asked for. A coworker who is a recognized choreographer advised me to find something with a beat she could time her heartbeats to! I didn't want to be THAT easy, but I figure she wouldn't have said it if there wasn't wisdom to it. There is one song that I love so much I don't want to share, it's borderline too much in my mind, lots of melody I can tell you that lol! I was going to go in this morning to share the song here and 2 others and get some opinions but one of the people who I wanted there wasn't able to make it so I'm rescheduling. I could email it, but I want to be there when they hear my top 3.

In the off chance some AGA people are reading this, I was told 4 'A' elements and 3 'B' for the routine. If that could be confirmed or denied I'd appreciate it. Getting in touch with this gymnasts coaches has been challenging to say the least!

I like it but if your going to use it make sure you don't need to get the rights to use it first. You can't just download any music and assume it's ok to just use.

OMGOMGOMG IT HAS A DUDUK! I LOVE DUDUKS!
OMGOMGOMGOMG IS THAT A SARANGI I HEAR IN THE BACKGROUND AT 2:04?

*ahem*

You'll probably have to do a fair amount of cutting since the slow section in the middle is so long, but this has some really great stuff, and I can see it making for a spectacular routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back