What do your gymmies wear in the winter months at practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I was just wondering what your gymmies wear at practice during the cold winter months. I would assume long sleeved leos, but what about under armour shirts or leggings??? I am a new gym mommy and I only know what the kids wore at cheer practices during winter--lots of long sleeved shirts (underarmour-type) and leggings under shorts if it got really cold.

Any suggestions???

It can be frikking freezing in the winter, but the girls do not wear long sleeved shirts, they may wear one for the warm up, but then they take them off. I guess they warm up quickly.

Last edited:
Yea, our girls wear regular leos in the winter just like they do during the summer. They might wear a sweatshirt during warm up, but we (the coaches) get to the gym a little early and turn the heaters on.

Same here - just a regular leo with maybe a sweatshirt during warm-up. Usually they are sweating so much they like when it's a little chilly in the gym.

We wear leos with capri leggings over them. We can wear sweatshirts for warm up and conditioning too. We never wear long sleeve leos.

DD doesn't wear anything different during the winter, except that sometimes she will warm up and stretch wearing her sweats and socks.

Regular leos. I do bundle them up when going to the gym:D But, when they are running around and tumbling, they do get warmer. You can put leggings over their leo. I never seen a gymnast with under armor, but that is just me.

Good luck!

Mine hates longsleeve leos, so for her its the tank style year round. They have the option of having socks on for stretching at the beginning, but have to take them off for any conditioning requiring running etc. Can have a sweatshirt on for conditioning only, then its strip down time.

We always wore the same thing. I've seen leggings/under armour in some colder climates, but around here, once warm-up is over, it shouldn't be that cold in most gyms. It's worst in the mornings.

This is all great and useful info!!! Thanks so much!! This is all good to know since I was considering buying some long sleeved leos for her--thanks for saving me a ton of money!!!

Yeah I wouldn't get long sleeved leos. If it is really cold or the heat isn't working, or some special circumstance like that, I think just a tight long sleeved shirt would suffice. But even when it feels cold in the beginning, once you start going and get warmed up, you don't really notice. Girls at the gym might wear leggings though...I'd just wait and see what her team does and get anything specific then, you know she will want what everyone else wears ;) But it probably won't be long sleeved leos.

I learned my lesson and never buy a long sleeved leo again.My daughter gets to hot in them when she is warmed up.She hardly wore the one she had.Sometimes she will wear some leggins.

My dd wears regular tank leo with under armour top and leggings. The HC/O told them last yr she was turning the heat down because of the cost and they could wear whatever. I stick to tight fitting items. Some come out to warm up with gloves on. They do tend to peel their clothes off while they are warming up though.

I found that I could get Nike's version of the Under Armour pants for about $10 less at Dick's so that's what dd wears.

Another alternative is C9 which is Champions version of Under Armour gear that is available at Target - much more reasonable in price, but I only find the tops - not the bottoms.

Ours wear the tank styles all year. They do come in all bundled at warmups with sweats and thats allowed but eventually they all start to peel off the layers.

What's winter? LOL. I guess we are lucky that winters here are mild. I don't remember my DD every wearing anything but a leo, short sleeved at that. I do wish we had four seasons, except I think I could skip a snowy, icy winter. :D

What's winter? LOL. I guess we are lucky that winters here are mild. I don't remember my DD every wearing anything but a leo, short sleeved at that. I do wish we had four seasons, except I think I could skip a snowy, icy winter. :D

This is winter at our house, that is me and DS trying to find the path before school. :D But the girls still do not wear LS leos.

bogwoppit-albums-bogwoppits-photos-picture8-our-house-snow.jpg

Oh my gosh Bog, I would die. I complain here when it is 50 degrees. LOL. My dad keeps trying to convince me to move to Indiana and I am like, NO WAY! I would freeze to death. :D I think I would be wearing sweats to the gym with long underwear underneath.

Beautiful picture though. The white house covered in white snow. I think I would paint my house a bright color so I could find it. :D

DD wears velvet capri pants from GK over her tank leo, if she's not too hot. Her coach allows them to wear sweats or pajama pants for the warm-up & conditioning, but once rotations start that stuff must come off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back