WAG What does "Allowed to walk-on" actually mean?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I know of a gymnast who had a commitment taken away, but then was recently told by that college that she'd be "allowed to walk-on".
The girl hasn't applied and been accepted to this college yet.

Does anyone know what this usually means?
I believe there's no scholarship there, but does that mean she'll be allowed on the team? or just to try out?

Just curious

It means that for whatever reason, the school pulled her scholarship and will “allow her parents to fund her being on their team with no guarantee of funding from the school “... I’d personally move on from said school because once they balk on a kid, they’re set up for 4 years of hell

There’s a reason they pulled her money and that’s already a negative in the coaches’ heads so I wouldn’t even consider this school at all ... and as her parent, I sure as heck would not fund it.

But....maybe a kid has had too many injuries or sickness and that’s made her no longer a strong recruit. That’s neither the gymnast’s nor the coach’s fault but it is grounds for no longer satisfying the requirements for a scholarship.

In a case like that, maybe this team welcoming her as a walk on is actually a good option for her?

There’s a reason they pulled her money and that’s already a negative in the coaches’ heads so I wouldn’t even consider this school at all ... and as her parent, I sure as heck would not fund it.
With scholarships it's not uncommon for schools to over extend themselves with offering scholarships to more athletes then they have scholarships available with the thought being that some of the athletes will turn them down, but if the scholarships start to get accepted right away than they will have to withdraw their offer for any athlete that hadn't accepted yet or been accepted into the school just yet.

That school wouldn't be my first choice as well but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the athlete anymore or any less than before. It also could mean some stud gymnast(s) that they didn't think they could recruit did accept the offer and they just are prioritizing the more decorated athlete.

It also could mean some stud gymnast(s) that they didn't think they could recruit did accept the offer and they just are prioritizing the more decorated athlete.

If that were the case, wouldn't it also mean that the child whose offer was rescinded would have less chance of making the lineup?

Simply, yes. Many walk ons never make line up and may not travel with the team to meets. They are simply on the practice squad.

Allowed to walk-on usually means scholarship no longer available but coach will support the athlete's application which can be extremely helpful for academic-prestigious universities. If it's the athlete's dream school and the parents have the means to pay (or if the student qualifies for academic/need-based money), then it's still a very good option for everyone involved...

Self-funding your education as a walk-on also allows the student-athlete to walk away from the sport and concentrate on academics if the time should ever come to retire early.

I can also think of athletes who had significant injuries later in high school which would have made the comeback timing questionable or the degree of comeback questionable. In this situation if a scholarship is retracted, a walk-on I would think be welcomed.

I don’t know about a walk on being “welcomed” and by whom? ... If a school pulled my offer for whatever reason (no reason, injury history or shiny new thing... and I’m looking at you LSU) , I would feel really awkward about “joining “ that team.

Unless it was something like a school with a 3% admission rate and I get help getting admitted because I really want to go there , I cannot imagine being on a team that really didn’t want me ... to the point that they actually DID want me, made me an offer and then pulled the offer, saying I’m “welcome to walk on” ... sorry but I’d be going somewhere else

The degree to which a coach can support the academic admission of a walk-on gymnast varies significantly by school. At academic private and public schools, usually the gymnasts needs to meet test, GPA and breadth of coursework minimums. Walk-ons at some large and popular state universities have MUCH higher academic requirements for out-of-state walk ons (or by state law can offer no assistance at all for out-of-state walk ons). I am familiar with some in the South with those stringent rules.

Usually if the coach invites you to walk on prior to the time to submit applications, they have a spot for you on the team and can help you with admission to the extent the school allows it. Other gymnasts who apply academically on their own - and are admitted - generally may try out for the team with no guarantees.

I know of a gymnast who had a commitment taken away, but then was recently told by that college that she'd be "allowed to walk-on".
The girl hasn't applied and been accepted to this college yet.

Does anyone know what this usually means?
I believe there's no scholarship there, but does that mean she'll be allowed on the team? or just to try out?

Just curious
Too many variables to accurately give you reason, but in a nutshell it means they like her but she didn’t get it done etc... and yes she will be on the team, and get team perks . Not a bad deal. If the kid likes the school coaches then go for it

It means that for whatever reason, the school pulled her scholarship and will “allow her parents to fund her being on their team with no guarantee of funding from the school “... I’d personally move on from said school because once they balk on a kid, they’re set up for 4 years of hell

What? 4 years of hell? Based on what? You know nothing about this child school etc.... sometimes the kids don’t make the cut guys. They get committed based on what they will become as a gymnast. If I child on my team get committed and then get lazy , guess what , no money. It doesn’t mean they going to go through 4 years of hell through ..... it’s called life

I don’t know about a walk on being “welcomed” and by whom? ... If a school pulled my offer for whatever reason (no reason, injury history or shiny new thing... and I’m looking at you LSU) , I would feel really awkward about “joining “ that team.

Unless it was something like a school with a 3% admission rate and I get help getting admitted because I really want to go there , I cannot imagine being on a team that really didn’t want me ... to the point that they actually DID want me, made me an offer and then pulled the offer, saying I’m “welcome to walk on” ... sorry but I’d be going somewhere else

So if it’s a great school with low admittance rate , you will not be upset and take it but if it’s not then your upset , they don’t want me and no way?

So if it’s a great school with low admittance rate , you will not be upset and take it but if it’s not then your upset , they don’t want me and no way?

What I meant by this if I got admitted as a preferred walk on to a school with a historically low admissions rate (like Stanford) , I might still continue with the process at the original school who “committed” me as I would be interested in continuing at Stanford even if I “don’t make the cut “ for the team as you say , but I’m still at the school of my choice. I would still be upset that I was dumped but the school choice would be different.

But say I was originally committed to a school with a higher admission rate like Eastern Michigan or Southern Utah (72% acceptance rate, both nice schools but easier to get in) , AND my scholarship was pulled , I’d probably look elsewhere where there was no history. I don’t think gymnasts are always dumped because they are “lazy” but if that’s what the coaches are thinking or I’m not in their plans anymore, yeah, it would have the potential to be 4 years of hell so I’d move on . Call me crazy but I’d rather have a fresh start

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back