WAG What does it take to make a GREAT gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, apologies again for all the errors and run on sentences… and rambling. But it’s just a lot to cover and I am not a good writer.
I am going to start with the biggest subject which is fear.

Fear is a wide open swath of issues that can be interpreted differently. My definition of fear is “typical fear of any skill that eats away at the gymnast desire to conquer it”. Example, BHS on beam, “tummy hurts, back hurts, tired don’t want to do gymnastics anymore”. Typically we can just sit down with the child and find out what is bothering them and tell them it’s okay to be afraid and we will help them overcome fears.. or find another trick! It is also common to have fear if you don’t have the basics for the skill. We talk to the parents and ask that they ignore it and let us work it out. This will help us in reducing the risk of anxiety and Fear Issues. We do private lessons for fear, but not for “fear issues” .

A “Fear Issue” would be balking before or during a trick (usually an existing trick). This is a different animal. Always keep in mind that anxiety is the ultimate fuel for spreading fear issues so everything we do is to eliminate Anxiety and/or stop the fear issue at inception.

How do we do that? We learn from our mistakes, implement change and educate coaches and parents. The end result is less issues , however a total elimination of fear issues is not feasible. In other words, we are reducing our odds and increasing longevity.

What could cause fear issues and are common denominators.

*Vestibular issues (growth spurt) are a culprit for that first couple of balks after that anxiety takes over.

*Problems at home

*Problems at school

*Nervous child

*Nervous parent

*Nervous coach!

*Excessive parental viewing

*Parental pressure

*Excessive coaching pressure (asking the kid to do things that are not feasible in time frame allowed). Aka Pushing a child too fast

*A coach freaking out on a kid with fear issues will absolutely cause others in the group to catch the fear bug….

You will notice that most with the exception of Vestibular issues, all are either preventable or workable. And most importantly all of these examples will become fuel for anxiety.
Again, I am not here to debate what we do, I was asked to share this, so here it is. Our mission is to eliminate as much anxiety or potential anxiety as possible.

So how do we as a coaching staff try and stop fear issues from starting (notice I said try).

We do several things, but please note that Once the child becomes “self aware” of the fear issue it is difficult to deal with. So lets back up to that first balk.
The first thing we did in the gym was to adopt a 2 balk rule for skills the kids already have. Now the kids have no idea this is a rule because it’s a rule the coaches follow. The rule is during the same workout (a skill they already have , Example; running down the runway). First balk we ignore, second balk we immediately say, “hey I have been wanting you to work on something else today anyways”. We put them on a drill and act like that was our intent. Example. “oh wait why are you vaulting, my bad, I wanted you to do this today”. I can tell you that this approach has changed our balking level drastically. 9 times out of 10 the child returns to that event the next day and is totally fine. Its important to note that if the child balks once but goes the second time we do not react positively! We ignore it, that’s the goal, making it a non issue. At that point they will do maybe 2 more successful turns and call it a day, if they balk again we follow the 2 balk plan. Now lets circle back to “self aware” , what we are doing at the inception is everything to make sure they do not become self aware that they have a problem. In our experience a fear issue can be cemented in one workout, 3rd, 4th 5th turn . So we eliminate that. I will say that the exception could be a flyaway, for which case we can simply get on a block and spot them on a timer a couple of times, then call it a day without asking them to go alone.

Now lets say that child comes back the next day and balks again (twice)… We follow the same plan. If it happens again then we send them to a drill and absolutely take time off of the skill (or if it’s a flyaway we spot them on timers) . Depends on the child, could be a week or a month or..... This gives them a break and makes it look like we really don’t care which … drum roll…. Reduces the anxiety on the gymnasts end. The parents have to be totally on board as well, which is very difficult. Particularly since they happen oh…. The week prior to that first meet! In which case we are absolutely not doing that event at the meet. Time is your enemy or your friend people.

We try to educate the parents to about Anxiety and fear issues and ask them to stay out of gym for these reasons. They are allowed to drop in at any time but not all the time. One or two workouts a month are plenty. We also educate the parents about pressure.

Which means.

Staying out of the coaching aspect of the sport.

Don’t show disproval over performance. (you don’t have to lie, just keep it simple, “keep working at it you will get it” )

Please let us know if anything at home is bad (this is super important).

Please let us know if you DD does not want to get out of the car, feels sick when it’s gym time etc….

Please trust us when we keep your child in a level because they are not ready. (this is hard because not every gym is the same, but a track record exists online for anyone to look at it up, mymeetscores).

Please trust us when we put your kid in a certain group. (obviously this is different from gym to gym but we are talking about my gym).

Okay okay, so your kid already has fear issues, what to do? Eliminate all anxiety by ignoring it. Treat it like an injury because it is. It’s an injury of the mind. Time and patience are your only friends. Don’t do privates. Leave it be.

If we do all this does that mean we won't have fear issues? no but you will have WAY less,
Hope this helps just one person out there.

Next subject will be "Losing Interest", or more importantly keeping them interested.
Wow! You sound like a great coach! I wish I had known about this and my son's coaches had known about this before he went through his super freak out last year and had issues the three years prior. I think he is working through them well now and going for new skills he is afraid of so that is a positive...but this information could have saved a lot of heart ache!

@coachp, your insight is incredible, thank you so much for taking the time to share all of your thoughts! I've copied and pasted it all to a word doc and saved your comments to my computer for reference later. I really appreciate your expertise.

I agree! It's really valuable to get so much detailed insight from a coach.

Again, apologies for all my running sentences and grammar.

Injury and Mental Rehab

Injuries are a part of any sport so thousands of articles exist about this topic. I am going to share what we do when a gymnast sustains a long term injury. My definition of a long term injury would be a break, surgery, tear, or anything that puts the kid out for at least a couple months. Everything I am sharing is about keeping them in, I will not be going over any medical advice.

It is very important in my opinion to make sure the child is in the gym every single day for workout. They should be present for at least half the workout. During this time they do some conditioning / flexibility (whatever body part isn’t injured). And most importantly they will be watching and learning simple technique. My motto when they get injured is… “you are going to get better at something while you are injured, and gain knowledge at the same time”.

I will also ask them to go to the meets so they feel that connection to the team. Think about it, ever see an injured football player not on the sidelines during a game? So send them to the meets with another parent if you don’t want to torture yourself with music. J This is important!

Okay so those are the nuts and bolts, now lets talk about the mental aspect of it all. I am very upfront with the kids and parents. We talk about the depression that goes along with injury, because it is very real. (not all kids go through this) We talk about how normal it is to be depressed and to just come to us and talk about it. I use analogies like, “A child with a serious injury is very much like a child floating in the middle of a pool, slowly sinking. Our job is to stand on the side of the pool and encourage them to swim to us. If need be we will come in and get you, we will not let you fail”. It is common for athletes with long term injuries particularly bad ones to second guess continuing . I always ask parent to be absolute and tell the kids this. “no you loved gym prior to your injury and the ("johnsons") do not quit when we are injured. You will come back and then we can address quitting if you still want to, but until then… Not a chance”. Obviously its up to the parents to take this approach or not. If they are not willing to do this then our odds just went the wrong way.

Mental Rehab, Getting an injured athlete to wake up and return to full capacity takes time. I engage in several conversations with them about this, during rehab and when the time is right (physically and mentally) I tell them to wake up! I really do. It kind of helps them to push and reassures them that they are better now.

As a coach we have soo many stories of very talented kids who suffer season ending injuries and no one to share them with So here is one story that I would like to share.

I started coaching Kendal when she was 6. We brought her up from preteam all the way to level 10. She was generation 2 of our program so we were pretty proud of her and a few others that joined her. Kendal was on top of her game, she was Western national champion on vault, 2nd all around, then went 10 and won beam and Vault at state … colleges were all looking at her big time. Until.. Her ankle swelled up one day in for no reason , then she got "the" MRI. That tough little kid competed a whole season on a broken tibia at the base where it meets the foot… yea she said her ankle was tender, but just taped it and went on. As it turns out it was a hairline fracture that didn’t heal and a cyst developed. Surgery was in order. Okay so this is not an injury with a track record, it’s one of those weird injuries that doesn’t really have a record of gymnasts returning etc.. Many in the community wrote her off, and there was a lot of uncertainty of what the ultimate outcome would be physically, could she continue? Would the ankle heal up? Would she ever vault again? How long was the lay off? The prognosis was not good, “you are going to miss the entire season and we hope to return next season”. She was devastated, but her Dr assured her that she would in fact return. (very important, excellent Dr).

Surgery came and went, things were going fine and then 4 months later the bottom dropped out. She was in a deep funk. Colleges weren’t interested anymore, she wasn’t coming back as fast as she thought, etc… The staff, her parents and her teammates did EVERYTHING to keep her in our site. She absolutely was second guessing herself. We talked and we talked and we talked and we talked and she was down but never gave up, No way. She was hanging from a tread but refused to let go… When she was down we picked her up and dusted her off, when she wanted days off her parents would maybe give her one, but usually just dropped her of at the door. When she was upset we listened and gave her a dose of reality. “you loved it before your injury, it will pass”. When she cried we hugged her. She came to gym when she didn’t want to, she dealt with the pain when she didn’t want to, She continued not knowing anyone who had returned from this injury…. because she knew in the end… It would all pass. (You have to drill this into your kids.)

Kendal missed the whole 2015 season, and did her first meet in January of 2016, it was a travel meet to Texas and she went all the way to that meet to just do beam. I knew at that moment we had her back . The next meet she competed beam, bars and… Vault! Actually placed second on vault with a 9.55. Kendal ended up coming in 2nd AA at state that year and qualified to Nationals. In 2017 She got a 37.8 at regionals and qualified to Nationals again.

Kendal graduated high school this year and bid farewell to all of us 2 months ago. She is now a member of the top 10 D1 Gymnastics Team. So proud ! :) The lesson here is , it’s natural to get depressed, it’s natural question your body, it’s natural to question your mind, oh and... never give up

Coachp,

What are your thoughts on privates? Should the girls be able to acquire and perfect the required skills in the regular team hours? At what point do you recommend privates for your high level options gymnasts?

At some point, it seems the talent needs to be there. Can extra private time overcome lack of natural aptitude for a skill/apparatus?

Reactions: SMH
@coachp what is it inside you that makes you want to coach? Why did you pick coaching over another career? Where did the love of gymnastics come from?

Coachp,

What are your thoughts on privates? Should the girls be able to acquire and perfect the required skills in the regular team hours? At what point do you recommend privates for your high level options gymnasts?

At some point, it seems the talent needs to be there. Can extra private time overcome lack of natural aptitude for a skill/apparatus?
Privates can help for sure. And yes practice can overcome a natural aptitude for a skill. Gymnastics is pretty unnatural.

Injury and Mental Rehab

Injuries are a part of any sport so thousands of articles exist about this topic. I am going to share what we do when a gymnast sustains a long term injury. My definition of a long term injury would be a break, surgery, tear, or anything that puts the kid out for at least a couple months. Everything I am sharing is about keeping them in, I will not be going over any medical advice.

It is very important in my opinion to make sure the child is in the gym every single day for workout. They should be present for at least half the workout. During this time they do some conditioning / flexibility (whatever body part isn’t injured). And most importantly they will be watching and learning simple technique. My motto when they get injured is… “you are going to get better at something while you are injured, and gain knowledge at the same time”.

I will also ask them to go to the meets so they feel that connection to the team. Think about it, ever see an injured football player not on the sidelines during a game? So send them to the meets with another parent if you don’t want to torture yourself with music. J This is important!

Okay so those are the nuts and bolts, now lets talk about the mental aspect of it all. I am very upfront with the kids and parents. We talk about the depression that goes along with injury, because it is very real. (not all kids go through this) We talk about how normal it is to be depressed and to just come to us and talk about it. I use analogies like, “A child with a serious injury is very much like a child floating in the middle of a pool, slowly sinking. Our job is to stand on the side of the pool and encourage them to swim to us. If need be we will come in and get you, we will not let you fail”. It is common for athletes with long term injuries particularly bad ones to second guess continuing . I always ask parent to be absolute and tell the kids this. “no you loved gym prior to your injury and the ("johnsons") do not quit when we are injured. You will come back and then we can address quitting if you still want to, but until then… Not a chance”. Obviously its up to the parents to take this approach or not. If they are not willing to do this then our odds just went the wrong way.

Mental Rehab, Getting an injured athlete to wake up and return to full capacity takes time. I engage in several conversations with them about this, during rehab and when the time is right (physically and mentally) I tell them to wake up! I really do. It kind of helps them to push and reassures them that they are better now.

As a coach we have soo many stories of very talented kids who suffer season ending injuries and no one to share them with So here is one story that I would like to share.

I started coaching Kendal when she was 6. We brought her up from preteam all the way to level 10. She was generation 2 of our program so we were pretty proud of her and a few others that joined her. Kendal was on top of her game, she was Western national champion on vault, 2nd all around, then went 10 and won beam and Vault at state … colleges were all looking at her big time. Until.. Her ankle swelled up one day in for no reason , then she got "the" MRI. That tough little kid competed a whole season on a broken tibia at the base where it meets the foot… yea she said her ankle was tender, but just taped it and went on. As it turns out it was a hairline fracture that didn’t heal and a cyst developed. Surgery was in order. Okay so this is not an injury with a track record, it’s one of those weird injuries that doesn’t really have a record of gymnasts returning etc.. Many in the community wrote her off, and there was a lot of uncertainty of what the ultimate outcome would be physically, could she continue? Would the ankle heal up? Would she ever vault again? How long was the lay off? The prognosis was not good, “you are going to miss the entire season and we hope to return next season”. She was devastated, but her Dr assured her that she would in fact return. (very important, excellent Dr).

Surgery came and went, things were going fine and then 4 months later the bottom dropped out. She was in a deep funk. Colleges weren’t interested anymore, she wasn’t coming back as fast as she thought, etc… The staff, her parents and her teammates did EVERYTHING to keep her in our site. She absolutely was second guessing herself. We talked and we talked and we talked and we talked and she was down but never gave up, No way. She was hanging from a tread but refused to let go… When she was down we picked her up and dusted her off, when she wanted days off her parents would maybe give her one, but usually just dropped her of at the door. When she was upset we listened and gave her a dose of reality. “you loved it before your injury, it will pass”. When she cried we hugged her. She came to gym when she didn’t want to, she dealt with the pain when she didn’t want to, She continued not knowing anyone who had returned from this injury…. because she knew in the end… It would all pass. (You have to drill this into your kids.)

Kendal missed the whole 2015 season, and did her first meet in January of 2016, it was a travel meet to Texas and she went all the way to that meet to just do beam. I knew at that moment we had her back . The next meet she competed beam, bars and… Vault! Actually placed second on vault with a 9.55. Kendal ended up coming in 2nd AA at state that year and qualified to Nationals. In 2017 She got a 37.8 at regionals and qualified to Nationals again.

Kendal graduated high school this year and bid farewell to all of us 2 months ago. She is now a member of the top 10 D1 Gymnastics Team. So proud ! :) The lesson here is , it’s natural to get depressed, it’s natural question your body, it’s natural to question your mind, oh and... never give up

I don't know that my dd will make it to college gymnastics, but she had a very severe injury that kept her out of the gym for over a year. Like really out - not ever setting foot in the gym. We kept her focused on coming back even when she couldn't go. We spent months talking her through it all. She came back. It was by far the hardest thing she had ever done and it seemed might kill us all. But she came back. She even moved up a level with her return and had a very successful season. IT WAS WORTH IT! Overcoming this and coming back will help her overcome hard things for the rest of her life. And it gave her purpose and a goal when she was out. I totally agree that kids should not quit when they are out hurt. Come back and then decide. Don't go out on such a down note.

what would you say is the percentage of girls who do suffer what you described as a "long term injury"?

also, are most of the injuries acute traumatic injury (ie, fall, broken elbow) or chronic overuse/repetitive type injury (elbow OCD, chronic labral injury/dislocations)? if the latter, what is the role of overtraining/too many hours?

Injury and Mental Rehab

It seems like you usually have to be lucky enough to end up with an elite caliber coach from the time you are little who can focus almost exclusively on you. Shawn had Chow since she first started there because she just happened to be one of his first gymnasts. Nastia always had her dad. It's nearly impossible to find an elite level coach who is willing to coach a six year old. At most gyms the beginners are not with the big time coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back