What does this update mean? (Grade 3 beam)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
I've been watching a few youtube videos to see the national grade 3 beam requirements. I notice that some sit on the beam before the russian lever, and some go straight into it. But my googling also turned this up, but I don't quite understand the way it is written.

https://www.british-gymnastics.org/...ens-artistic/8120-ndp-grades-2017-update/file

Does that mean that you have to jump to a pike hold, you can then sit down on the beam, but you must hold a pike hold again before lifting the legs into a russian lever? Or are you not actually allowed to sit on the beam before the lever and that is a deduction?

From my understanding of this as a judge, I have taught my gymnasts to do the mount without jumping to poke hold (more of a jump through pike to sit) then lift with control and show the pike hold on the way to russian. But no, it is not a deduction to sit on the beam :)

Thank you for the reply. In my mind that makes it easier to 'sit and have a little rest' on the beam!
We have had a Christmas full of attempted russian levers - I'm in awe of the girls that just seem to be able to do it.

That's ok. Yes, that is why I teach it this way. Some gymnasts prefer not stopping, but most find it easier to stop because then they can't lift to pike and swing to Russian :) unfortunately the Russian mount is one of those moves that some gymnasts can just do, others will struggle and some will never get a beautiful Russian lever. My HC thinks they should give 2 mounts to choose from. A flexible one and a less flexible one, because Russians and Japanas are hard if you don't have flexibility x

oooh so does that mean national 4 bars is now with a metal bar top and a wood bar bottom? So they have to giant between the bar set not on a single bar? or am I misreading that. Some kids won't like that!

Yes it does mean that. And they've left it quite late to say so, because some kids take months to adjust to having a low bar in. However, should be ok for the in-age kids as they are younger so will bars right out they will be nowhere near the low bar.

It's funny, because when I learned giants I learned on metal single bar. Then single wood bar. Then single wood bar with a theraband type thing in place of a low bar. Then finally a full bar set.

Yes it does mean that. And they've left it quite late to say so, because some kids take months to adjust to having a low bar in. However, should be ok for the in-age kids as they are younger so will bars right out they will be nowhere near the low bar.

I wasn't aware there was 'in age' for National grades. Or is that a new thing too? I thought in age only applied to compulsory elite track kids. I mean if you are in age you are not doing national grades, you are doing compulsory grades. There is never any age distinction at national finals for National Grades. All the kids aged 10- 16+ are in together ?

I wouldn't be against having an age range for national finals of National grades. So you can only go if you are say 10-14 for Nat 4, 10-15 for Nat 3, 10-16 for Nat 2 and open for Nat 1. Or even smaller range.

I took 'in age' to just mean the youngest age that you can do the grade. That is how people seem to refer to it around our local area. With the understanding that 'out of age' girls can still qualify for the national final.

Having a DD that did national 4 last year and had her toes touch the floor mat as she gianted, I like the fact that at least the bar will be full height this year! I suspect that a lot of national 4 girls will not be troubled by the low bar being in due to their height. But for those that it does impact on there is quite a big step up in difficulty learning to avoid that bar.

yep, buts it a bugger if you have a normally sized for hr age gymnast with legs that seem to go on forever, like her grandmother, but oh no, did I get them, no I get the stumpy thunder thighs that her grandad dished out, whilst...............Oh, yes sorry, not much notice

((head off grumbling to the kitchen to see how tea is doing ))

I took 'in age' to just mean the youngest age that you can do the grade. That is how people seem to refer to it around our local area. With the understanding that 'out of age' girls can still qualify for the national final.

Having a DD that did national 4 last year and had her toes touch the floor mat as she gianted, I like the fact that at least the bar will be full height this year! I suspect that a lot of national 4 girls will not be troubled by the low bar being in due to their height. But for those that it does impact on there is quite a big step up in difficulty learning to avoid that bar.

Where does it say about the bar height. I thought it was usual height before? I mean they just took the bottom bar out of a normal set of A bars didn't they? Are you thinking because there were safety mats under before? Does it say no mats now.

I am just a parent - no change in wording that I know of. At the location we went to they used an adjustable single bar and it wasn't as high as the usual top bar. They removed a thin mat before her competition go so that her feet just skimmed the floor, but she has no problems gianting on a normal height bar.

I am just a parent - no change in wording that I know of. At the location we went to they used an adjustable single bar and it wasn't as high as the usual top bar. They removed a thin mat before her competition go so that her feet just skimmed the floor, but she has no problems gianting on a normal height bar.

oh that makes sense. We just used a bar set and took the bottom bar out so it was the same as normal. But I think there was a safety mat underneath too.

No there isn't an actual in-age category. But there are gymnasts that compete at the youngest age possible for each grade if they are at a club that doesn't do compulsories or gymnasts that aren't compulsory standard. So by in-age I just meant minimum age. And there are also a lot of gymnasts that compete national grades a year or 2 above min age due to failing the grade or failing compulsory 5/4/3

oh that makes sense. We just used a bar set and took the bottom bar out so it was the same as normal. But I think there was a safety mat underneath too.

This is what we do in my area. Either normal bar set with low bar out. Or single rail set at standard height

On the 'in-age' thing, quite a lot of clubs in our area seem to be keeping their 'in-age' kids out of grades altogether and just training them for Challenge Cup. Could make for some interesting comps, especially if enough make the pass-mark into the British..

A lot did make it this year! I think some clubs are going down the out of age compulsory route with challenge cup along the way until they qualify one way or the other. Great for late starters. Great to reduce stress possibly too! I think we will see a lot more girls coming into the British at espoir and junior and straight into British squad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back