Parents What does your gymnast do when the gym is closed for vacation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilbert

Proud Parent
Hi. Our gym closes for 10 days at the end of June and the end of August. Just wondering if any of your gymnasts do anything to keep up their skills when your gym closes. Conditioning is easy, but what about skills?

We have family vacation when the gym closes for two weeks in the summer. Our DDs coach gives a conditioning sheet to the girls but we certainly don't enforce it. she's naturally really active so I don't worry about her losing skills when she's off. their bodies need rest.

Our gym is closed for two weeks at the beginning of summer and two weeks at the end of summer. One of those weeks we'll go on vacation and during the others, DS will do a few camps for interests other than gymnastics -- rock climbing, fencing, chess, art, etc. I'm glad he gets a chance to explore other activities; with the high hours he's training, he doesn't get to do much of that otherwise.

For conditioning, the rock climbing is awesome, and he'll do exercises on his pull up bar. I have zero worries about skills being lost -- it's never happened before and even if he did lose some, there is plenty of time to catch up before the season.

Our old gym closed from mid June to mid September every year, then a further three weeks off at xmas. Just imagine that. Then imagine how much pain they were in after a few months off gym trying to get back in to shape.

We tried to keep them busy, a few weeks of gym camp, swimming, biking etc. But it just is not the same.

I find that at the higher levels, dd is training level 9, it's more difficult to maintain those new skills and keep up when you get back after a 10-day break. There are no coaches available for privates and she has done gymnastics camps for the last 5 years and is not interested in going back. I guess she'll just have to do conditioning and hope for the best.

I don't know of any gyms around here that close for that long. Our gym closes for two weeks over Christmas break for all the rec classes, but the team still comes in to practice. It's modified and they usually get a few days off over Christmas and New years, but since it's right before season starts, there's no way they'd get two weeks, or even one week off then.

They do give the team a break (with no gym closure, though) usually last week of May/1st of June over Memorial Day weekend, then the team moves to morning work outs for summer.
This year they will get another week off over the 4th of July due to the holiday and the fact that most of our team coaches will be heading to Cali for National Congress.

My kids swim, swim, swim. We see movies, go bowling, go to the aquarium, ice skate, etc. Sometimes we head to San Diego and stay at the beach. It's too hot out here in the desert to do anything outside in the summer unless you are swimming. They have no interest in going to a gymnastics camp.
They need the physical and mental break. It makes them eager to get back into the gym after that week off.

Dd's gym is just closed for the 4th of July week. She won't be doing any real gymnastics during that time. I am sure she'll do her usual playing around at home, but that is just stuff like handstands, etc.

Our old gym closed from mid June to mid September every year, then a further three weeks off at xmas. Just imagine that. Then imagine how much pain they were in after a few months off gym trying to get back in to shape.

We tried to keep them busy, a few weeks of gym camp, swimming, biking etc. But it just is not the same.

Wow! That's crazy! I imagine it's great healing for their bodies, but I would be so fearful of loosing skills! Does your gym deal with high level gymnasts. Just curious!

Open gyms at a nearby gym ... Playing in the back yard... Swimming... Bike riding... Climbing on things... Going crazy

Wow! That's crazy! I imagine it's great healing for their bodies, but I would be so fearful of loosing skills! Does your gym deal with high level gymnasts. Just curious!

Currently the highest level is about JO9. Most girls stalled out around 6/7 as it is very hard to progress and have consistent conditioning with such huge breaks.

Small town living at it's best. This gym was a 40 minute one way commute, next nearest was 60 mins one way, but they also took long breaks.

Our gym closes the week of July 4th and again for half a week at the end of August. We always take a family vacation during the August week and this year both girls are going to gymnastics camp the week the gym is closed in July.

Same as most: sleep in, watch TV/Netflix, hang with friends, sleepovers, sometimes she'll do an open gym... Though usually any open gyms are just social hour - she really doesn't "train". She mostly screws around for fun with teammates. Usually little bro is there with a teammate or two and it turns into wars girls vs boys. Sometimes we'll do a quick getaway, but try not to travel too long. We like her having some downtime at home.

Usually she drives me crazy by the end of the break.

Thankfully there is usually just one full week to ten days off, with couple of smaller breaks around holidays. Perhaps if it were more frequent, I'd feel different.

My kids are bored out of their MINDS! They have way too much energy! I usually take them to as many open gyms as I can as well as private lessons :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back