What event do you like to start on at a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Just wondering what event everyone prefers to start on in competition & why? I know my DD likes to start on vault. She has a powerful vault & likes to do it before she gets too tired out later in the meet. Curious how others feel about it.

They both hate starting on beam. Littlest prefers not being first in any rotation. Floor first would be best for both. They don't like capital cup, but I do as it goes faster.

good thread gymjourneymom! I have always thought about this.

I think i prefer the Olympic rotation vault-bars-beam-floor.
1. vault -Even if you're super nervous at the start of the meet it won't be noticeable on vault. Plus it is one of my/if not my best event so it's a good start to get the confidence going and the nerves out of the way.
2. bars - i'm not too fond of bars so i like to get it out of the way.
3. beam - i like beam either 3rd or last, just so im a little less nervous.
4. floor - I like having floor last because for me it's a fun way to end the meet.

I can't vault for my life if its first because i'll go wild.
I like bars first.
Beam first is nice because you get it over with =]
Floor can be 2nd or 3rd, not 1st or 4th.
The past 2 meets i was on beam first and it worked out good

I can't vault for my life if its first because i'll go wild.
I like bars first.
Beam first is nice because you get it over with =]
Floor can be 2nd or 3rd, not 1st or 4th.
The past 2 meets i was on beam first and it worked out good

I freak out if beam is first! It makes me so nervous. ugh even thinking about it makes me nervous haha

I prefer uhmm... well the olympic rotation =]

I like getting vault outta the way cause i vault at 1'25 and its just as tall as me !
than i like doing bars . cause i dont care much for it.
then beam , i hate beam but i never fall. but i like to get it over with.
then floor , i la la la LOVE floor ! so i love to end the meet with a burst of power and fun !
:D

Beam first. It is my strongest on most consistent event. Its also the most fun.

My DD would be in awe of you:D! She HATES to start on beam, freaks her out for the whole meet, like Robindq said.

Thats funny because it calms me down for the rest of the meet :D But I've learned that as you get higher in the levels you start to get less nervous. I used to shake so bad in compulsory levels!

Interesting thread Gymjourneymom!!! Considering that dd just started gymnastics and she only has 4 meets under her belt, so far she has started on everything except bars. I don't think she realizes yet that gymnasts often have a preference to what event they "like to start on". That is probably a good thing!!! So far, she has taken the event order in stride and seems to do pretty well starting on any event. Let's keep our fingers crossed to whether she keeps this mentality as she gets older!!!

Vault because it was so diabolical I would actually know if I had any chance of winning by the time I got to the last rotation!
I was consistently last on vault haha.

I don't mind really what I start on or when I go. Our gym did alphabetical order anyway, so you didn't really get a preference.

This season I always wanted to go first on beam (L6), because of huge fear issues w/ BWOs, and most of the problems at meets were because it had been too long since I'd warmed one up, so if we went first on beam, there would be the least amount of time between warming it up and competing it. But, alas, we ALWAYS started on bars. I mean, out of our entire season we started on bars every time but once! Oh, and listen to (or read) how smart I am: I just figured out at the beginning of this season (third year competing), that the events go in alphabetical order when you compete.:p:rolleyes::eek::eek: Aren't I smart?:p

Ok, my kid is backwards. She really doesn't have a big preference as to where she starts, but does as to what her last event will be. Absolutely hates to end the meet on beam---doesn't love starting there, but figures its out of the way if she has to.

Beam :]

My old gym always had the same rotation, beam, bars, vault, floor. I loved starting out with beam for a few reasons, one, it's nice to get it over with. If you mess up, you have the rest of the beam to catch up. Two, it was my favorite event, and usually at the beginning of the meet I wasn't soo nervous because it was the first event and any mistakes you can just try to cover up later. Thirdly, I had knee issues, so it was nice to get bars and beam out of the way, then I could just have pain towards the end of the meet.

I think if I had beam any later than the 2nd rotation, I wouldn't like it because it's a lot of pressure to end with.

As mom, I would like to see dd start on bars. She just seems to have had good meets when she started on bars.

States this Sunday, would love for a bars draw. There is supposed to be a blind draw the night before the meet. Funny thing, it seems every time there is a blind draw our team gets beam first.... :rolleyes:

EWW I would hate beam first! I'm always super nervous for my first event, which on beam translates to wobbles galore! I like vault first. It's the only one you get a second chance on! If you forget how to run because you're so nervous after the first one nerves go away and then all is good!

i like to start on bars because then i get to get it and beam out of the way and save vault for last because it is my best event so i can finish out the meet on a high note.
i hate beam because i shake so bad (i am a level 6). in practice i won't wobble or anything like that, but when we get to a meet...well, i wobble and shake on EVERYTHING!! so i definatly don't like to finish on beam or start on beam :)

I'm the oddball of the bunch because if I had to choose, I would definitely choose beam first. It's a strong event for both me and my team, and I like to be relaxed and not too wound up or excited when I compete beam. Ending on bars is great because I start to muscle my routine when I'm nervous, but if it's last event, I'm much better at letting myself swing. I also don't mind doing vault first because ending on floor is always fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back