WAG What goes through your mind when you compete??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I tend to think stuff like: "Ok nice, now go, um ok keep going, good hollow, almost done" ect. My mind sort of goes blank on floor...

My mental process when I was competing was to correctly image image until the green flag, the most challenging skill being done correctly done correctly. Once the routine started it narrowed to a "focus list" of the one thing I had to do to give each skill it's best start, and then "feeling the skill or taking visual cues as the skill progressed to compensate as needed.

If something was a little off, I'd focus on regaining control, and leave it behind me. I liked looking at it from the stand point that each skill was a separate 10.0 opportunity. This helped me focus and be pretty immune from what had happened or what might happen later in the routine. It always amazed me how much time a 25-30 second routine seemed to take.

Before, when I'm just hanging with my team or something, I just keep my mind busy. I stretch, do a couple walkovers, ect.
When I'm on the floor, I think about the task at hand. Ex. For a double flyaway, I'd think something like...
"Tight handstand, strong giant, point toes, stay tight, let go, tuck tight, spot mat, don't move."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back