What happened to Samantha?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know she only competed on bars, just like Alicia, and on another thread here, I read that she sprained her ankle in warmup, but why isn't their any press coverage of that? It's pretty sad for both her and Chellsie that their olympic competition got watered down to competing on one event only and possibly for only one day of competition.

oops, I had intended to make this post a thread by itself and it originally ended up here by accident. I just deleted this since I now realize what I did. :eek:

While I'm not sure about Sam being doing anything "beautiful", she is a consistent backup...however, I'm going to guess that her spot in the lineup was always heavily dependent on what she and the others did in training.

I do feel for Chellsie. Ah well.

Injuries

Anyone else wondering if they are kicking themselves now for keeping Chellsie and not giving Jana or Ivana a chance? I know there was no way to predict Sam's injury, but they should have been trying to prepare themselves for anything and everything.

Anyone else wondering if they are kicking themselves now for keeping Chellsie and not giving Jana or Ivana a chance? I know there was no way to predict Sam's injury, but they should have been trying to prepare themselves for anything and everything.

Realistically, Memmel had the best chance of hitting, had the most experience, and could possibly beat Hong and Bieger with a fall. They are probably okay with their choice.

I only meant after she injuried herself before podium training. At that point, they know she would only compete bars.

I wonder that too, but I'll bet the Karolyi's rarely doubt their own wisdom!

Personally, I think it would be nice to know they have a bit more 'cushion' in terms of how many athletes they have to draw from. But there's never any guarantees, even w/ 6 healthy athletes, I guess.

The thing that bummed me out was that the alternates could not at least be w/ the rest of their team, to feel a part of it (after all, they still are part of the National team!) and to cheer them on.

Oh well...

I talked to her cousin who is there and also my best friend, she didn't sprain it, just badly twisted it and it is very swollen. Hopefully she will be better for team finals and can hopefully compete vault.

You are absolutely right. As much as I like Chellsie, I think they should have pulled her the moment they knew she was injured and brought in Ivana, who could be available to perform all 4 events. That way, they would be covered no matter what could possibly happen. In this crazy sport, you never know! They should NOT have brought to Beijing any gymnast that is too injured to perform every event when they had three alternates ready and willing to step in. Now, with Sam's injury, they are without any cushioning at all. Big mistake!

I really don't think Jana could have gotten the scores they needed anyway. Ivana, as excellent as her form can be, has received low scores internationally in the past, even with her being one of my favorite gymnasts. (Though I don't think that is taken into account. :p )

Even with Sam getting injured, the ladies got the job done. They now have a bit more experience with pressure of Olympic proportions by having the 4-up, 4 count in prelims. It would have been nice to have Sam, but I don't think it was a disaster or anything like that. It wreaks for her personally, though. Word is, she still may compete team finals, if her ankle feels better.

Actually - if the USA didn't make some big mistakes (Alicia out of bounds, Nastia falling, Chellsie falling, etc.) it looks like we could have beaten China. Then again they made some mistakes too. It is definitely going to be really close in the finals though. And I think if Shawn stays as consistent as she is - she has a really good shot at the individual all around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back