Parents What has your gym done in response to the Nassar Scandal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mdot

Proud Parent
Has your gym done anything in response to the Nassar case? Released a statement on safety at the gym, proposed a workshop for their athletes on speaking up to protect their well-being, or anything else? Also, I would like to know if you think they should do anything.

I find it shocking that some gyms haven't made any sort of statement. Really disappointing. Our gym released a statement on how they keep their athletes safe, the certifications and training of their coaches, etc. I appreciated it, and given the gym's culture, it felt sincere.

Honestly, gym owners have their heads in the sand if they think the Nassar case has not hurt the sport. I had two different moms approach me (they know my girls are fairly involved in the sport) and express concern about the safety of the sport overall. Both said they strongly considered pulling their young daughters out of their rec classes.

Our gym sent out a mass email about Safe Sport and reiterated the athlete/coach and coach/parent boundaries even before the Nassar sentencing.

Our gym sent an e-mail to every parent at the gym (rec and team) giving some details of the safety practices they had in place and providing a link to safesport for more information. It was sent in early spring of 2017. I already knew the gym followed safe practices but they were probably sending it due to what was going on, although they did not reference that situation directly.

I asked this same question on the larger Nassar thread and was really upset that my gym had said nothing. And then we got a statement over the weekend - saying essentially what you guys noted up top. Citing Safe Sport, noting that the gym participates, that coaches get twice yearly training, and saying they were available for questions. I felt much better having gotten something. I wish it had come sooner, but I was glad it came at all.

We have had several messages and changes based on it. Athlete Code of conduct was updated, parents were also required to sign a statement they’d read the policy and a few other things.

Our gym sent an e-mail to every parent at the gym (rec and team) giving some details of the safety practices they had in place and providing a link to safesport for more information. It was sent in early spring of 2017. I already knew the gym followed safe practices but they were probably sending it due to what was going on, although they did not reference that situation directly.

Same here, our gym already had the policies in place, but in light of the current situation it is important for everyone to know very clearly and to be reminded every now and then.

Oh it is definitely good to remind parents. I would go way further than my gym did. I like the idea mentioned above of having the parents sign something saying they read the policy. In fact I think there should be mandatory safety classes held periodically for the parents, or for the parents and coaches to take together. Just somehow, much more info disseminated and as much openness around the subject as possible. Because ignorance is the enemy.

But we cannot rely on the gyms to do this part for us. Informing ourselves is our responsibility. With so much information - accurate information- about the subject of child abuse and what actions can help protect them at the tips of our fingers, we parents have no excuses for ignorance any more. Having knowledge and acting on that knowledge and using that knowledge to be ever vigilant will provide more protection than anything else- for our children and other children. We have to stop waiting and hoping that others protect our children. It is up to us.

Our Parent group held a training last weekend for parents on recognizing abuse and how to report it. The gym owner attended and reviewed what the gym already has in place and what updates they were working on, which is mostly changes to their social media policies.

I guess because our gym reviews it yearly with parents, and it is part of our team contract, that I did not feel I needed more.

Our head coach emailed the parents about a week ago to let all of us parents know that she would not be discussing any of it with the girls as she didn't feel it was her place to do so (we have some very young girls on the team, as young as 8 years old). But they have implemented the safe sport policy and sent a copy of that to all of the parents and let them know that they were available to answer any questions that any of the parents have.

I just received an e-mailed statement that was written by our gym owner. It was lengthy but showed support for the victims, a bit about what the gym does for kids safety and the gym is giving teal ribbons to the optional
Girls to wear this season as a sign of the gym’s support of the gym’s support if the victims. (Though they are not requiring anyone to wear it.)

I just received an e-mailed statement that was written by our gym owner. It was lengthy but showed support for the victims, a bit about what the gym does for kids safety and the gym is giving teal ribbons to the optional
Girls to wear this season as a sign of the gym’s support of the gym’s support if the victims. (Though they are not requiring anyone to wear it.)
Mostly, I just appreciate that the gym was not silent on the issue.

our gym sent a letter that was approved but he board members (I am one so We all had say in it ) so that the parents know what safety policies we have in place , they all are up but just a reiteration so parents and gymnasts are more comfortable

Reactions: sce
They haven't come out and said anything to directly respond to the abuse scandal. However, they did send out an updated Team document, and the attached is part of that document. I suppose you could say this is a response.

20180205_112221.png

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back