What i love is being crushed by others

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was practicing at home today and my dad came up to me and told me to stop showing off. He then said "You must show off all the time at school, thinking that your better then everyone else". (He wasn't joking around)

I got really sad because i only practice gymnastics at home and i dont practice at school because i'm scared that people might think that i'm showing off.

I was so sad that I cried all night.:(

I'm confused because i LOVE LOVE LOVE gymnastics and now when I do it I get put downs.

I would tell you what my response to such a comment would be, but it would not be appropriate for a family-friendly board such as this one.

Ignore him.

Last edited:
sounds like your dad has problems. this does not foretell of anything good and i hope things get better.

Talk it out with your dad. It hurts I know, but maybe if you ask him why he thinks your showing off would help. If that doesn't work...see a counsler. If someone in your family is trying to stop you and is putting you down it's serious. My best friend had this same promblem (except it was her older brother) and it turned out he was doing...ahem, not good things and the parent never knew! Ok, side-tracking here, but if it's something you love NOBODY should stop you! :D That sounded cheezy....

I agree, have a talk with your dad. He probably did not realize his comment hurt you so badly. If talking to him doesn't work, I second the counseling option. Especially if you can convince your family to do family counseling, as it is likely that your dad's bad attitude is hurtful to more than just you.

~Katy

When I was a kid and my dad said stuff like that, it was actually because he was envious that I could do those things.

When people make comments like that to us, we have to realize that they are viewing the world through the lens of their own personal experiences and their current mood, and most of the time, what other people say to us isn't really about us at all, it's about them. For example, if you bump into someone, and they start yelling at you, are they really mad at you, or are they mad that they got in a car accident fifteen minutes earlier?

Your dad's comment sounds like it's his issue and not really about you, but try to respect his feelings and practice somewhere out of the way if you can.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back