Parents What if...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, I was thinking today. For the most part, I am happy with Beetle's gym. But if I could change just one or two things what would they be?

1. More variety in Optional skills. It seems that all our gymnasts train the same skills, Vault 1 year of Tsuks, then Yurchenkos. Beam, BHS then BHS BHS then BHS BLO, not FHS, FWO, Ariels etc. Bars, Kips, Giants, Shootovers, Pirouettes no straddlebacks or those cool all around the bars in a straddle (whatever they are called. And floor - Twists, doublebacks, Front through to LO/Twist. etc. No Whips or variety.

2. Consistency but with understanding. Rules change from day to day or year to year. But then there bending or adjusting the rules. If someone is hurt they are either 100% in or they are out.. No Bars only for instance. Or you compete all 4 events or you dont compete at all.

3. (My post - I get 3 LOL) I wish we had something other than USAG. With Beetle's struggles right now with Beam and her breakthrough on vault. I wish she could uptrain Vault and Floor and just work through beam.

What one or two things would make the difference in your gym life?

I would definitely say better communication and for it to be easier to approach the coaches. Also to have more notice of the meet schedule for the year. Other than that I am happy with the coaching and the way the owner runs her program.

The one thing I would change would be smaller class sizes. It works well as it is,.. There are 16 girls working out last night with 2 coaches. They were divided by levels-USAG1 and 2 and then USAG 3 and 4. I feel like the 3's and 4's could use some more independent time. Although, the level 4's get an empty gym on Friday's. Really I don't have a complaint, but this is what I would change. LOL

Skill wise: daught is still struggling with ROBHS, but is trying to throw front punches, back tucks, FWO, etc. Although lately because of the ROBHS, they have stopped training her on these skills. She says she misses them.
Bars, she has her level 4 excpet the dismount. SO no kip training for her.

It going to be hard to only pick two things. :D

(1) Better communication with the coaches and HC/owner.

(2) Handing out the meet schedule, practice schedule and letting the girls know what Level they are competing in a more timely manner.

(3) Sorry, I have to add three. Holding each girl the same set of standards(as far as skills go) instead of saying things like "well "D" is going into HS and even though she doesn't have her L8 skills we are going to move her up and since your DD is still in elementary school and does have all of her skills but one, we are going to have her repeat because she is still young." Makes me want to scream!

Hmm, this thread caught me on a bad day. :D

I wish they would have more follow through- they change the skills needed for each level for no apparent reason, they start a program like strength on Mondays skills on Weds. routines on Fri and then abandon it, and they make arbitrary rules like you have to have a certain skill to be on a particular level even though the skill cannot be competed at that level then drop it.

I wish they would have a parent board or booster club so we could do some fundraising and we could follow through on some things the gym doesn't keep up with.

I wish they weren't as tough on the girls when they're struggling--more understanding or something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back