What Injuries Have You/Your Child Experienced From this Sport?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LOL. This is list is going to be so long.

*To many sprains on ankles, knees, wrists, elbows etc.... to count.
* Serious bruised eye (everyone thought I was wearing eye shadow)
* hyper extended elbow and knee
* cracked wrist
*broken toe
*so many sprained fingers, ripped hands,& blood blisters that I can't even count
* a slight concussion
* something about my vertebrae being out of line
* tons of beam splits
* pulled muscle in my neck
I think thats all. :)

Hmm, my worst injury was (is?) a herniated disk between L5-S1-- that kept me out for about 4 months and will never totally heal. Other than that, I sprained my right ankle 2x and my left ankle once-- those kept me out for about 6 weeks each, and I also tore the joint capsule and ligaments in my foot. The more minor things... I had Achilles tendonitis and a pulled rotator cuff, but those really only limited me on certain things for about a year.

I have consistent back and shoulder pain, plus...
hyper extended knee
fractured rib
couple broken fingers
couple broken toes
and lots of bruises :)

~broke both wrists at the same time
~broken hip (3 months on crutches)
~torn rotator cuff
~3 fractures in ^ shoulder
~shattered foot (2 surgeries) (4.5 months on crutches)
~tore something in my knee
~2 concussions
~re -injured hip
~cracked head open on mini tramp
~then of course all the sprains strains broken fingers and toes and all that yadda yadda

DD's list is thankfully short at this time (Knocking on wood)

~ fractured growth plate in her wrist (out 8.5 weeks)
~ broken pinkie toe
~ sprained ankle - twice, same one
~ beam burn..........

Most of my injuries are from bars and yet I love it :p

-Hyperextended elbow
-Sprained ankles
-Two herniated discs (L3-L4, L4-L5)
-Bruised both heels from landing a flyaway on concrete...
-Jammed big toe that split open from punching off from the spring board
-Concussion from catching my neck on a straddle back
-Osteoarthritis, spondylosis in my back

And yet I hate going to the Drs or to PT to get them corrected :p

with all my time in gymnastics I was injury free until I hit level 8, from there I had:
-hyperexteded knee
-dislocated elbow
-sprained ankle
-stress fractures in that ankle
-osgood schlatter
-fallen arches
-huge cut in my mouth from hitting my face on my knees. thank goodness no stitches!

fractured the bottom of my left foot(in a cast 6 weeks)
buckle fracture in my left wrist (cast 2 weeks)
broken growth plate in right ankle(cast 3 weeks,boot 2 weeks, and brace 4ever
a couple of broken fingers
broken toe
stress fracture in my right wrist
sprained right ankle

In the last few months, I have sprained both ankles, sprained my toe, and of course, numerous other bruises that make me look like I get beaten on a daily basis lol. Oh, and irritated shin splints, a condition I had previously, but definatley was exasperated by gymnastics.

Latest and worst injury.... (from vaulting)

-umm I don't even know what to call it because my doctor and pt don't really know what's wrong with it.. but it's been since November and now I'm down to two more weeks in a cast, so were hoping that works!

*Key thing... if your hurt, you should probably tell someone right away, I waited until March to tell my mom.. opps!:indifferent:

My 13 year old daughter has had patellar tendonitis (Osgood-Schlatters) and has had knee pain from that for the last few months. She needs physical therapy for that at least once a week and is about 90% better. She also has hypermobility and needs regular therapy for that.
Our gym is owned by a Sports Medicine Physician and her office is on-site. The physical therapist is also on-site. Injuries and dislocations are taken care of promptly and the gymnasts are able to get back to training much faster. They also consult with coaches and oversee the training to prevent injuries.

Doing a roundoff off beam in a competition my hand slipped and I faceplanted the end of the beam :( Not seriously injured but it really hurt!

Also missed my feet once doing a cartwheel too fast on high beam without a mat and landed with one leg either side of the beam, totally the most embarassing injury ever!

Also I broke my hand learning to do cartwheels the wrong way - I misstimed my hands and couldn't stop do I ended up crushing my right hand, and now my middle finger top 2 joints point 10 degrees too far right and sit under my ring finger!

Luckily nothing awful though, can still do gymnastics!

Interestingly enough, my daughter never got hurt during the 3 years while she was in gymnastics. But, since then it's been one thing after another. She just broke her arm yesterday while on roller blades. Sigh...

here's the list from not so bad to bad:
hyper-extended knees
sprained ankles
sprained wrists
sprained knees
broken toes
broken fingers
potella tendonitis (or something like that)
achilles tendonitis
torn ligaments in knees and ankles
torn hamstring
dislocated shoulder
dislocated knee
and herniated disk.
that's probably only half of them haha.
but it's so, so worth it to me.

Wow .. what gymnast hasn't been hurt?
I have been doing gymn for 13 years (got to be a level 10/Elite) and had good coaching all along. My body finally has been worn down and I am coaching now.

I have had:
- multiple concussions
- broke 4 bones in the top of my left foot and 3 in my right (same day)
- broke left wrist twice
- broken both ankles (at different times)
- have broken multiple ribs
- multiple strains/bruises/rips/and jammed fingers and toes
- CRPS in my right knee
- broke a vertibra in my back

The last two are what ended my gymnastics career. My back is so sore all the time now that it is hard enough to coach/spot ... let alone do competitive gymnastics anymore. I have to get steroid injections into my knee just to calm down the pain now. :(

Through all of this though, I still have no regrets. I have so many lasting memories and have made so many friends that will last me a life time. I love the sport so much.

Injuries

Fortunately, my little flipper has only had the usual bumps and bruises associated with being a very active kid. She is 10, working L8, so it's not for lack of opportunity. Last weekend, Flipper and her brother were seeing who could kick higher (as if that is a fair contest) and she gave herself a bloody nose :p That's it - and I am thankful!

injuries

Thankfully I've only had one serious injury that took what seemed like forever to heal until I could go back to the gym. That injury was a broken foot from vaulting. Also I've pulled muscles many times and have gotten many many rips, but those injuries aren't that serious and all competitive gymnasts have had those injuries happen to them before. So I've been very lucky!

Oh yeah, now I have had a 'real' injury to 'brag' about compared to my pathetic list... I sprained my wrist on a double back handspring because I bailed out and landed on it funny. I had gotten to close to the wall and didn't want to hit my feet.

I almost missed the year end show because of it, but thankfully it healed JUST in time (seriously, it stopped bothering me so much barely an hour before the show). :eek:

Nothing worse then that though haha. Hopefully it stays that way! I hate hospitals!! :eek:

Osgood-Schlatters, Broke my elbow, Alot of sprained akles, Bruised a bone in my hand, pulled muscles, sore back, dislocated my left shoulder many times, and one that I hurt today. Idk what is wrong with it yet though.

hyperextended knee, [ from doing front tuck off beam ]
oshgoodshlaugter [or however you spell it :)] in my knee,
broken and sprained wrist [ bhs on beam ]
sprained ankles
rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back