WAG What is a blind?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Coach called me earlier this week to let me know that DD was doing really well lately....really cleaning up form on beam and fixing some errors that have been persistent for several months. She is outpacing her teammates on bars so to keep her moving forward, the coach said they had starting working blinds.

I asked DD what this skill was and I couldn't really see it. From what she described, it sounds like pirouetting on the high bar. Googling is not proving useful because I keep getting hits about gymnasts who ARE blind rather than gymnasts DOING blinds.

Can anyone explain this skill more clearly and tell me how it is different from a pirouette?

a blind change is a way to get to reverse grip so you can do a front giant or other forward swinging skill - level 9 or 10 skill - we usually learn swing half first but maybe she is doing drills for them that can be used for either...

So it IS kind of like a pirouette to the extent that the gymnast is having to shift their weight between their hands and their body is turning on the y-axis. Yes? And if not, then I'm not understanding how the two skills differ.

OT, but I wish my DD who had a coach who would call me periodically, just to let me know what DD is doing in the gym! Count yourself very lucky!

I very much do in that aspect. The coach isn't perfect but she sure seems to be more caring than a lot that I have read about. Don't get me wrong, she has no problems letting me know when she's exasperated with DD too and even said that she was so happy to be calling with positive news since she usually is calling with not so great news.

It's a turn just before a giant reaches handstand, and ends in handstand. The difference from a pirouette is it involves no hand changes, just a turning of the body on one arm, and ends in reverse grip.

It's a turn just before a giant reaches handstand, and ends in handstand. The difference from a pirouette is it involves no hand changes, just a turning of the body on one arm, and ends in reverse grip.
Thank you for the excellent explanation. I can picture THIS.

watch Sam Shapiro on bars here doing the elite compulsory. click on uneven bars. when she goes to the high bar, 1st she does a long hang kip, then cast handstand, and then giant swing to blind change. you will see her body turn during and near the top of the giant swing.

http://usagym.org/pages/women/video/10elitecompulsories/index.html

in this video is Phoebe Mills. at :30 you will see her do a giant swing and then let go near the top and make a series of hand changes. these hand changes on top of the bar are what called "pirouettes".

because i was not able to edit to clarify, if you have any questions please fire away. :)

i usually need more than 5 minutes if any of you can make that happen. :)

Crystal clear for me. Having the side by side visuals helped as well as the explanation from gymnastflip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back