What is considered "pushing" your child?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My brother tried to spot his daughter in the park while she was doing a bhs (which she had down at the gym so he felt it was safe)....she kicked him in the face and he was hurting for a while. It's just not safe for the child or for yourself to spot (unless you are trained to do so.)

We have some rabid parents who have turned their homes into mini-gyms (beams, mats, etc.) it's crazy! These kids don't turn out any better than anyone else--in fact, I think these kids end up with worse form more often than not.

My brother tried to spot his daughter in the park while she was doing a bhs (which she had down at the gym so he felt it was safe)....she kicked him in the face and he was hurting for a while. It's just not safe for the child or for yourself to spot (unless you are trained to do so.)

We have some rabid parents who have turned their homes into mini-gyms (beams, mats, etc.) it's crazy! These kids don't turn out any better than anyone else--in fact, I think these kids end up with worse form more often than not.
I did coach gymnastics, but even with my experience I never want to go against her coaches and spot my child. Today, I did take her to open gym so that she could have some extra time wearing in her grips. She has been 'talking' so much about wearing them that I had offered earlier in the week to take her to an open gym. She ALWAYS asks me to 'help' her with this or that. I always respond with, "I'm not going to get in trouble from Mr. so and so (coach)!" That appeases her and she stops asking me. Coaches are golden to a gymmie.
When we do go to an open gym, it is to the one close to our home. Her gym is 50 min. away and they do not have open gyms. I have to say that I have seen MANY parents 'coach' and even spot their own children. Many of these parents do not have a gymnastics background what so ever. DD started out there as a tot and was in the same 'Hot Shot' program with some of them. I saw a parent today get up on a block and 'force' her DD into a back walk over. Her DD was almost in tears. It makes me sad to see so many kids 'pushed' to perform. Often times, I don't want DD to do what she can at the open gym because this parent in particular will see what DD can do and 'push' hers to do the same. Why parents are so competitive enough to forsake their own child I will never be able to wrap my hands around.
I love that DD does gym, but what she does in gym is between her and her coaches. I could never supercede what 'they' work so hard to accomplish. Now talk to me about her emotional well-being, and I am always on the look out of that. The physicalness of gymnastics I could never even think of controlling.

I'd talk to the coach about it. They will let you know which skills are okay for your child to practice at home. I think it probably depends on the parent and child, too. For example, I think my daughter's coach might be more okay with my daughter practicing at home because I used to do birthday parties at the gym and know how to teach some basic skills already. I'm not very good with "form", though, so I usually ask the coach for pointers on those things.

I wouldn't recommending helping with anything your daughter isn't ready for and hasn't already practiced extensively at the gym, though. Or anything that she doesn't want to do. It should be fun and comfortable. Not only should she be physically and mentally ready, but she should be interested, and you should also have talked to the coach first.

That said, there's a wide range of opinions on this subject. I think your decision should be based on the coach you're daughter is working with, as they will know *you* and *your* child better as well as what works best for *them*. Every child is different, and different gyms/coaches will have different ideals.

Oh... to answer...

IMO, pushing your child is when you encourage them to do things they aren't ready to or don't want to do. Pushing your child is making them feel like they have to do something to feel loved/accepted/make their parent happy. I guess at sometimes gymnastics becomes a competitive sport, but IMO, it should be fun. When they do get to that stage where it's competitive, the only one who should be "pushing them" is themselves, and they can get *support* from their coach and parents... but it does no good to push someone--they have to want it for themselves.

HTH!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back