What is considered "too flashy" for hair accessories for competitions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I happen to have loved the bun....for us hair-do challenged moms it was all good! My DD got to wear it for ONE meet and then all the L4 girls complained that when they do FX handstand to forward roll it was awkward. My DD wore her very low so it didn't bother her at all. So, after the de-bunning, it was decided that the team do french braids. Um, Hello, remember us hair-do challenged people *hands waving* it took me forever to do DD's hair. Even now, a season under my belt (or comb should I say) I can do it but it isn't always that good. I used to compete on an college equestrian team and can easily do my own hair, but not my DD's...weird! At L4 states it was decided that you could either do high cheer curl or braid, but it had to be uniform with the other girls in the same session. They wanted the team to look uniform & neat. Our lazy group went for the braid, it was easier than that cheer curl. My DD did one year of flag cheer and I think I still have a couple lyers of hairspray on my hands. MD mom, I KNOW you know what I am talking about.

I think you need to ask the coach, most want the girls to look uniform & neat. Even w/hair glitter our team is not super glittery...our leos & warm-ups are fairly conservative compared to the other teams we meet with.

Thanks for the bun site...I will check it out. There is one team we see that wears them & they look really nice.

DD has EXTREMELY thick hair.. she has always done 'mini buns' for her first comp of the year. I take 2 pigtails on the top of her head and then make them buns.. she kinda looks like Minnie Mouse. Then we use some glitter. Tradition.. and she loves it.

Then for other meets we might do a pony with a couple braids pulled back into them to keep her bangs out of her eyes.. the pony is usually covered with the scrunchie that matches her leo. One of our girls has a simple ribbon she uses. It has an inspirational saying on it..

We use a little glitter. Not a ton, just a couple sprays...

As for Make up.. she will be 13 this year. So she is allowed some Mascara, a little lip gloss and that is about it...

Soft Spike Curlers?? I might look them up for DD2.. she is a competitive Dancer.. we do LOTS of Curly pony tails in that realm of competition!

Soft Spike Curlers?? I might look them up for DD2.. she is a competitive Dancer.. we do LOTS of Curly pony tails in that realm of competition!

Oh how I hate those things!! :p I do Irish dancing and used to have to sit still for over an hour and a half while my mum put every inch of my hair up in them and then I would have to try and sleep in them..... not fun!! haha it was a relief to get a wig! :p :D that said they work really well and my curls always came out looking lovely :)

gym hair wise I just do a pony tail with scrunchy (used to have ribbons) and some hair gel and glitter hair spray.

Im quite tired at the moment and hsvr not had a chance to read all the responses prior to this post of mine so i apologise if this has been suggested..

Down here in AUS when i was a young one...we would get the thinnest ribbon possible...of the club colors and then plait or braid them into the hair :)

That sounds really pretty!

Im quite tired at the moment and hsvr not had a chance to read all the responses prior to this post of mine so i apologise if this has been suggested..

Down here in AUS when i was a young one...we would get the thinnest ribbon possible...of the club colors and then plait or braid them into the hair :)

How pretty! I may have to try something like that for dd! Thanks!

Sounds really neat! How is this done? I'm unsure how to start it or secure the beginning of the ribbon so that it stays in place. Thanks!

Blackie - your reply mad me LAUGH! :D I am a bun master (that sounds strange!), but I can't do french braids well at all. I'm glad I'm not alone in my weakness.

We also have something else in common - I was on my college equestrain team! I keep wondering how I ended up with 3 daughters who are gymnasts and none who are riders. Finally, one of my daughters has started riding lessons....yeah!

Sounds really neat! How is this done? I'm unsure how to start it or secure the beginning of the ribbon so that it stays in place. Thanks!

I used to do that all the time for school and for meets! Green or yellow ribbon for school and silver glittery for gymnastics lol! If I was wearing pigtails, Mum would just tie it onto the first bobble, and plait normally. But if I wore French plaits, she would seperate my hair into three sections and tie the ribbon onto the top of the middle section.
Hope this helps :)

PS, Laura, I know what you mean about the Irish dancing! Those curls were murder!

My coach doesn't really care how we get our hair up (as long as it stays up for the entire meet), but she is very strict about accessories. No glitter. No make-up. No nail polish (unless it is a very light pink or something like that).

Thanks for all the responses! Now that dd has 2 meets under her belt, we have found that this hairstyle seems to look good and stay out of her face:

MontageStyle3.jpg

MontageStyle13.jpg

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back