WAG What is the average age for reaching lvl 10?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

depends on what they are doing on hard surfaces and some other things to long to go in to. and remember, when you go up the age stream the numbers go down. it's not a coincidence. statistics don't lie. :)

Do you mean, the older the L10 gymnast, the (tendency of ) lower the scores?

no, it means that there are 57670065874676790809069575664 level 4's and 5's. and 3 level 10's in seniors...:)

Ok, going slightly off topic here. Don't get me wrong... I will be proud beyond all belief if DD sticks with it all the way to level 10 at all. But if she does make it, if I had to guess, she will be at least a sophomore, more likely a junior (a junior if she spends 2 years at both 8 and 9) . I just have to wonder, given that there will be other girls her age who will be 3rd and 4th year level 10's by then, how can she ever hope to be competitive at that level? Of course, there are repeaters at every level, but this year, at level 8, it will be her first year where many many girls she competes against will be at least in their 2nd year (or more) at that level. It will be interesting to see how that will change the playing field.

It is the skills that matter. A girl/coach who pushed through the levels with borderline skills/missing skills who ends up doing three years of ten will probably not do better than the girl who repeated level eight and nine with competitive routines and the progressions for level ten skills incorporated into her training program. A level is just a number, skills (and their correct execution) are what really matter.

Ok, going slightly off topic here. Don't get me wrong... I will be proud beyond all belief if DD sticks with it all the way to level 10 at all. But if she does make it, if I had to guess, she will be at least a sophomore, more likely a junior (a junior if she spends 2 years at both 8 and 9) . I just have to wonder, given that there will be other girls her age who will be 3rd and 4th year level 10's by then, how can she ever hope to be competitive at that level? Of course, there are repeaters at every level, but this year, at level 8, it will be her first year where many many girls she competes against will be at least in their 2nd year (or more) at that level. It will be interesting to see how that will change the playing field.

Being at level 10 for a second or 3rd year isn't necessarily an indication of superiority. Some kids get there because they started pre-team at age five, moved to L4 when they were 6, then spent the next nine years moving through five levels to get to L10 at age 16. They end up doing ok, but aren't setting the competitive world on on it's ear.

Sure, there's some that make it through from L4 to L10 in five to six years that are capable L10's their first year out, and improve each year. Those kids are the result of the combination of physical and mental gifts combined with very good coaches, equipment, and ample training hours.

So you can find L10's of every stripe. Some who seem darn near unfair to have to compete with, and others who you wonder if they wouldn't be just as happy, or happier, competing at L9. Ultimately, you just do the best you can, and hope that's enough to make participation at L10 a satisfying experience.

My dd was a 1st yr L10 as a junior this year. She ended up doing 2 yrs of 8 & 2 yrs of 9. She probably wouldn't of done the 2nd yr of 9 if she didn't have elbow surgery, but it is what it is now. As a 1st yr 10, she was doing fine until she was diagnosed with stress fractures in her foot and her season was put on hold (diagnosed back in January). She was able to fight back, was petitioned into Regionals and was able to compete AA, with some watered down skills. She did place on bars at Regionals and the other events were not her best. She ended up like 16th AA. I truly believe she had a shot at NIT or even Nationals if she wouldn't have been injured, even being a 1st yr 10.

Her strongest event is by far bars and she came into 10 having a single rail release and her shootover goes to HS. Funny thing was they had to change her bar routine for Regionals and she even placed without doing her single rail, due to her injury. I think the difference was that she came into L10 with 10.0 SV on all events, but as she started to compete and her injuries worsened, they had to modify her routines down. So between having the 10.0 SVs and good form, she was fine as a 1st yr 10.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back