What is the difference between the Mason Dixon League & USAG Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

its awesome! i probably wud have stayed if i hadnt been on usag bfore. i loved it, but it wasnt challenging me enough.:)glad ur dd likes it!

I know a lot of girls that would LOVE something like that here. Its not that they are any less talented or have any less desire to be great gymnasts, its just that they want a little time for other things that "normal teenage girls" get to do and most gymnasts don't.
I agree. I think this would be a great option to keep gymmies in the sport! I wish they had something like this near us:).

If we had an option I bet my dd would still be doing gymnastics. The excessive hours and wear and tear on her body just got to be too much. When we were in NY USAIGC was an option - but none of the clubs near us do anything other than USAG.

Ah, I was born on Long Island. Now I live on the other side of the Sound in Westchester...we moved to be closer to Dad's new job in Stamford, but ironically he took his old job back in Manhattan pretty soon after we moved.

Hofstra...been there done that...we used to take school trips to Hofstra playhouse once a year or so. And quite a few of my teachers went to college there since they have a great Ed. program.

That sounds a bit harsh, and a bit insulting, IMHO. The MDL kids at our gym train the same amount of hours and are very talented and have drive and ability just like the USAG kids. The difference is that MDL competes locally and only about 6 times a year instead of 10-12 like USAG. There is a bit more flexibility with the routines in MDL (you can switch out skills and the routines aren't as compulsary like USAG.)

So far, it seems like a great fit for dd, she trains hard, takes her gymnastics very seriously, gets to compete AND still has time to do other school activities which make for a very balanced childhood IMHO.

There is nothing to be ashamed about if you don't have the drive to do USAG, which is often more demanding. There is also no shame in not having the time to put into it. Not having a lot of talent is also nothing to be ashamed of! Like I said, it seems like your gym is using it as a means of setting them up for USAG without putting a ton of pressure for them to get certain skills. I think that's a good idea, and wish more gyms would do that rather than using it as their "dumping ground" which is what many gyms in that area do.

I can't help that this is what the gyms tend to do with the MSDL - it's not insulting if I'm just stating a fact. I worked for three different gyms in that area and every single one of them used it as the "no talent, not enough commitment, not enough money" kids to keep them in the program.

Talent, drive, time

Tuesday Pillow, I hear what you're trying to say, but I think "no talent" really misses the mark. I was at the Mason Dixon Championship meet this weekend and there were some beautiful routines-- amplitude, dynamics, form, the works.

Every gym has different needs from the MD League, which is the great thing about it. Some gyms want to season their USAG competitors, some want to offer an option for older girls who want to keep doing gymnastics but can't commit the time, some are looking for ways to let their less-talented/less-driven gymnasts have a chance to participate and maybe even win an award or two. It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all situation.

The greatest thing I saw this weekend was girls having a blast and enjoying their accomplishments, whatever level they were working.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back