Parents What is the gymnast to coach ratio at your gym's compulsory levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think my DD's group is 8 girls including her, that is for level 5. They have another group of Level 5's and I believe that group has 10. On Fridays they mix the groups up a bit and sometimes there might be a few more, but it stays around those numbers.

My DD's group (level 4), they split between 1st and 2nd yr., so the ratio for her group is usually 4:1. Now, the new level 4's have not started yet, so I have no idea if the ratio will change or not.

There's only about 32 kids total on our team...boys included, and they have 5 coaches...so...just about 6 to 1.

At our gym the younger ones (up to age 11ish) usually have a 6:1 ratio (which is what I think works best) - beyond that (doesn't really matter what level) it is usually 8:1 because about 90% of the time not all attend training (we have day training, so school issues, commitment level, etc.). There are 8 officially in my dd's group, however one trains only 1 1/2 hours a day (mostly conditioning due to growth related issues), two others can't work their school schedules to daytrain, and on it goes - usually there are only 5 of them (on average) training at any one time. Works for my dd who is 110% committed and lives for the sport!

From conversations I have had with various coaches, they seem to prefer the 6:1 ratio.

At our old gym it was about 7:1, but if you're gymnast wasn't an "it" kid they weren't coached at all. Just degraded.

Our current gym (which is wonderful, BTW) the ration is 5-6:1 and each kid is coached to be their best.

Well at the moment it is 11:2 but somedays we are split 4:1 and 7:1 because the 4 people are our fasttrack who train earlier and have a diffferent rotation schedule.So depending on the day they might be with us the whole time and have 2 coaches, or they will be on a diff event and we will have 1 coach. We are older so sometimes you can get away with the bigger ratio if the practice is stuctered well.

I don't know if this really counts toward your question, but my daughter's pre-team group (level 3'ish kids) has 14 5-7 year olds and 2 coaches. They warm up and condition all together but are broken into two groups of 7 when working on each apparatus. It seems like a lot of little ones but her two coaches both handle the groups really well which makes me happy.

It varies with day and group. DD's core group is 5, but sometimes the 2 older level 4s join in, depending what the level 5s and up (who they normally train with) are doing. The level 5s and up total about 10 at any given training session, and they only have one coach at their disposal, but they seem to get in a good rythmn where they go to the coach for spotting on things but are able to train most things without direct attention. I know they might progress more quickly with more individual attention, but at the moment that isn't feasible. The level 2s and 3s are young and are going along slowly with just one junior coach to about 8 girls. They are safe, because they aren't being pushed to do any difficult bars or beam without spotting, but only the girls with natural talent are getting where they should be. I think the new level 2s and 3s are being treated as a pre-competitive training group - the ones who actually seem ready for competition get moved out into a smaller group with a more experienced coach. It's difficult to get young kids to learn routines when the group is large and there is only one coach trying to teach them.

Preschool and all recreational classes, regardless of age are 8:1. Our level 4's were 3:1 so not the norm! Prept opt and levels 5+ are about 6:1.

I would like to see the rec/ preschool ratios switched with team ratios. Team gets more practice time with more coaching attention, whereas preschool and rec is less time with way more kids! These are the kids that need much more hands on shaping and attention.

Our level 4 team is split into two groups. One is a 7:1 ratio and the other is 9:1 (but one of the girls is out due to injury so right now it's 8:1).

I'd say about 8:1 this year, although when she was in L4 the team was way larger, and it was probably around 12:1, but after that year they broke L4 down into 2 different groups so the ratio is now smaller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back