What is the ND in a score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
When looking at score I see there is a the D score and E score which I understand. What is ND as I s sometimes it is positive and other times it is negative?

At first I thought it was a bonus, but as a negative that would not be the case.

It is 'Neutral deduction' things like over time and stepping out of the floor area will show up as neutral deductions. If it shows up positive it might be because of the way the scoring system is designed/the competition format/bonuses.

In Quebec it would be note de depart, as in start value. That would be the sum of skills executed. This is often displayed when the judges are adding up th scores.

You would see the execution score, out of 10, the ND which varies on level and skill, then you will see the total.

It is 'Neutral deduction' things like over time and stepping out of the floor area will show up as neutral deductions. If it shows up positive it might be because of the way the scoring system is designed/the competition format/bonuses.

Thanks that makes sense as most of them are in the .3 - .6 range. There was one that stuck out and it was on bars as a -4.00...what would that be from as it seems pretty high or maybe just a bad day and many adding up??

I see the score you are talking about. Look at her difficulty score, it is very low (lower than usual is my guess) so she is missing elements and perhaps had a fall, or two, based on her very low execution score. In her level there are a number of "required elements" if you do not have them all they will appear as the "neutral deductions" Pineapple lump describes. I imagine a very bad bar routine day.

Maybe not in this particular case, but a coach spotting a gymnast (as in intentionally touching her during a specific skill) is a 1.00 deduction taken by the D-panel - if a gymnast consistently struggles with her routine and needs to have her coach help out with several skills, those could add up fast. This would usually be a gymnast who's not ready to compete and probably shouldn't be competing, though, and not a gymnast who's just having a bad day and falls a couple times.

I see the score you are talking about. Look at her difficulty score, it is very low (lower than usual is my guess) so she is missing elements and perhaps had a fall, or two, based on her very low execution score. In her level there are a number of "required elements" if you do not have them all they will appear as the "neutral deductions" Pineapple lump describes. I imagine a very bad bar routine day.

Yes I would think it must have been awful for her. I just could not get the difference as to when deductions come off the D and when it comes off the ND. By the looks of it nothing went right, but I have no idea just how wrong it went. My DD was asking and I really had no clue as I guess there were more deductions than values in the D score so they continue deducting in the ND.

I guess in this sport you learn what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and heck she made it and will learn from the experience. My heart will always break for anyone who has those kind of days.

My guess would be a fall or two in the middle of the routine, and possibly she did not finish at all. But sometimes missing connections between skills can really hammer you. Supposing she was supposed to do kip CHS to sole circle to high bar, but she didn't reach the HS, she might lose the value of the whole skill set. Deductions under FIG are fearsome and it is shockingly easy to end up with a score like that. Just let you little one know that everybody has a bad meet at some point, but the best gymnasts shake it off and move on to the next one and do their best. As to what goes where. The D score is the sum of the actual skills she competed. The E score starts from 10 and all the mistakes she makes are taken from it, the ND are the things like required elements not met, no dismount etc etc. FIG scoring is complicated.

Our scoring is verry simmilar to FIG, if you don't have enough elements your e-score wil be a 6.00 instead of a 10.00. Maby they took it as a nutral deduction?

Our scoring is verry simmilar to FIG, if you don't have enough elements your e-score wil be a 6.00 instead of a 10.00. Maby they took it as a nutral deduction?

Following on from the novice comp discussion- there were quite a few -4 deductions. This is basically the deduction for omission of an element, so if your routine is required to have a minimum of 6 elements, and you only do 5, then the deduction will be 4.0. In the major learning experience comp I went to, the 4 points were taken off for stuff like not reaching 180 deg in split jumps (so jump doesn't count, lose a required element), or missing feet completely in a BWO on beam. Bars I have been led to believe that stuff like not reaching handstand before and after a giant means the giant won't count, or falling before a skill is completed.

Following on from the novice comp discussion- there were quite a few -4 deductions. This is basically the deduction for omission of an element, so if your routine is required to have a minimum of 6 elements, and you only do 5, then the deduction will be 4.0. In the major learning experience comp I went to, the 4 points were taken off for stuff like not reaching 180 deg in split jumps (so jump doesn't count, lose a required element), or missing feet completely in a BWO on beam. Bars I have been led to believe that stuff like not reaching handstand before and after a giant means the giant won't count, or falling before a skill is completed.
You are 100% correct. Though our novice is nothing like the novice in the UK, it would be more like Espoirs in the UK.

?...so if your routine is required to have a minimum of 6 elements, and you only do 5, then the deduction will be 4.0. In the major learning experience comp I went to, the 4 points were taken off for stuff like not reaching 180 deg in split jumps (so jump doesn't count, lose a required element), or missing feet completely in a BWO on beam. Bars I have been led to believe that stuff like not reaching handstand before and after a giant means the giant won't count, or falling before a skill is completed.

i'm guessing this is what DD's coach meant when she said she put an "extra" B in both her L7 beam and bar routines.... In case she didn't hit one. I had no idea the penalties were so high.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back