What is this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a friend who's trying to get a skill similar to that right now. Instead of doing the kip and putting your toes on the bar, she does a straddle kip and goes all the way through... its almost like a straddle penny drop, I've seen it done and it looks pretty cool! Sorry if I didn't explain that really well...:rolleyes::D

The first one looks to be some kind of straddle sole-circle catch. The second description sounds like a "drop catch" to me.

Wow... I feel so old. Way back when that was a popular bar change... like when beating the bar was still the norm, early 80's. That's when I started gymnastics. The skill to get was a brause, going from low bar to high bar, straddle cast and push away, reach between your legs as you are salto-ing forward to catch the high bar. If you couldn't get your brause, you did a straddle roll drop to kip on low bar for your release. I had my brause. :)

I guess what's old is new again.

I'd love to know it's name or any as I've been seeing L7's do these occasionally from low to high bar. A bit freaky to watch sometimes.

This may be a stupid question, but if it's from the low bar to the high bar, wouldn't it just be a sole circle?

Yes, I know what a sole circle is. I was confused as to how it looks "freaky" because it's a pretty standard skill and was wondering if I had misinterpreted something in BlairBob's description.

I think what I was thinking of was a straddled backward sole circle to jump catch to high bar. With some 7's they don't finish the sole circle enough and it almost looks like a cut before the crowd is waiting for them to pancake.

It's a bit hard to think of since I wasn't on the floor when I saw it and it isn't so fresh in memory.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back