WAG what is USAG's intention with Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
Well last year as part of our program, I used the 2 levels of xcel (gold and Plat) in my state as an off season/ in between levels. The girls who finished old 5 states in fall competed xcel gold in spring. and those who could score out of old 6 but not ready for 7(no giants) did xcel plat in spring. Now our state will only have xcel gold states but they are offering to let kids qualify to regionals if they do 2 meets in any xcel level with a min score(34?). My understanding is though, that they now can no longer jump from jo to xcel. So if a kid wanted to do xcel plat or diamond they must score out of gold and move up through the xcel system. It is like 2 separate but somewhat parallel systems. What is USAG's intention with xcel? I am confused. What are other gyms going to do with the new xcel system? Any ideas?

I would guess there their intention is to make money off the meet and registration fees and in turn it helps many gyms with retention of their rec students and their JO gymnasts who cannot make it in JO for one reason or another. The big dropoffs at L4,5,6 and 7-8 and 8-9 in the old system.

I think more gymnasts might end continue to compete in JH/HS with Xcel.

My understanding is though, that they now can no longer jump from jo to xcel. So if a kid wanted to do xcel plat or diamond they must score out of gold and move up through the xcel system. It is like 2 separate but somewhat parallel systems. What is USAG's intention with xcel? I am confused. What are other gyms going to do with the new xcel system? Any ideas?

They are still allowed to jump back and forth. This link shows the chart for those entering Xcel from JO (ex: bronze equivalent to levels 1/2 etc.) there is no mobility from Xcel to JO so if they want to jump back they'd have to score out of 4 and 5 like everyone else.
My guess the score out of gold is some sort of regulating rule like they have in place for optionals...
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/RulesRegs.pdf

They are still allowed to jump back and forth. This link shows the chart for those entering Xcel from JO (ex: bronze equivalent to levels 1/2 etc.) there is no mobility from Xcel to JO so if they want to jump back they'd have to score out of 4 and 5 like everyone else.
My guess the score out of gold is some sort of regulating rule like they have in place for optionals...

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/RulesRegs.pdf

So according to this chart, they can enter into any xcel level that corillates with the jo level? Is that for this year only?
How is it like having 2 different tracks at a gym? Are there rivalries? If I did split them up and had 2 tracks at our gym, how would I explain the merrits of both systems as a path to suceeding at gymnastics?

Rivalries? With girls, probably. Heck there are rivalries amongst just each other in their groups.

I would simply state the track training more hours is a different track. No need to fluff it up.

You either train more hours or you don't. One is for individuals who have other commitments or priorities and one is with gymnastics as the dominant priority with increased hours, costs/travel, etc.

so should xcel train less hours? Our meet fees for xcels would be more than compulsories. To enter an xcel invitational in our state it is as much as an optional entry. They also need a routine composed. I do not know if the other clubs in our area will compete the fewer hours for their xcel group.

My experience with Xcel (not much TBH but I was at Regionals) was that most of these kids train recreationally. Of course, there are a few "ringers" who compete Xcel because they are in between JO levels but these were girls training with the optional team rather than compulsory team.

I see a lot of meets in Region1 where Xcel is slotted with other levels but I'd have to check if they were only during the spring season (which is traditional optional but there are more compulsory teams competing in spring with even a state meet in spring). I can't remember if Xcel meets were at all in the fall.

Xcel doesn't necessarily have to be less hours. Your regular team could compete Xcel instead of JO. So 9-20+ hours for what teams that compete JO levels 3-10.

Or you can use it as something for those girls in between JO levels (which is part of one of the reasons the levels got adjusted) or as for competition for a recreational track. (Parents pay out of pocket for a few meets instead of 6-10 meets with away meets and no Booster club commitment).

I'm not sure what they do about routines but I think the gymnast may create ones themselves with some help or advice from their coaches (instead of paying for an entire routine that costs $250-450). A lot of these girls seem to figure out things they want to do from watching routines or if they did JO routines at some point.

listen up folks, Claudia Kretchmer from Gym America up in Ann Arbor, Michigan is in charge of this whole shabang. the code is being written as we speak. is supposed to completed (deadline) in maybe 3 weeks? so instead of speculating, wait until everything is complete. of course you could email her with ridiculous questions...:)

No, no! Pointless speculation based on misinformation and half-truths is much more entertaining! While we are at it, let's just get everyone all upset about what level Susie is going to compete in the fall. Because, you know, she is only that good, because shad an unfair advantage, and she's the coach's favorite... That's what this XO vs. JO stuff is all about!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back