What kind of person does this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Honestly, it's probably just an internet troll who doesn't care at all about gymnastics our your daughter. You see them all over the place.

Delete the comment and feel sorry for the lonely, fat, 17 year old boy who posted it because he feels so bad about himself that he needs to assert his nastiness over the Internet.

Would I say that to someone? Not unless my honest opinion was solicited. Would I think it? You bet. My daughter won beam at her first meet with an 8.800. My truthful (internal) reaction was, "Are you serious?!? How did that score take first?" And that's a reaction to my daughter's score. Did I say a word of that to my daughter? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! I told her that I was proud of her and that her hard work was paying off. But I felt it.

There's nothing wrong with wondering about things that fall outside of your expectations. Obviously the word choice that the individual used was enough to make any reasonable person question their intent, but to say you haven't had a similar reaction is completely disingenous. We've all been at a meet and thought, "How did that routine get that score?" in our head whether the judging was too conservative or too generous. The fact that you keep it to yourself shows that you have a better filter and sense of propriety than others, but we all still have those feelings. It's natural. And it's a pretty short step from having those feelings to letting them out.

<quote> There's nothing wrong with wondering about things that fall outside of your expectations. Obviously the word choice that the individual used was enough to make any reasonable person question their intent, but to say you haven't had a similar reaction is completely disingenous. We've all been at a meet and thought, "How did that routine get that score?" in our head whether the judging was too conservative or too generous. </quote>

I completely disagree. I readily admit that I don't know how judges make their decisions because I'm not a judge. But, if I see a video on the internet and someone says "this won first place" I would never, ever think "how did that happen." I would just be pleased for the gymnast.

Frankly, I'm very surprised at how people are trying to rationalize what is a completely irrational comment.

Pickles mom I so agree. Nothing excuses such a mean comment. A win means you are the best gymnast there. Regardless of the score being 9.9 or 7.1. I don't think people understand how much harder those higher level routines are.

GAGymmom, 1st Congrats to your DD on her 1st place Bar win!

some people are incredibly rude and just want to stir the pot and be jerks.

My DD once won Bars at a L9 meet with a 8.3. Let me tell you we both were shocked. But it was almost more exciting. I would be hurt and offended if anyone posted something implying that she didn't deserve 1st.

a 9.15 is a fantastic Bar score especially in Level 9. I hope your DD realizes that and takes pride in her score.

That was a boneheaded comment and totally meant to be mean. People do that on You Tube all the time and that is why I stopped posting anything there. Any of my daughter's videos go onto my FB page only which I can control.

the comment was stupid. stupid is as stupid does. and i hear and read stupid all the time in gymnastics. but my stupid filter keeps me from spending the night in jail.:)

the comment was stupid. stupid is as stupid does. and i hear and read stupid all the time in gymnastics. but my stupid filter keeps me from spending the night in jail.:)

where can I get a stupid filter?????????

Congrat'sbto yiur DD on her first place & her score. Some people have nothing better to do than to try to bring other people down.

Honestly, it's probably just an internet troll who doesn't care at all about gymnastics our your daughter. You see them all over the place.

Delete the comment and feel sorry for the lonely, fat, 17 year old boy who posted it because he feels so bad about himself that he needs to assert his nastiness over the Internet.

Yes, yes, yes! This is what I wanted to say earlier, but you stated it much more directly.

YouTube is absolutely filled with garbage comments on just about any video. If you ever really want to lose faith in humanity, spend an afternoon reading through the comments on a popular YouTube video.

I doubt it had anything to do with jealousy, or surprise at scoring, or lack of understanding of upper level gymnastics or anything else, I think it was just some idiot getting his kicks off of being horrible on the internet. Please don't take it to heart, moderate comments from now on, and put that person right out of your mind.

I have a video on YouTube of my dd competing level 9 bars at the Tiger Paw Classic last year. She won first place and scored 9.125. Someone commented "Wow, everyone else must have sucked." really? Why do people hiding behind anonymity feel they can insult a young girl publicly that way? Especially when they probably have no idea how strong she has to be and how her timing has to be perfect, etc. I'm so disgusted!

Yes...you should be disgusted. Whoever made that comment is a complete jerk. My DD has also won L9 bars with an even lower score than 9.125. And it is not because everyone else sucked...She deserved 1st place because she outscored all of the other competitors-plain and simple.

Would I say that to someone? Not unless my honest opinion was solicited. Would I think it? You bet. My daughter won beam at her first meet with an 8.800. My truthful (internal) reaction was, "Are you serious?!? How did that score take first?" And that's a reaction to my daughter's score. Did I say a word of that to my daughter? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! I told her that I was proud of her and that her hard work was paying off. But I felt it.

There's nothing wrong with wondering about things that fall outside of your expectations. Obviously the word choice that the individual used was enough to make any reasonable person question their intent, but to say you haven't had a similar reaction is completely disingenous. We've all been at a meet and thought, "How did that routine get that score?" in our head whether the judging was too conservative or too generous. The fact that you keep it to yourself shows that you have a better filter and sense of propriety than others, but we all still have those feelings. It's natural. And it's a pretty short step from having those feelings to letting them out.

Why are you defending this rude comment? The word choice is EXACTLY what makes the comment inappropriate! There is no question about the intent--the comment was intended to be rude.

cbone, when your child reaches level 9 and is competing bars you will feel differently...I can honestly tell you that your expectations and "truthful, (internal) reactions" will be very different when she competes at this level, and then you will understand why GAgymmom is so rightfully appalled. But your dd will 1st need to learn her kip, jump to highbar and kip, front hip circle, freehip, freehip-handstand, cast handstand, flyaway, layout flyaway, freehip-giants, shootover/pak/straddle back, sole circle, blind change, front giant, half pirouette, full pirouette, double back dismount (did I miss anything, dunno?)...and then you will understand...then you will understand how rude and indefensible this comment is.

Amen. (LOL about the jail part...)

This is probably the third or fourth post that I have seen from cbone that have made me wonder if this guy is for real. I can't decide if he is trying to start drama for the sake of discussion or if he is completely unaware of what it takes to do competitive gymnastics.

wow do you think he is a troll? Some of the comments do leave me speechless. I thought it was just inexperience.

I once was reading through comments trying to find the name of floor music, this video had level comp and name specified and whilst reading the comments i saw a whole comment that went something like this:
"I looked up the results and you didn't come first or get a 9.6 you got a 8.1" or something of that variety with more words and more hate and I was just like, as if you could be bothered to go to that extreme!

The above comments illustrate perfectly that there are people out there that haven't experienced higher level gymnastics and just don't understand. Cbone, yes, a score in the 8's taking first place at a L2 or L3 or Xcel Bronze meet is unusual (unless it was a really small meet or a small age group, or the judges just decided to be unusually harsh.) However, it is VERY hard to get a 9 when you get to upper optionals and often the top score on an event can be right at or below a 9. I have seen this to be especially true on bars. So, anyone who knows about higher level gymnastics would not be at all surprised with a low 9 taking 1st place at an invitational meet.
As far as wondering how certain routines got certain scores, I am not a judge and I do not pretend to know better than the judges. When I don't understand a score, I assume that there were deductions that I didn't see or don't know about. I certainly never questioned it at all when my dd first started out as I wouldn't have had a clue!!! There have been a couple of times when my dd's coach said she thought the score was too high or too low and then I may ask the coach why she thought that- just for my own learning. I have learned that different judges key in on different things and that some judge higher or lower than others and I just accept it.
I find that I get very irritated sitting with parents at meets who think they know better than the judges do. I don't mind the "I don't understand" response that is truly made out of just not knowing what deductions to look for, but the parents who think that their expectations should trump the judges score really irritate me.

To the op... First, congrats to your daughter on making it to L9 AND getting 1st place on bars!!!
Second, to answer your vent, you have people with lack of knowledge AND lack of filter who also THINK they know (either a teenager or someone who has never socially developed past teenager) and probably add some jealousy to the mix, and you get the kind of comments you did on the video. So, to answer your question, that is the kind of person that does this. Ignore them and go on with your life...oh and set your privacy settings!

wow do you think he is a troll? Some of the comments do leave me speechless. I thought it was just inexperience.

I don't think he's a troll...it is just inexperience. some of cbone's comments do make me wonder sometimes though :rolleyes:

GAgymmom--CONGRATS to your dd on the bars win!!! Who cares what the score was--the point is that she had the highest score out of all her competitors. I used to get nasty comments on my youtube videos as well. Then I changed the settings for all of them so that I need to approve ANY comment before it gets posted. You have to go into each of your videos to do this, but I find that it is less of a hassle knowing that when the rude person posts something, they automatically will get a message back to them saying something like "Your comment must first be approved by the user". That right there will take any ounce of satisfaction away from them because they know that that comment will probably NOT BE READ by all to see.

BTW, we have been to Tiger paw for several years, and they generally have tough judging. A couple years ago there were only 3 scores in the 9's for all 80+ level 6 bars. My dd's lowest floor score of the season is usually at Tiger Paw. Almost all our girls scored higher at meets in other states this year.

Last edited:
Why are you defending this rude comment? The word choice is EXACTLY what makes the comment inappropriate! There is no question about the intent--the comment was intended to be rude.

Just to be clear, I never defended the post. I'm just trying to say that MAYBE offense wasn't intended and made a case for how the individual could have been thinking by laying out scores from meets at the same level and even revealed personal feelings that most of us have had. I said the word choice was poor (and was PROBABLY intended to be rude), but pointed out how the comment COULD have been motivated. My "drunk club-footed orangutan" comment was made without malice and not toward any particular person and I was CRUCIFIED on here. People get misunderstood- even on the internet.

The above comments illustrate perfectly that there are people out there that haven't experienced higher level gymnastics and just don't understand.

Though my daughter is a Level 3 moving up to Level 4, don't assume that I don't have any idea of what goes into the higher levels. I read up on things, watch practices and have gone to great lengths to try to understand the sport better. Despite my inexperience, I have a GREAT appreciation for the hard work and sacrifice that gymnasts put in- especially those at higher levels who risk so much more than those at lower levels. I watch the older girls at our gym that work through injuries and even come in in casts and keep working and pursuing their dreams. They inspire me.

I find that I get very irritated sitting with parents at meets who think they know better than the judges do. I don't mind the "I don't understand" response that is truly made out of just not knowing what deductions to look for, but the parents who think that their expectations should trump the judges score really irritate me.

It seems like that is aimed at me, so I'll address it. When we are at a meet, I absolutely will not tolerate my children making any negative comments about the judging. Period. My expectations are my own and I don't feel they should in any way trump the judges (nothing does), but my expectations still color my perception- I just keep them to myself. Even when I express them here, I do so for a purpose that helps me. Chalk Bucket may not love or need me, but I love and need Chalk Bucket.

As to what motivated my comments- I have made it a point in my life to try to understand other people's motivations for their words and actions. It allows me to try to see the best in people. I know that this approach is often unpopular on a board where the norm is to agree or shut up. I am not a troll at all, but I'm also willing to see other points of view, even when they're the minority and maybe even flat wrong.

And to OP- please don't assume that I'm diminishing your daughter's performance by trying to find a way to see how someone's comment wasn't as bad as it seemed. Your daughter could have scored the lowest winning score ever in the history of Level 9 (which she OBVIOUSLY didn't), but the fact is that on that day at that competition the judges say she was the BEST. No comments can ever take that away. The comment (no matter how it was motivated) and a million others on top of it will never come close to equalling her gold medal.

I have a video on YouTube of my dd competing level 9 bars at the Tiger Paw Classic last year. She won first place and scored 9.125. Someone commented "Wow, everyone else must have sucked." really? Why do people hiding behind anonymity feel they can insult a young girl publicly that way? Especially when they probably have no idea how strong she has to be and how her timing has to be perfect, etc. I'm so disgusted!

First, congrats to your DD for reaching Level 9! That in itself is an accomplishment, not to mention winning bars, whatever her score may have been! Some people are simply mean, and/or have no filter. Ignore them and block them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back