What Meet Format is THIS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

What meet format does this look like? This is the schedule for DD's session at her next meet:

Open Warm Up 2:00 pm
Timed Warm up 2:20 pm
March In 3:00 pm
Awards 3:50 pm

Methinks this reeks of another "Traditional Format" meet, am I correct? If so, I am quite perturbed! :mad: NOT a good format in which to do one's best. What is the problem w/ the gym clubs in this State??! UGH! :vomit:

Yeah - sounds traditional - a lot of states use that format for compulsories, but not always. Good thing is it looks like a really quick meet. I have never been to one with less than 2 hours between open warmup and awards. Somehow we always end up at meets that are closer to 4-6 hours total.

In a really short meet (as that schedule suggests), the traditional format should not be a problem. That is the nature of competition. The format gives the kids a short time to get the "feel" of another gym's equipment and then off they go. When I coach (and when I competed), we would occasionally have a practice this way to get familiar with it. The girls will be fine:)

My guess would be traditional also. Wonder if there is a typo regarding time of awards?? 4:50 would be more realistic. We ran into alot of traditional meets when gymmie was compulsory---a few gyms did a capitol cup format and states were always that way. One nice thing about optional levels is that all the meets seem to be capitol cup format.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between "traditional" and "capital cup" formats? All of DD's meets have been the format in the OP.

In Capital Cup warm up there is a general floor warm up phase at the start of the meet, then the gymnasts go to their first apparatus. Two gymnasts will warm up their routine for a set tiem and then the first gymnast will compete, then one gymnast will warm up and then the second of the first two gymnasts competes etc etc until all the gymnasts have competed. This means that you have warmed up and competed within a short time. It is a bit confusing at first, but the gymnasts and p[arents like it as the meet goes by very quickly.

My youngest girls system they have a combination of the two as the traditional warm up gives time for the judges to eat and the capital cup get things going faster.

My oldest DD's system is all traditional in a separate warm up gym, so you don't even see the warm up!

Personally I love capital cup!

People always say capital cup is faster but I'm not all that convinced. It is for some rotations but once you get multiple flights going there's always one tagging onto the end and it's really not all that fast. All the high school meets I went to are traditional, touch warm up. So are NCAA meets. It's not that big a deal, kind of like practice and then going back and doing a routine, when you touch usually you just timer stuff and then go. I mean I guess for compulsories that would be different, they would probably do the whole routine on bars or the skill sequence on floor/beam. Warm ups are mostly mental anyway. Compulsories get less time per gymnast in warm-up, although I don't know how long their touch is under this format. It never made a difference to me because I'm horrible at the mental aspect of warming up and competing...never saw much of a difference in performance either way.

Yep, that's "traditional" style all right! At almost all of the meets we've been to, they use the traditional style. We've been told "traditional" style until optionals, then the meets seitch to "capitol cup" style. At one of our gymmie's meet that was "capitol cup" style, they held warm-ups in another gym. After finishing an event, they'd march out to the other gym, warm up and then they'd march back in to compete.

Thanks, everyone. The only meet format DD ever had, in her 3 years competing in CA, was Capital Cup. I was told there that Traditional format was obsolete!

Guess she'll have to get used to it here...

At DD's last meet a couple of weeks ago, the format was traditional. I don't think it helped her, especially on bars. It was her third event, it had been over an hour since she had even touched the bars, and she had to get up & compete on bars without even a touch to be sure the settings were right! She's tall, so she worries about hitting her feet if they are not far enough apart. But she has good coaches who know what they are doing, so she'll just have to trust that the bars are ready for her, and that she is ready for the bars (or beam, or vault)! Floor is fine b/c you can warm up your routine next to the 'real' floor. But even so, it's nice to get a warm up right before each event, so your 'body memory' can have a chance to kick-in.

Since she is not used to this type of meet format at all, after three years of competing ONLY Capital Cup, I think this will take some getting used to. She enjoys competing, and kind of had a good, mental 'groove' going w/ Captial Cup, if that makes any sense. It will take some adjustment, & hopefully she can rise to the challenge.

Dang....!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's kind of weird. Usually there is a 30 second touch (maybe less for compulsories). Maybe I'm thinking of a different format. NCAA meets do warmup then a 3 minute touch for the lineup all together, but JO meets usually have the touch going at the beginning of the rotation or in between the two routines ahead of the gymnast.

Well that's kind of weird. Usually there is a 30 second touch (maybe less for compulsories). Maybe I'm thinking of a different format. NCAA meets do warmup then a 3 minute touch for the lineup all together, but JO meets usually have the touch going at the beginning of the rotation or in between the two routines ahead of the gymnast.
Well, at her last meet anyway, there were NO touches, at all. They just marched over to the next rotation, and bang, you're up (not only that, but DD was FIRST up on bars out of her whole rotation group, so any probs w/ the bars would have been revealed AFTER her routine!)...

Like I said, it kinda sucks!

My DD has recently done what her coach refers to as "Michigan Touch". They have a touch a couple of people before they compete (if that makes sense to anyone).

Yes, that makes sense. I hope they do something like that at this meet!

I was just remembering that DD also did MODIFIED Capital Cup alot over the past few years, but I forget exactly how it differs from plain-old, Capital Cup. But I seem to remember some meets where the girls warmed-up in little staggered spurts, like you just described.

Hmmmmm.....I'll have to report back once DD competes!

And BTW, I am not saying a word to her about the format ahead of time. No sense getting her worried. I'm sure she'll figure it all out just fine. It's Mom who's the psycho-worrier! :eek:

What the???:confused:

Capitol Cup requires two full sets of equipment>a warmup gym and a competition gym. The gymnasts warmup in the back gym, do a one-touch on the competition equipment and then compete. Modified Capitol Cup also requires two sets of equipment, but kids warmup and compete on the same equipment and the judges move from one set to another.

Western Nationals and JO Nationals use Capital Cup format...but local invites? Compulsories? Are you kidding me?

I think you guys may be talking about Traditional or Modified Traditional.

Modified traditional format is where the kids have a general warmup, march in, then warmup and immediately compete on each event (no need for one-touch), one by one.

Traditional warmup is the whole open stretch, warmup four events, march in and compete four events after a one-touch, which was probably described in the first post....very "old school".

From a Meet Director's view point, a Traditional set up is usually cheaper as far as paying judges. The judges do not need to be on the floor until competition starts, so with a Traditional set up they are on the floor the least amt of time.

When we host meets, we do a Modified Traditional, which as a PP said it is basically 3o minute warm up upon arrival and then warm-up, compete format using only 1 set of equipment for everything.

In Quebec at all Provincial levels we have two sets of equipment, one for the whole warm up and one for the meet, judges stay in the meet gym and the gymnasts do not touch the meet equipment until they compete.

Buy maybe it's different here, we even spell it differently.

At our school levels we use, what we call, capital cup, where the gymnasts take it in turn to warm up and then compete, one set of equipment and the judges stay put.

You really do live and learn here!

OK, Sorry for the confusion, people!

I have looked back at some of the meets DD's gyms have hosted/attended over the past few years, and it seems they were either Modified Traditional, or Captial Cup.

The meets she's done have never had gymnasts warm up in a separate gym, BUT almost all of them had 2 sets of equipment, and I never saw the judges move from their seats (I doubt those Nor-Cal judges would put up w/ that, but I could be wrong). Hope this explains it to those of you who know more aboot the whole deal.

Anyway, it seems that straight-up, 'Traditional' is pretty passe, and like I said, I'd NEVER seen it until we moved here. Don't know the true name of the format for DD's up-coming meet, but I hope there's at least a 'touch' before they compete.

In any case, we shall get thru it, one way or another! :)

My dd did a true Traditional format meet and the warm-up time was about 2.5 hrs then they went and competed all events. As I said from a Meet Director's viewpoint, this is the best because the Judges do not need to be there for the warm-up and you end of paying them less - but OMG it was brutal for us parents!!!! My youngest stayed home that day!

What the???:confused:

Capitol Cup requires two full sets of equipment>a warmup gym and a competition gym. The gymnasts warmup in the back gym, do a one-touch on the competition equipment and then compete. Modified Capitol Cup also requires two sets of equipment, but kids warmup and compete on the same equipment and the judges move from one set to another.

Western Nationals and JO Nationals use Capital Cup format...but local invites? Compulsories? Are you kidding me?

I think you guys may be talking about Traditional or Modified Traditional.

Modified traditional format is where the kids have a general warmup, march in, then warmup and immediately compete on each event (no need for one-touch), one by one.

Traditional warmup is the whole open stretch, warmup four events, march in and compete four events after a one-touch, which was probably described in the first post....very "old school".
No, I am not kidding you! Here it is, a Compulsory meet, this coming weekend, Capital Cup Format, in NorCal (and one that DD's gym attended last year).

Incidentally, this is being hosted by Airborne Gymnastics, which was mentioned in another forum, as being rated MSO's #1 gym, on their "Top Ten Gyms" list. Guess that's how they like to run it there....

I copied & pasted part of their 'meet information' web page below...

Meet Dates
September 27 and 28, 2008

Meet Host and Site
Airborne Gymnastics Training Center
2250 Martin Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Meet Directors
Leah Parker

Entry Forms
$200 deposit and leotard sizes due by August 1, 2008.
Deadline: Full payment due by August 29, 2008.
No refunds after September 5, 2008.

Meet Format
Capital Cup (warmup, compete)
All AAI Equipment
Two Panel Judging

My dd did a true Traditional format meet and the warm-up time was about 2.5 hrs then they went and competed all events. As I said from a Meet Director's viewpoint, this is the best because the Judges do not need to be there for the warm-up and you end of paying them less - but OMG it was brutal for us parents!!!! My youngest stayed home that day!
It is brutal! Seems the gymnasts would get tired after all that warm-up, too! Geez.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back