WAG What piece of floor music do you hate?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hate floor routines with instrumental versions of songs that have completely inappropriate meanings. Taking the words out of "Work from Home" does not mean I don't sing them in my head while your 8 year old is doing her floor routine to the instrumental version.

It is even worse when your 8-year-old's camp group performs a dance to that song with the words.

It is even worse when your 8-year-old's camp group performs a dance to that song with the words.
We had a parent make a slideshow for our end of season banquet with some less than appropriate Beyonce songs, another coach and I just sort of cringed while hoping the parents were looking at the pictures rather than listening to the words :oops:
In Xcel we see our fair share of a young kids using these types of songs, I feel like there was one last season that was especially bad and I can't seem to remember what it was.
I also think it's weird when an Xcel team uses one song for a whole team but doesn't take into account varying ages. We competed against a team that used "Lollipop" with very cutesy choreography which was fine for the 6-8 year olds but super strange when the 10 & up girls did the same routine. We have shared routines at our gym, so I get that it saves time and money- but be reasonable! Either pick music all kids can use decently or have 2 routines for older/younger.

Our coach vetoed Talk Dirty to Me a couple years ago (YG jokingly suggested it for her music)... but she does let them use more appropriate pop music choices.

So, we need to find a team that uses Talk Dirty to Me, Centerfold, She Bangs, Lady Marmalade, and Like a Virgin ... and we can vote them most inappropriate team of the year :p;):oops::rolleyes:

We ran into a team at a meet a couple of seasons back that had a girl use an instrumental of "Its getting hot in here". Some of the moves were a little risqué (and not in a cutesy way either) and it's the only routine that I have seen get audible gasps from the audience.

Don't get me wrong, my dd is super sassy on floor (and even beam this year lol) and it might not.l be everyone's cup of tea but I draw the line on the Miley Cyrus moves! :eek::p

Oh my heavens! I pick up Short Stack 90 min early on Mondays for Faith Formation at church. Which is the first time I've been here mid-practice in a while. (DH got her last week)

As soon as I walked I to the viewing area, I heard the introduction to "Work from Home". God help us all, our gym has it too! Is that piece of music going to seem like compulsory music by the end of the season?

OK.... Since we are on the subject of "inappropriate" music -- I am interested in getting opinions: We are in the process of picking music. My DD really (really!) likes the lyric-free version of the song Lone Digger (by Caravan, or something like that). It is an electric-swing style that is readily available on multiple floor music websites, but is not played on the radio as far as I know. I've googled, and a Lone (or Lonely) Digger is apparently someone who likes to dance by themselves (not so bad, I guess). The lyrics themselves aren't so bad either. However, the music video, although animated and starring cartoon animals, is not at all appropriate (seems the lone digger in the video is an "exotic dancer," if you know what I mean). For what it's worth, the song has been used a bit by other gymnasts (popped up at the 2107 Eastern Nationals, for example, and we also heard it playing in the background at the P&G's while watching a televised beam routine; sounded like someone must be using it for floor?).

Anyway, is this the kind of song everyone is against?? Or is it OK? I certainly don't want my kid to be the one that everyone is whispering about!! If it makes a difference, DD is age 9 / Level 6

Thanks

Ok, realistically the song isn't well known and I'm guessing no one really knows the video. That said, i did check it out and I get what you mean. I'd discuss with the coaches but ultimately if DD and they love the song, I think you're fine.

I hate floor routines with instrumental versions of songs that have completely inappropriate meanings. Taking the words out of "Work from Home" does not mean I don't sing them in my head while your 8 year old is doing her floor routine to the instrumental version.
Yep....I agree completely!!!! I have heard "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails used as floor music at meets before....enough said!

Out of sheer curiosity, what is that one piece of floor music you can't stand to hear at the gym/meets etc?:D Whether you are sick of it because it is overused, or you just plain don't like it for no particular reason.

For me, I have two. I will admit Nathan Lanier has some beautiful stuff, but something about this one drives me crazy when I hear it. I guess I've seen some pretty bad renditions of it.

Also, I dislike most of Lindsey Stirling's stuff. Crazy right? Everyone seems to love her, but the techno/violin combo rubs me the wrong way. She has a few pieces I don't mind but the rest I really could do without.

**As a side note, please no one take offence to this thread if you/your dd has any music that's talked about here! As long as the gymnast and the coach like the music, that's all that matters.

Wow, because this was my daughter's last floor music, and her routine was so beautiful. She never got to compete it due to injury, and it still makes me cry when I hear it because of that. I LOVE this music. And its funny that her music before this one was Lindsey Sterling. :p

I really dislike Pink Panther, like really really dislike it. And any mash-ups that are choppy and don't flow. I don't know why anyone wants music that doesn't flow. I like a "whole piece" of music. Also, any music that just plays an instrument where the words would be in a song. Like the background music is awesome, and if they just left out the part where the lyrics would be, it would be great, but then they play a trumpet or something like its being sung and it just ruins it. FloorExpressMusic does this a lot. (And floor routines that are hip hop and the gymnast is just jumping in place and moving her arms like she's in a fight is not dancing. I really don't like songs/routines that are like this. It happens in college more, but I've seen it in JO as well. )

I also don't like TV theme music unless its really cool. No Adams Family, no I Dream of Jeannie, no The Munsters,.. And, for the love of all that's holy, NO VOCALS! Oh my word, that high-pitched, held out voice in place of musical instruments makes me want to hold my ears and say, "NOOOOOOO!"

As a mom of 3 gymnasts and now a judge, I can safely say I've heard THOUSANDS of floor routines, and I never get tired of Sail, no matter how often its played. I don't know why, I just like it. I also like Nuttin But Strings and the aforementioned Lindsey Sterling music choices and Torn.

DDs L7 music was a Lindsey Sterling piece and through 3 states worth of meets in 2yrs we heard it ONE other time. Another piece she really wanted and the choreographer vetoed because it would be too popular we NEVER heard, lol!
One of her teammates had Sail, another had Pink Panther..! ;). This year one of the younger girls has Bewitched theme song and her routine is super duper cute.

I think my dislikes are Disney songs (unless the gymnast is VERY young) and floor music versions of really current, popular songs. My other daughter does competitive dance and I hear enough of the popular songs to make my ears bleed already, not to mention it really dates a routine (and we have to use ours two years).

I'm a big metal/hard rock fan and I admit, I really loved hearing a Guns n Roses and an AC/DC song used as floor music. Both were done well with dynamic routines.

A few of our girls have Disney songs. They're aged 10-12. I'd much rather have Disney songs than inappropriate songs.

Reactions: sce
Wow, because this was my daughter's last floor music, and her routine was so beautiful. She never got to compete it due to injury, and it still makes me cry when I hear it because of that. I LOVE this music. And its funny that her music before this one was Lindsey Sterling. :p
Oh I do agree that it is a beautiful song and I'm sure her choreography was nice as well. It has just been tainted for me by one too many bad routines :p sorry that she never got to compete it!

DDs L7 music was a Lindsey Sterling piece and through 3 states worth of meets in 2yrs we heard it ONE other time. Another piece she really wanted and the choreographer vetoed because it would be too popular we NEVER heard, lol!
One of her teammates had Sail, another had Pink Panther..! ;). This year one of the younger girls has Bewitched theme song and her routine is super duper cute.

I think my dislikes are Disney songs (unless the gymnast is VERY young) and floor music versions of really current, popular songs. My other daughter does competitive dance and I hear enough of the popular songs to make my ears bleed already, not to mention it really dates a routine (and we have to use ours two years).

I'm a big metal/hard rock fan and I admit, I really loved hearing a Guns n Roses and an AC/DC song used as floor music. Both were done well with dynamic routines.
Funny how different songs are more popular in some areas than others! There are one or two Lindsey Stirling songs I don't mind (coincidentally those are the ones least played in my area, lol!)

Ouch, I'm guessing nobody knew the lyrics :eek:
I am hoping the choreographer didn't realize...
Funny thing is that as we were sitting there and the girl's music came on, my friend (another gym mom around my age) and I slowly turned to each other and sort of just locked eyes in disbelief, but said nothing...behind us another gymnast's grandma turned to the woman next to her and asked, "Is this Nine Inch Nails?" My friend and I were cracking up!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back