What press handstand do you prefer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What press handstand do you think is easier or like better?

• Total voters
I'm with maddie on this one. Straddle presses are easier, but if you can pull off a straight-arm pike press, it tends to be a head-turner.

The difference between a straddle press and a pike press is much like the difference between an average handstand and a perfect straight handstand (ie Sasha Artemev on p-bars). It's not big and flashy, and will probably not make a huge difference score wise, but it makes all the coaches stop and think "wow, this kid's good."

As for my preference to do, I like pike presses on floor and p-bars; they just feel so much more satisfying when you hit them (and, at least on floor, they're worth more)

On rings it depends on the situation; if I'm being lazy and just getting up to handstand to work some other skill (giants, dismounts, etc) I'll usually do a straddle press, but if I'm having a good day and/or focusing on strength and/or have an audience that includes any girls my age, I'll do either a pike press or (on a really good day) a straight body press.

Last edited:
but if I'm having a good day and/or focusing on strength and/or have an audience that includes any girls my age, I'll do either a pike press or (on a really good day) a straight body press.

:D Clearly your priorities are in order. :highfive:

When my DD tries her straddle press to handstand, she gets lots of oooh and ahhs just for trying. In our gym, only two or three L8's can do them.

It's probably because of my flexibility, I could never do a pancake, but I could lay flat on my legs in a pike. Pike presses were and still are easier for me, dunno why. Never really hindered me though, everywhere where a straddle press is applicable, so is a pike, and sometimes it give you extra value, except of course in compulsories =P. Pike has my vote!

I'
On rings it depends on the situation; if I'm being lazy and just getting up to handstand to work some other skill (giants, dismounts, etc) I'll usually do a straddle press, but if I'm having a good day and/or focusing on strength and/or have an audience that includes any girls my age, I'll do either a pike press or (on a really good day) a straight body press.

Gotta impress the girls. Haha.

I prefer doing straddle presses, because I can't DO a pike press except when we used men's p-bars (the floor gets in the way...). But I have great pancake flexibility so a straddle press was easy for me.

Welll I cant do either
But I think straddle looks harder and prettier
Even though the pike is probably harder...
idk, both of them look impossible for me:D
But i think a good straddle looks amazing

Pressing from a standing pike was always easier than from a straddle for me. Lean into the shoulders, lift hips and go to HS.

Pressing from an L was still easier than a straddle when I was a lot stronger. This wasn't gonna happen on floor but could happen on PB. I never tried it on rings at the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back