WAG What rewards do you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
I was just wondering what you do to rewards your kids? Min looking for some new ideas at the moment I just do stickers but I know a club gives out sparkles and when the kids fill their sparkle pot they get a prize

What do you do??

Sometimes DD's club does froyo as a group to celebrate things. Or because it's Monday... and ice cream.

My DD gets a thumbs-up when she does something well. ;) They're pretty free with praise there when it's warranted (though lots of corrections, too).

Though when DD was on preteam, coach rewarded girls for finally climbing to the top of the rope with candy. And they used sticker charts. But pretty sure no sticker charts these days.

DD's old gym one day gave out stickers every time they did something in particular (don't remember what... Maybe stuck routines??). DD thought it was fun to walk out of practice covered in stickers. :)

When D got his vault catch, coach gave the boys game time, where they played spud for the last 10 minutes of practice..They love that!

As long as I remember we've given the girls a candy bag for the first kip! Maybe not ideal but it's once in a lifetime thing so I don't care.

Also sometimes we give the girls random challenges and play games with them and if they win they get lollipops.

Edit: Oh well and we a have a bell to ring when someone gets a new skill. When the bell rings everyone knows to applaud!

At the end of practice they get recognized for a new skill or some "good" things, like x amount of pullups or making it to the top of ropes.

They step out present, everyone claps.

Done.

my dd coaches have been super creative this year for their team of six and seven year old girls. some rewards have been certificates after achieving a hard skill, rubber bracelet with the name of the gym, a dollar bill for a healthy snack from the machine, belly bands, and a leotard for the first girl to get her kip. they just gave the girls an ice cream party because all the girls nailed their cartwheels on the beam. the best rewards seems to be the peer cheering....my dd coaches have pushed the girls to understand they are teammates first and the girls are always clapping and cheering each other. it's awesome to watch!!

Some coaches get us candy for big things.... A skill we've been struggling with. The girl with something like the best jump to high bar, or straighter legs in a routine, etc. Gets a jolly Rancher. If everyone on our team stays on beam at a meet we get a cookie.

The only group I reward occasionally is my developmental team (girls 5-8yo). We have done stickers, jellybeans, lollipops and picking a small prize from the gyms' prize basket (small items like lollipops, tootsie rolls, tiny plastic toys etc).
We also have a skill bell and when team or developmental team rings it the whole gym stops and they get to demonstrate their new skill for everyone.

Even as big, old, jaded, endlessly experienced L9s and L10s, the girls at DD's gym still get Mardi Gras beads if they stick their beam routines and score over a 9. And they still are very excited to get them!

The boy in the workout group who had the best meet traditionally leads stretch at the next practice. ("Best" is usually either highest AA score or having won an event or AA, though every once in a while it goes to someone who had some kind of breakthrough or did a big skill for the first time.)

my dd coaches have been super creative this year for their team of six and seven year old girls. some rewards have been certificates after achieving a hard skill, rubber bracelet with the name of the gym, a dollar bill for a healthy snack from the machine, belly bands, and a leotard for the first girl to get her kip. they just gave the girls an ice cream party because all the girls nailed their cartwheels on the beam. the best rewards seems to be the peer cheering....my dd coaches have pushed the girls to understand they are teammates first and the girls are always clapping and cheering each other. it's awesome to watch!!
What is a belly band? We don't have those in the UK

coach 1234, belly bands are stretchy belts they are meant to keep the girls reminded to suck in their belly. they have bling bling on them so the girls love wearing them.

Mostly, it is just praise :)
We do allow gymnasts to "showcase" new skills either right before Munchie break or at the end of practice... girls go to the event where they will be doing the showcase, HC announces the gymnast name and skill, gymnast does it, everyone cheers and claps.

For the first kip (they actually have to do 3 the same day... in showcase, or just after the first one, they get everyone's attention and do 3 more) they get an individual ice cream (flavor of their choice) and the rest of the team chooses between ice cream sandwiches and popsicles.

So far this summer, YG has showcased her Kip and her RO-BT. She is close to ready to showcase her barani (or front half... depending on who you ask, lol).

My gym does candy for each stuck routine at a meet (or cookies, etc. 1 for each routine stuck), treats on birthdays. other than that, you get a quarter the first time you touch the ceiling on the lower tramp, and a cheeseburger the first day you connect your ROBHS. dunno where that last one came from, but all the little boys love it.

Our kids get to ring a bell when they are ready to show a new skill. The whole gym stops and watches, with lots of cheering and praise, particularly from the senior gymnasts. It's pretty special!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back