Parents what sort of strength/skills are expected for a TOPS training group?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
I am considering looking for a gym where my DD could train tops (or the like) in a more intense program. Our gym doesn't offer a lot of hours for each level. What sort of skills/strengths would be expected of a 7.5 year old to enter a program where they train for TOPS testing?

When is her birthday? They test for the age they will be on dec 31. My dd is will be 7, testing as an 8 year old this summer because she turns 8 before the end of 2015

When is her birthday? They test for the age they will be on dec 31. My dd is will be 7, testing as an 8 year old this summer because she turns 8 before the end of 2015
Yeah, that's my DD too :(. Is she too old to get into a TOPS training program to test as a 9 year old next summer? She is not ready to test this summer.

I think it depends on the gym and how advanced she is. I know for 8 year olds, it's 5 press handstands, 30 second handstand hold, 20 top halves....I have to check her sheet for the rest. There are cast handstands, floor I think is robhsbt, beam is a back/front walkover, I believe a back handpring on the low beam....

To enter as a 9 year old she would likely have to be at least a level 5/6 and able to do multiple press handstands. If she can do that the other stuff might come. But it's really impossible to say, you'll just need to get an evaluation.

depends on the gym as to whether or not they would let you. nothing is impossible, my dd did exactly what your hoping for. She sarted training tops when she was 7 1/2, skipped testing as an 8yo, tested as a 9yo made national testing, and 10yo made b camp. She was very strong and coordinated, even as a little thing before she started gym.

I didn't realize so much would be expected to get into the TOPS training group. My DD doesn't have any of these skills/strengths -but she recently went from 3 hours to 7 hours so she hasn't had a ton of time to develop this. The gym she's at does 6/7 hours at level 3 and continues to be on the low end -so of course the girls can't compete with those doing a lot more hours. Some of the gyms in my area offer two tracks -one similar to what she is doing in terms of hours and one much higher hours that are considered "TOPS training." I don't really care if she ever tests for TOPS but am considering switching her to a higher hour program b/c she loves gym so much and is doing well with the increase so far.

Definitely L5-7 skills needed: standing back tuck, I believe Ro/BHS/BLO on floor, BHS on beam, FWO on beam, for 9yo I believe it's a cartwheel and then back tuck dismount off beam (I know for 10yo it has to be connected), cast to handstand on bars, toe circles and something else (I forget and don't have anyone testing this year).
You can find the requirements on USAG under TOPs testing. It's pretty intense, but also really rewarding.

Physical abilities needed are 20 nice form TOPs leg lifts,12ft rope limb w feet in tight pike under (I believe) 14 sec to get ANY score at all, it should preferably be somewhere around 7-9sec with no flaws/deductions, 30 sec handstand, 10 presses in a row with form, and of course excellent flexibility.
You test as whatever age you are Dec 31st, so a late B-day=bad for TOPs, jan b-day= great for TOPs. :)

Our TOPs testers work out min. 20hrs/wk, just to put things in perspective. Our TOps developmental group works out 4-5hrs/wk, but are not expected to do any testing other than physical abilities at age 7. If they are really outstanding we move them to the testing TOPs group (with the 20+hr week).

I didn't realize so much would be expected to get into the TOPS training group. My DD doesn't have any of these skills/strengths -but she recently went from 3 hours to 7 hours so she hasn't had a ton of time to develop this. The gym she's at does 6/7 hours at level 3 and continues to be on the low end -so of course the girls can't compete with those doing a lot more hours. Some of the gyms in my area offer two tracks -one similar to what she is doing in terms of hours and one much higher hours that are considered "TOPS training." I don't really care if she ever tests for TOPS but am considering switching her to a higher hour program b/c she loves gym so much and is doing well with the increase so far.

I think you can definitely do this regardless of TOPs. If she hasn't competed level 3 yet she would have to pick up skills very quickly. But it's happened before. Really depends on her body type and natural ability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back