What to do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gracefulone

So starting in late May, I didn't really love gymnastics anymore. I decided to ride it out for awhile, and do the whole Y nationals business and then see how I felt. It wasn't the best, but for the summer it was fine. Once school started, it got worse. I was just going through the motions when I was in the gym, but I thought it would get better after the first meet. Well the first meet came and went (Nov 16th), and I literally hate going to practice. I find every reason not to go. The problem is that I have paid for most of the meets already and the new leo. Part of the reason I stayed in it was for the YMCA scholarship, which people have said I have a good chance of winning, and you have to go to nats your senior year. But now, I've been asking myself if it's worth the $1,000, and so much of the time, my answer is no. I talked to my coach(the one who's only 6 months in..my long time coach wasn't there tonight) and she wasn't helpful at all...I told her I hated coming to practice, and she told me she liked it when I came to practice. And also offered to beat up my teammate(total joke). I feel like quitting now would be such a waste, and I'd be disappointing everyone...my coaches, teammates, family, but at the same time I don't know if I can last 7 more months like this, and I know it will only get worse once track starts in March. AHHHHH

Gracefulone,

I'm going to tell you something that I have been told forever. You have to think about yourself once in a while. Why spend your senior year being miserable by going to the gym all the time? If you don't think it's worth it then it isn't. I bet your parents only want one thing for you, and that's to be happy.

From reading your other posts you do so much.. help out in the community and you make amazing grades while doing sports on top of that. It is a lot for a person to handle, and it's even harder when that person isn't happy doing what they are doing.

And if a 1,000 dollars isn't wanting you to keep doing gymnastics, than I think that really tells you the answer on what to do.

Just think it over and make the decision yourself. You can ask other peoples opinions all you want, but ultimatley you are the one that needs to be happy.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Tori. You only get to be a senior once. Might as well enjoy it. You did gymnastics for many years and loved it. But nowyou seem to like track and PV better. Nothing wrong with that. I did soccer and track for many years and now I like tumbling better. Sometimes change is good (Obama reference, haha). Anyway, you strike me as the type who will have no problem getting lots of academic and other leadership type scholarships. So maybe this one just isn't worth the huge investment of time to get it. But ultimately, you haveto do what you want to do and what is best for you. Not what is best for your parents, coaches, siblings, etc.

Money isn't everything, and it certainly isn't worth it if you aren't happy. Why not tone down training a bit further if you still aren't sure?

I left in October. I felt like I was disappointing everyone, especially my coach, who I knew had kicked up merry hell on more than one occasion on my behalf. But he said that I couldn't do gymnastics my whole life, and as a coach, he would prefer to see me walking away proud and healthy rather than limping out because I've gone on for too long.

It isn't the sort of sport you can do for anyone but yourself and if you try to do it for your parents or your coach, you're going to end up truly disappointing them or getting hurt.

You've given it a go and you aren't enjoying it any more- don't waste the good memories you have.

Anna xx

Take a deep breath and go with your gut and heart.

If you are truly unhappy, what is the point in wasting your time and money.

The only person you can possibly disappoint is yourself that way.

I quit ice-skating in September because of gymnastics.

Both sports are to complicated to do that there is a greater risk in getting injury.

I knew this but didn't want to quit for fear of disappointing my coach.

I ended up only disappointing myself by getting injured (the doctors think ice-skating aggravated my injury I had from gym).

I quit and haven't look back.

I still love skating as a sport in itself, and I love doing it, but being an actual competitior wasn't for me.

I think you'll have many oppertunities to get a schloarship.

I hope you do what is right for you and what will make you happy.

We'll still all love you and you can join TDiver and I-Heart-Beam in the Former Gymnast group :).

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm going to try to figure this out.

My parents must be a little slow on the uptake because they still think I'm obsessed with gymnastics. I must be good at coming up with legit excuses lol.

Your parents might be so for gymnastics because they do think you love it and are obsessed with it.

They may not love the gymnastics as much as they love the fact that it makes you happy.

Nobody can tell you what you like and don't like. You're the one who knows if its worth it or not. Maybe try coming in like for half the amount of practices for a while? I really don't know what to tell you. I'm the one who has to get made to leave the gym after practice. haha

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back