WAG What to do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ashell1115

Coach
Proud Parent
Hello all,
My DD does gymnastics at a training center an hour from our home. Her school schedule is a blended learning situation. She goes to gym from 7am-1130am then straight to school from there from 1230-330pm. The other half of her schooling is done online. Recently, my DD (level 8), was diagnosed with gymnasts wrist and had to take 6 weeks off. Now coming back she seems to have lost all of her skills and is afraid of just about everything. She will not even do her cast handstand on bars anymore. I have talked with her coaches and just do not know what to do. Her flight on beam she just recently got back. But bars and vault are still a trainwreck. She had all of her skills and was a very competent level 8 prior to this 6 week hiatus and has been back now for going on 4 months. I need some parent advice! Please help!! Thanks!!

Relax. Take all the pressure off. Reassure her that the skills are just misplaced for now, not lost. It's possible that she grew while she was off and that has changed everything in how she does her skills. There are a lot of good posts on here about vestibular problems, which are more about brain development than fears.

What seems to work best is for her to do a lot of what she can do successfully, and keep trying a little of what is giving her trouble. She shouldn't keep trying on things that aren't working, because that just reinforces the balk/block. If she can do beam acros on the floor, great, do them there and try them on the low beam. Once they're reliable on the low beam, move them up, etc. Note that going for things and missing them is fine; the dialing back is for things on which she's balking or stopping.

Don't worry about meets this season and tell her not to worry about meets this season. The meets will still be there next season, and if she wind up getting to a couple this season, that's great! She was injured; she's coming back. Yay for recovery, and yay for every skill that she wins back. If she's patient and she has support around her, it will all come back and she'll have the wonderful knowledge that she can recover lost skills.

It’s always rough coming back from an injury. I agree with the above poster, just give her time to practice and slowly let her gain back her confidence and her skills should come back in time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back