Parents What to eat?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tootsmom

Proud Parent
Dd has always eaten dinner before practice, but just recently she has started feeling sick before gym. She spends quite a bit of time running to the bathroom. She isn't sick before eating. So this morning she told
She isn't eating dinner before practice. It is only a 3 hour practice but we don't get home til 8:45pm. Any suggestion on what she should eat so she isn't starving, but will agree to. She only wants to eat an orange which I don't think is enough. Sorry for the babbling

upper or lower GI bathroom visits?
reflux can be exacerbated by exercise and sometimes we see reflux "show up" in a kiddo who wasn't previously "refluxy" b/c of pubertal hormone changes or post viral. If that could be it, have her take a zantac (OTC) twice a day for a week and if she is better then try adding back some foods before practice (starting with a non chocolate covered protein bar - my kids like the zone bars)
If it is lower GI, it may be IBS/nerves or related to a food intolerance (gluten, lactose)

Oranges can make an upset tummy worse because of the acidity. What about a banana with peanut butter? Or an orange plus some crackers and hummus (or ham)

My YDD used to get sick at the beginning of every practice. It was so frequent that her coach swore she was faking- until she threw up all over his parking lot. I was always picking her up from school and feeding her in the car on the way to practice. A few visits to a few doctors and we were on our way to a celiac diagnosis. A month or so previous to that and she had just been diagnosed with hashimotos too. These days she is almost never sick, and even more rarely at practice. She hasn't missed practice due to an upset stomach since we changed her diet.

My ODD went through a short phase where she would get an upset stomach at every practice too. We came to figure out, through conversation and observation, that her problem was stress related. She was deeply unhappy with her gym. When we dealt with that underlying issue her stomach aches disappeared as well.

If there is nothing new and particularly stressful for your DD at gym, I would take her to the doctor and discuss the possibility of a GI issue.

As for food, I would avoid citrus, but otherwise let her choose what she's willing to try eating. Trial and error is sometimes the only way.

It's lower issues. She did have a large snack tonight: 1/2 cup milk, banana and some rice cakes and was fine. So I guess we will do the same tomorrow night, just a pain to have her eat dinner at 9pm. We are keeping a food journal to see if there is a pattern. Thank you for all the suggestions, keeping dairy intolerance and ibs in mind

Re late dinner - do you have a reasonable length drive home? Can you take her dinner so she eats on the way home? That would bring it a bit earlier.

Mine have always eaten after Or on way home - if I try feeding them before they still want another meal after

Dd has always eaten dinner before practice, but just recently she has started feeling sick before gym. She spends quite a bit of time running to the bathroom. She isn't sick before eating. So this morning she told
She isn't eating dinner before practice. It is only a 3 hour practice but we don't get home til 8:45pm. Any suggestion on what she should eat so she isn't starving, but will agree to. She only wants to eat an orange which I don't think is enough. Sorry for the babbling

my dd eats a banana. she will generally have a snack of some sort after school (around 3pm) and then eat a banana on the way to practice on her 3 regular practices during the week. she practices from 5-8:30ish those days. she will eat dinner when she gets home. we are lucky in that we live right around the corner from the gym (why she even got involved in it in the first place). so we are home by 8:45. it's late for dinner but she uses that time to study for tests or unwind with her ipad while eating. i think she's up too late but what can you do?

Little to nothing before practice. Eat in the car on the way home.

My DD will eat something small between school and practice (she only has 45 minutes to get home, changed, eat, get homework started). Sometimes just a pack of peanut butter crackers.
She eats dinner when she gets home around 9pm. Not ideal, but it works for her.
She has tried to eat dinner before practice, and ended up with upset stomachs, too.

We have experimented with having dinner before or after practice and at this point my boys both vastly prefer dinner after. They both complained of being tired and sluggish at practice when they had dinner before.

This year that means older DS eats dinner at 9PM. I resisted the idea of him eating so late but I have to admit it is going much better this way.

For before gym snack, one boy does sunflower butter on a ricecake and the other does peanut butter and honey on a ricecake. To break up the tedium, hummus and pita chips work well too. We try to get that snack in about 45 minutes before practice starts if possible. They both bring a lara or cliff bar to eat at gym, and some days they eat that and others they do not. Pretzels are another at-gym snack that works for them sometimes.

Reactions: sce
Not always feasible. My kids have practices that last 5-7 hours sometimes. It would be a disaster for them to not eat prior. This seems solid for short practices though (3 hrs or less).
Yes I was responding to the OP whose child has 3 hr practices, just like mine.

When my child does a camp they do lunch.

Yes I was responding to the OP whose child has 3 hr practices, just like mine.

When my child does a camp they do lunch.

Min sometimes have hours like that for regular practices. There is no lunch break (or any break), so I was just saying it's important that the tank up before practice and after. I understand this is outside the norm though.

Min sometimes have hours like that for regular practices. There is no lunch break (or any break), so I was just saying it's important that the tank up before practice and after. I understand this is outside the norm though.

I agree. DS eats on the way to and from gym. He would not make it without that. Even with just a 3 hour practice, the amount of work he is doing uses a TON of calories. so he eats both ways (50 minute drive).

They introduced a 5 minute snack break at the old gym because of Pink, she doesn't do well on low blood sugar.............:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone ! She continued eating a snack beforehand (raisins, bananas and a bite of 2 of a protein bar) and then ate a small dinner when she got home. So far so good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back