WAG What to look for in a brand new gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mandkmom

Proud Parent
I'm going tomorrow to check out a new gym..and by new I mean not yet opened, no gymnasts, still installing equipment gym.
What should I look for/ask about that might be different than just moving to another established gym? What might be a downside with going with a new gym? I can guess obviously - but I'm sure I can't think of all the issues. Anyone else ever gone this route? Stories of success or disaster to share?

As a little background- dd just finished level 3 and has been moved up to level 4 training group. She is a good gymnast but I don't know how far she will go.

My first question would be your reasons for wanting to try the new gym? Are there real issues at your current gym or is it a case of the grass may be greener at the new gym?

As for some questions to ask at the new gym or to look for (of course these are just the tip of the iceberg).

1. Is the head coach also the owner?
2. What is the experience of the owner in terms of operating a business.
3. What is the head coach's experience? Where coached in past, what levels, what were his/her responsibilities?
4. Are there other coaches on board already? If so, what are their credentials?
5. Look around at the equipment. Is it in good shape? It doesn't need to be new but should be in good condition and not 30 years old. Also, are there sufficient training aids? Not just 8 inch mats, but other mats and items designed to help with learning skills.
6. What are the plans for building their program? Do they have a plan or are they thinking if I build it they will come?

The scariest part of this scenario is the fact that it's a brand new business. It could go very well or it could be a complete disaster in the wrong hands.

Good luck!

Reactions: COz
I'll go with the obvious :) Are they also installing coaches? :rolleyes:

Were you already planning to change gyms?

Kandkfunk had some great things to think about. We have been through this.
Are you unhappy at current gym? Unless you are unhappy there, I would encourage you to wait a season and give the new gym a chance to settle in. If my dd's circumstances had been different, we would have waited to make the move, but she was L8 and needing coaching for L9 and L10 skills which was not consistently available at current gym at the time. The move has worked out great for my dd, however, if you are satisfied with current gym I would wait because:
1. The new gym owner/coach can only tell you their philosophy and vision. Until the vision meets reality, you have no way of knowing how close the two will match up. I.e. the vision may be practice groups of no more than 8 girls, but when girls are knocking on the door wanting on team and the bills have to be paid it may be a different reality.
2. New gyms will attract the gym hoppers (as in CGMs and problem gymnasts). Last season, 5 girls came and went from her optional group. Her training group is much more peaceful and supportive now. Give the CGMs a year to come and go and save yourself from the drama :)

I have been thinking about changing gyms but no decision yet. I like many aspects of current gym but there have been a number of issues over the last year that have made me check out my options.
Some of those issues include the coach to gymnast ratio, the very minimal amount of uptraining, the (IMO) high hours (15 for level 4), and....there are a few other smaller things that are just adding up.
New gym may be grass is greener kind of thing. Trying to keep that in mind. A gym switch would be a leap of faith. At this point I figure it can't hurt to check it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back