What to look for in a preschool program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
My aunt wants to get my little cousin started in gymnastics. But, she doesn't know what to look for in a preschool program, and neither do I. How long would an ideal "mommy and me" class last? And what would be a sign that it's a good program? The only thing I can remember from preschool years is that I was in a very competitive environment, and didn't really like it. She definitely doesn't want her daughter in that type of situation.

Parents of current low level gymnasts? Coaches? What should a good program have?

1. 45 min is pretty standard

2. Look for organization and planned curriculum beforehand that slowly builds on previously attempted skills.

I don't know how much you can give specifics...I'd recommend they google around and ask around and try to get some reviews for any specific gym as to whether people enjoy the program and would recommend it. That's mostly the bottom line...do the kids learn (not just gymnastics - that's not always the point - do they learn confidence, independence, class behavior) and is it an enjoyable experience.

We would do 2, 45min Mommy and Me's back to back because the kids didn't want to leave and if I am going to get two toddlers ready and out of the house, by George we are staying. So for my kids 90 minutes was good.

I think 45 minutes is pretty standard around here for a mommy and me class.

I would recommend sites like yelp to see what local parents are saying. Also, from our experience, I would recommend finding a gym with a separate preschool room or classes during down times of the gym. The gym can be very overwhelming for little ones and my girls really loved having a cool painted preschool room to play in.

Finally, it doesn't hurt to watch a class or two to see how the instructor is responding to the parents and the kids. Most gyms have a free trial class as well.

I would recommend sites like yelp to see what local parents are saying. Also, from our experience, I would recommend finding a gym with a separate preschool room or classes during down times of the gym. The gym can be very overwhelming for little ones and my girls really loved having a cool painted preschool room to play in.

This is a good point, and nice to have. Though, I wouldn't necessarily discount anything. I have seen very nice preschool programs where facility wise a separate gym just wasn't an option. But, in some cases, I do think it could indicate more "commitment" to a preschool program and its offerings.

Watch a class (preferably without the little one). Free trials are great, but some places can't offer them because of insurance. I'd be looking at ratios, the way the coaches speak to the children, are they involved or do they skulk in the corner. Is the class simply structured for the children to understand - a warm up, the activities and a clear finish like a song, getting a sticker or a stamp or lining up for high 5's are really important. Is the equitment safe? It doesn't have to be sparkly new, but well looked after and clean is vital.
If she can watch the actual class then she can also see how busy the gym is, and she will know if her little one is easily distracted or that's not a problem.

In the end her gut feeling should do pretty well at 'yes' or 'no'.

Thanks for all of the responses, I passed on the information to her. There is a gym very close to her house, with a 1 hour mommy and me class, that has a separate "preschool gym" area. The issue there is that looking in the preschool area, it seems like the place all of the old equipment was "dumped". The beam has a patch held together with duct tape, and the mats are pretty worn. Takes about 5 minutes to get there from her house.

Gym 2 is farther away, about 25 min, doesn't have a separate preschool gym, but has a really nice facility. The class is 45 min long. Another plus with this gym is that a new "session" starts in 2 weeks, so she wouldn't be joining the class in the middle.

I think she's leaning towards gym 2, does that seem like the better choice? The concern was how far away it was, just for a preschool class.

It sounds like gym 2 is a better choice right now. Have they been to both gyms?? Gym 1 seems like it does not have very good equipment but how is the coaching. Is it focoused on fun or other things. those are also things that you should take into consideration.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back