WAG What to wear under a leotard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My friend's daughter is 13 and she recently started gymnastics, her coaches asked her to start wearing leotards to practice and my friend asked me what should she wear under her leo. Please answer

Generally at our gym if they wear shorts over, they wear undies underneath. No shorts, no undies. Girls with a need wear sports bras.

For competition, no undies. A coach pulled one of our gymmies off the floor after noticing panty lines:rolleyes:

Ok...so what happens when they start to get their periods, and they're not allowed to wear shorts? Do they have to learn to use tampons right away? Sorry, this is just something I always wonder about... We have a few years yet but it would be good to know.

Ok...so what happens when they start to get their periods, and they're not allowed to wear shorts? Do they have to learn to use tampons right away? Sorry, this is just something I always wonder about... We have a few years yet but it would be good to know.
Pretty much! We always have a girl that says--Please can I just keep my shorts on for the week? And our coaches say--Well what happens if you're on your period during a meet?
Part of being an athlete and especially a gymnast.

Sports bra and gymnastics briefs if any underwear. Shorts over should be fine if she's a beginner, but make sure they're athletic shorts with no ties or anything. If she doesn't like her bra to show, then they might have to look around for a cami style one, but it should definitely be a sports bra.

Personally I have never had an issue with wearing shorts to practice and not to a meet, and I don't think it's worth the discomfort of the girls to refuse to let them wear them. I also find this rule to be the exception rather than the norm. Even in many elite programs the girls are allowed to wear shorts and Under Armour type leggings.

However, if they are not allowed shorts, get some leotards with black velvet on the bottom (thick) and wear with something like this seems like the best solution to me if they aren't ready for tampons. If you're okay with something not disposal, in my experience this is better than a disposal pad in terms of sleekness and comfort. Or a sponge tampon might be easier for beginners to use. Personally I don't recommend the cups for gymnastics and I think they are even harder to use.

Lunapanties! Never heard of them. I might order a pair for my non gymmie DD (gymmie DD is only 6) who is rapidly approaching "that age" and is scared to death of leaks. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back