Coaches What too look at on half twisting skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Brandon

Coach
Gymnast
Wasn't sure where to post this since I'm asking this to try and help my own twisting, but since it has to do with specific techniques I posted here, sorry if its in the wrong place!

Anyway, do you guys teach gymnasts to spot the floor and "look behind them" or to keep their head neutral?

For example, I see some people doing back 2 and 1/2's where they start to open up at 2/1, but continue to turn their body and leave their head behind until the last second, looking at the floor behind them. But I've also seen people do 2 and 1/2's where they complete all the twisting and open up facing forward, head staying neutral throughout.

What do you teach and why? My first thought is that keeping the head neutral delays spotting the floor/wall/anything and will make it harder to punch out of it. But purposely leaving anything behind and not twisting as 1 unit while twisting just seems.. Wrong. Thoughts?

I prefer kids to spot the floor before the last half. More consistent landing that way.

Reactions: JBS
Spot the floor and then do the half. If you see the floor as you're finishing the 1/1 twist, then the brain knows how much farther "ahead" the landing will be for the additional 1/2. Call it proprioception, triangulation or kiesthetic awareness.
This video of Kohei shows very clearly the "look then turn" technique.
As for the punching out, you don't need to see to punch - you have to know when to punch.

I prefer kids to spot the floor before the last half. More consistent landing that way.

Yes...here too.
  • Back layout 1/2 = spot the layout...then half out
  • Back layout 3/2 = spot the full...then half out
  • Back layout 5/2 = spot the double...then half out

Spot the floor and then do the half. If you see the floor as you're finishing the 1/1 twist, then the brain knows how much farther "ahead" the landing will be for the additional 1/2. Call it proprioception, triangulation or kiesthetic awareness.
As for the punching out, you don't need to see to punch - you have to know when to punch.

Nice example!

very good! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back