WAG What USAG should be doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 14190

its Simple and I encourage everyone to start emailing blogging and calling on USAG to do the right thing and Postpone regionals nationwide until further notice . Currently some gyms are open while others have made the correct choice (alone if I might add) and closed to prevent families from self quarantine... so it’s only fair that USAG make a damn decision and postpone the season until further notice . Tic tok , USAG the children and families are counting on you to make this decision. So some of the hold out gyms will do the correct thing and contain this virus ..... most people are not afraid of death with this virus , but what we are afraid of is having one of our kids parents or kids test positive which would set off a chain reaction of self quarantine for 3 to 4 weeks !!!! ..... who want that ? Wake up

I couldn’t agree with you more. Or better yet, public health officials all over could take a page from southeastern PA and force everything closed- no gym, no dance, no karate there.. all closed. I’ve pleaded with my YDD’s dance studio to close to no avail. She’s home anyway. I’ve spoken to my ODD’s gym too.. nope, but she’s home anyway. People just are not listening because they don’t think it’s serious if no one is forcing them. Which is crazy to me.

postponing still implies that they could change at whim and be back on. The possibility of being back on is another factor that keeps kids wanting to be in the gym right now.....it's the what if they are back on and I'm not ready. For the uncommited girls, Scholarships ride on making a great showing at Regionals and Nationals (usually). If they want gyms to shut down for a week or 2 then the only way I see that happening across all gyms is to cancel rest of season.
They could cancel rest of season and each Region (or group a couple regions together that are close to each other) start planning a Showcase for June for recruiting purposes. I realize many regions already host a showcase of sorts, but some are quite late (in the fall). Since there would be no Nationals to showcase talent, host the Showcase early summer. ** I realize that this idea is not superb.....but what, about this entire situation, is ideal?

postponing still implies that they could change at whim and be back on. The possibility of being back on is another factor that keeps kids wanting to be in the gym right now.....it's the what if they are back on and I'm not ready. For the uncommited girls, Scholarships ride on making a great showing at Regionals and Nationals (usually). If they want gyms to shut down for a week or 2 then the only way I see that happening across all gyms is to cancel rest of season.
They could cancel rest of season and each Region (or group a couple regions together that are close to each other) start planning a Showcase for June for recruiting purposes. I realize many regions already host a showcase of sorts, but some are quite late (in the fall). Since there would be no Nationals to showcase talent, host the Showcase early summer. ** I realize that this idea is not superb.....but what, about this entire situation, is ideal?
They could schedule regionals for June , nationals in July. I hope that would be enough time for this virus to calm down. Gives everyone plenty of time to prep. NCAA would make adjustments in their timeline I suspect.

The gyms I know are open because they have to make money to stay afloat.

my daughter had practice yesterday. Only 1 kid showed for rec classes. Staying open is not going to make people show. Our gym has closed, many are still open. Regional office posted today that regionals and nationals still on and gave qualification standards. This will keep many gyms open and hopefully they do not regret it, one case traced back to their gym will put them out of business for good.

I asked my child how she would feel about having regionals basically in summer, and she was horrified. Granted she is not one to be recruited right now. But she is ready to move on, because she has some big goals for next season. Maybe the college showcases could move up and be in June instead? I could see that being feasible. However, summer camps are already plastered everywhere online for colleges, so there is that to think about also.
What a mess. Ugh.

You have to understand that closing businesses affects owners' livelihoods. They are not going to shut down unless they are ordered to and frankly I don't blame them. While the government plans to provide aid to individual workers for leave time, they will be much slower in providing aid to the businesses themselves for lost revenue and it will likely be in the form of reduced interest loans or tax credits at the end of the year. That will not help them get through the next several months.

And closing for the prescribed 2-3 weeks only pushes the spread of the virus out, it doesn't stop it. I am all for schools closing and trying to slow the spread of the virus as to not overburden the health care system but most people think this will stop the spread - it will not. We are going to be in a similar position a few weeks from now when everything opens again. We will still need to self isolate because there will still be a lot of folks contracting it.

They could schedule regionals for June , nationals in July. I hope that would be enough time for this virus to calm down. Gives everyone plenty of time to prep. NCAA would make adjustments in their timeline I suspect.
If you mean that there is still hope that NCAA will have regionals/nationals by that last line,....NCAA has not postponed, they have cancelled. My daughter's team was released.....no practices. There is no "maybe they'll still have regionals and nationals". No question at all. They have also cancelled (not postponed) all NCAA spring sports.

If you meant that NCAA would adjust their recruiting timeline.....they will be adjusting the recruiting timeline no matter what. There are absolutely no in person contact, no campus visits,..along with not seeing who makes it to Nationals. They would make adjustments to go to a Showcase just as much as to be able to attend a new Nationals. They have no choice but to adjust.

I know if my kid was still in JO she would not be happy about the prospect of having regionals and nationals in June/July. Summer is a time for upgrades and she would not be happy about not being able to work any upgrades for the next season. Just my opinion, but I'd rather just move on to next season at that point

EDIT -- @duyetanh has a point as well. With college hosting summer camps/clinics that would also be a factor. My daughters team hosts one but it is late summer...not sure how many of the colleges have early summer camps.

You have to understand that closing businesses affects owners' livelihoods. They are not going to shut down unless they are ordered to and frankly I don't blame them. While the government plans to provide aid to individual workers for leave time, they will be much slower in providing aid to the businesses themselves for lost revenue and it will likely be in the form of reduced interest loans or tax credits at the end of the year. That will not help them get through the next several months.

And closing for the prescribed 2-3 weeks only pushes the spread of the virus out, it doesn't stop it. I am all for schools closing and trying to slow the spread of the virus as to not overburden the health care system but most people think this will stop the spread - it will not. We are going to be in a similar position a few weeks from now when everything opens again. We will still need to self isolate because there will still be a lot of folks contracting it.

I think the point is to push the spread of the virus out, to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. We know we can't stop this virus right now, but slowing it is very important.

Tried to add to my post but ...past that pesky 5 min rule...

ETA - also, by not closing their doors, the gyms do not have to worry about refunding tuitions and therefore place the responsibility on the families as to whether to attend. This allows them to stay in business in the long run. This is essential for small gym, where having 20-50 gymnasts working out together at the same time is a much smaller risk than, say, a school or large work environment.

This interactive graph allows you to manipulate the aggressiveness and timing of interventions and see the impact on the number and timing of cases and deaths. All scenarios have infections peaking in the summer, so we do need to be prepared for a long slog. But implementing aggressive interventions early does dramatically reduce the total number of cases.

I think the point is to push the spread of the virus out, to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. We know we can't stop this virus right now, but slowing it is very important.
This interactive graph allows you to manipulate the aggressiveness and timing of interventions and see the impact on the number and timing of cases and deaths. All scenarios have infections peaking in the summer, so we do need to be prepared for a long slog. But implementing aggressive interventions early does dramatically reduce the total number of cases.

yes, that's my point but Coachp mentioned that wouldn't it be better to close now than have to deal with 3-4 weeks of quarantine later. I was pointing out that the 3-4 weeks of quarantine is likely to happen after this present self imposed 2-3 weeks of containment

yes, that's my point but Coachp mentioned that wouldn't it be better to close now than have to deal with 3-4 weeks of quarantine later. I was pointing out that the 3-4 weeks of quarantine is likely to happen after this present self imposed 2-3 weeks of containment
Well, the problem is this is the United States of America’s. I am not saying this with any rude tone at all, but it’s fact. We are not a communist country, and people have the right to do what they feel is right for them, their families, and their livelihoods. So, while some gyms are closing, others won’t. Some schools will close, some won’t. Some parents will send their kids places, some won’t. Some parents will keep going to work, some won’t. There are many different trains of thought on it all, and you can’t force people to close. It is what it is. And that is why we will be in for a long haul with this virus. But we will come out ok in the end, God willing.

Well, the problem is this is the United States of America’s. I am not saying this with any rude tone at all, but it’s fact. We are not a communist country, and people have the right to do what they feel is right for them, their families, and their livelihoods. So, while some gyms are closing, others won’t. Some schools will close, some won’t. Some parents will send their kids places, some won’t. Some parents will keep going to work, some won’t. There are many different trains of thought on it all, and you can’t force people to close. It is what it is. And that is why we will be in for a long haul with this virus. But we will come out ok in the end, God willing.
Of course they can force people to close. Look at Italy- also not a communist country- and look closer to home at Montgomery County PA.

Of course they can force people to close. Look at Italy- also not a communist country- and look closer to home at Montgomery County PA.
I guess they can....but it will be a lot harder.Just my opinion. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back