What works best for sore muscles??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastralo

Hi
I was wondering if Bengay or Biofreeze would work best for sore wrist and backs? Just wondering whats your opinion??

Open to all suggestions:)

Alison:)

On an every day basis I'm a bigger fan of the odor-free aspercreme. If it's really bad, I'll use the icyhot-I love the smell!

I use heat packs. People say ice is good but my coach swears by heat and it does work!!

This might be totally unrealistic (and then again, maybe not, are any of you lucky people with their own pool?) we discovered during the holidays that a half an hour in the jacuzzi is great!

Heat is great for non-injury soreness or a few days after an injury. Even soaking in a super hot bath helps. At the USOTC many of the athletes will jump in the hot tub then under cold water, then back to the hot tub. You can do the same with a hot-cold shower. Icy Hot works well on sore muscles, too. I've always felt it works better than Biofreeze.

I swear by my icy-hot stick for sore muscles, but I know a number of people who think BioFreeze is much better. I guess it's something you just have to try to find out.

~Katy

The creams aren't bad but there is nothing like a hot tub. Next up is a hot bath and then hot shower.

A good massage is way up there in the recovery scale according to Bill Sands.

I remember, the heat of a waterbed was awesome when sick or sore.

Heating works for sore muscles, but my number one recommendation---the best way to get rid of sore musles is to keep moving and working them.

I've found biofreeze works amazingly well, but I also found a supplement called glutamine that tends to help prevent sore muscles in the first place. It's been a phenomenal boost for me, and might be worth talking to your doctor about (never start any supplement without running it by your doc first!).

L-glutamine is an awesome amino acid that works really well to prevent muscles from catabolizing themselves and it also supports the immune system as well. It's also in milk and most animal proteins if memory serves. It also mixes very easily and is virtually tasteless like Creatine. It also doesn't have the water retention problems some forms of Creatine can have.

I always got a lot more bang for my buck with L-glutamine before, during, and after workouts than Creatine ( which generally has best gains for shorter workout times and those who are not eating enough protein. A high protein intake pretty much negates the necessity of using Creatine IMO ).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back