Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
DD practices 3x a week. The gym is closed the next 2 weeks for break and then there is 2 weeks before a meet . . . In this meet DD is going to compete new routines on beam and floor (up a level). She just started learning these routines last week (Tues & Thurs) She does not know them - at all.

So this is the last week of practice before the break. Tonight her coach isn't in (she doesn't work Mondays) and she's on vacation Thursday . . . that leaves Tuesday . . DD has a chorus performance Tuesday night, only one song but timing will be smack the middle of practice.

Sigh, nothing is ever easy. What would you do?

Thanks! I was talking to hubby and he said "what did your buddies on CB think?" DUH! I didn't ask them! LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there anyway that she go for a short practice either before or after the chorus thing? My daughter just learned a new routine and her coach had me tape it so she could go over it since her meet was only two weeks after she started learning it. That way even if she couldn't practice it she could watch it and remember how everything went.

Simple. Take the planned break for what it is, enjoy the chorus, blow off the meet. No biggie. She'll have plenty of meets to attend and strut her stuff with confidence.

I don't know about where you live but we pay for our meets sometimes months earlier and they average about $75 per meet. You normally can't get your money back unless you find a sub. Some gyms also require you to participate in all meets. Why is the gym closing for such a long break during competition season? We sometimes have shortened breaks around a holiday but never two weeks.

she's in 6 events . . . costing me 150$

I don't understand why they are closing for spring break. there's talk of one day of open gym . .one day?! I think they're having staffing problems. Although I heard they always close for spring break.

This is only her 4th meet and it's the last meet (2 weeks) before States . . .with nationals following quickly after that.

I planned to video the routine but I don't know if she'll even get to review it before the break. I'm going to talk to the owners and see what they say. Maybe she can stay a little late tues, after chorus, to just go over the routine? Just kills me they will probably turn around and try to charge me for a private.

Thanks for all your suggestions

There is a lot that confuses me here. Why is she moving up a level just 1 meet prior to states??? I think having her compete in the meet without proper practice & solid knowledge of new routines, is just plain wrong on so many levels. You don't want her to go through the stress of possible forgetting her routine out there, that would be just too upsetting to her. With the gym being closed, I can't imagine why they would have moved her up & given new routines??? I don't think she should be put in such a stressful situation. If you can't just skip the meet, have her compete at a level where is KNOWS the routines or just the events she's comfortable with. This should be fun for her, not stressful. She should have proper time to learn & practice new routines prior to competing them. You don't want to possibly risk damage to her self esteem by sending her out unprepared. JMHO.

Last edited:
update

Spoke to the gym tonight and they said the routines are almost identical except for swapping out skills. They said that if she does the harder skill in the lower level it doesn't count against her and if she does the lower skill in the higher level it's ok - it's really just to give the girls the experience at the higher level. The other coaches were given a new list of skill requirements and they worked on beam today . . . they'll do floor Thurs. DD isn't worried and is very excited. As long as she understands it's just for the experience and she doesn't feel pressured or stressed all is good.

She's going to perform in the chorus tomorrow night, pack her leo and we'll try to swing into the gym for the last hour.

On a fun note she got to work BWO Back Tuck dismounts on the beam tonight and had a blast. Little things like that is what I like about our gym and USAIGC. If she can land that she could use it next year.

Anyway, thanks for "listening" to my rants!

Thats absolutly ridiculous. Routines should not be changing now with meets so close, new skills should not be going in now. Fair enough that they are saying it doesn't matter if she forgets the new skills and does the old ones by accident, but it can throw her hole routine off, and she hasnnt had time to get comfortable with them. her coaches are setting her up for failure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back