What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I am pretty new here but I have found myself with a lot of questions lately. My daughter just finished her first year of gym (3 year old class) and started the 4 year old class for the summer session (just turned 4). In her class they are mostly working on backward rolls on an incline, forward rolls on a padded floor beam thingy, skin the cats, hops and walking across the kiddy high beam with a bendy leg thing, and seat drops on the trampoline. Bean can do these things by herself and the other girls haven't caught up yet. She is still having a lot of fun at the class but at her past class they were really pushing her (just her) on form and had her doing leg lifts at the bar while other kids were doing skin the cats and swinging with help. I don't want her to get bored with the class bc she isn't learning anything new but I am not sure if pushing her on form and conditioning is the answer either. She hasn't complained a bit about class (except that 1) it was over and she has to wait until next week and 2) She isn't allowed to use the high bar...she is convinced she is ready. I don't know if I should talk to them about moving up, or just let it ride for the summer and see what they say for the fall. I don't know if it is ok that she is separated to some extent from the other girls. My gut instinct is that she is happy, loves the coaches, and I am dragging her out of the gym when class is over so obviously it is working the way it is...Thanks for looking!

Your daughter is four - she will have plenty of time to push herself in the future. If she hasn't complained yet, I wouldn't be worried about boredom. It looks like she is excited for class and enjoying it. For a little kid, getting to use the equipment is THE COOLEST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD as well as getting to play with friends on the SUPERCOOL EQUIPMENT. She is learning basic motor skills and having a ball, it would seem. You could approach the gym to ask if they offer a slightly more advanced class that would still be appropriate for her age group. Just be careful that she continues to enjoy what she is doing and that it is age appropriate - you want her to have fun, not get hurt or burn out.

That is actually part of my worry...I am scared that she will get burnt out bc they usually have her doing her own thing instead of playing with the other kids and the stuff she is doing is more like work than playing...it that makes sense. That is why I wonder if moving her up or even into a different class with other 4 year olds might help because then she would be able to work with her peers. If that makes sense...

You said "at her past class". I assume you mean this just means 1 class. If so, I really wouldn't worry about it. The coach could be testing her abilities for fall placement. And if your dd seems happy, I would just wait and see. If this becomes a regular situation, then talk with the coach about your concerns and her plans for your dd - why she is doing different work.

Personally, it sounds like the coach is helping dd from getting bored by letting her move ahead a little without the stress of an older or more advanced group

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! I guess I did jump the gun with worrying a little. I just really want this to stay fun for her right now. It is the only outlet we have found that actually helps with her massive amounts of energy. I am sure there are several moms here who are in the same boat or have similar personality children but she is constantly bouncing, moving, climbing. She isn't really hyper but she needs to be constantly engaged. She is a whirlwind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back