What's my leading leg?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

henrik541

Gymnast
What's the leading leg and how do I know wich one is mine?
e.g.- is it the leg that leaves the floor firstly or lastly doing an handstand?

A right sided gymnast puts his right leg forward. A left sided person puts his left foot forward. Don't think of this as which appendage leaves the floor first or last. Think of the beginning not the end. The leading leg is the one that is there at the beginning. Your question would be answered with the lastly on doing a handstand but I wouldn't think of it from that perspective.

If you were to stand up right now and prepare to do a handstand, your leading leg is the one that is positioned in front of you.

Let me see if I got it.
So if I do a cartwheel like left leg-> left hand-> right hand-> right leg, it means I'm left sided, right?

Actually, there's something else: In fwo, the leg in front is the left one, like in the handstand, but when I do a back wo, the leg in front is the right one, is that a problem?

that's what happened to me too.. im a lefty (go lefty's!!) and i did everything on my left leg except my bridge kickover.. so i had to learn it on my left leg..then i learned my bwo on my left leg but i can still do really good right leg bwos because thats the leg i learned my bridge kickover on..lol.. kinda compilcated :)

that's what happened to me too.. im a lefty (go lefty's!!) and i did everything on my left leg except my bridge kickover.. so i had to learn it on my left leg..then i learned my bwo on my left leg but i can still do really good right leg bwos because thats the leg i learned my bridge kickover on..lol.. kinda compilcated :)

haha that is exactly what happened to me!!

No it is not a problem to do FWO with left in front and BWO with right in front. Think of it this way..

If you were connecting a cartwheel backwalkover, you cartwheel with your left first, land with your right leg infront of you, and bam, you are perfectly ready to start your BWO. Otherwise you would have to switch legs, not good.

I just did FWO, cartwheel BWO and i didn't have to switch legs at none of them, so I supose that is a good way to check if we're doing it right?

It isn't a problem unless you start switching legs between skills. The best thing you can do is learn all of your skills on both legs, especially when you start connecting lots of skills. You may still have a dominant side but it really helps.
A big one is the Russian/change leg leap; it makes it much easier if you can do split/stride leaps on both legs to help you get good split in change leg leaps.

When I was a gymnast, I was ambidextrous as I learnt skills on both legs. But then I started to develop a left sided dominance, but on certain skills and apparatuses I changed.

It isn't a problem unless you start switching legs between skills. The best thing you can do is learn all of your skills on both legs, especially when you start connecting lots of skills. You may still have a dominant side but it really helps.
A big one is the Russian/change leg leap; it makes it much easier if you can do split/stride leaps on both legs to help you get good split in change leg leaps.

When I was a gymnast, I was ambidextrous as I learnt skills on both legs. But then I started to develop a left sided dominance, but on certain skills and apparatuses I changed.

Yes, now that I'm more developped, I'm able to do almost every skill on both sides. Well, not splits, though.
But now I got my both bwo, wich were the most problematic to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back