Parents What's the best thing gymnastics has given your child?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hope

4 years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Guillain Barre it’s VERY rare to get, let alone a six year old. Basically she couldn’t walk, eat, or use the restroom on her own. She had two spinal taps and was hours away from all her organs shutting down. She was in the hospital for 5 months then therapy for four months after we was released. Doctor told us wait a year before we enroll her in gymnastics, but we decided to let her try it out in five months and the rest is history.

In the first year of gymnastics she went from rec to preterm

Second pre team to level 6 and tops (didn’t do that good but she still made it to national testing and level 6

3rd year made Tops A camp and Level 7, out of 8 meets she placed 1st AA in 6 the other two 3rd. 1st All Around at states and made state team region 1. Regionals also 1st AA (38.90)

This year she’s trying to go 9 but might go Level 8 and also is doing Hopes.

Just so proud over everything my little fighter has done in her life, damn near crying over typing this

I have told this story here before. When my dd was fairly young, maybe in 1st grade, the PE teacher at school had the kids climb the rope. My dd was the only kid in the grade who could climb to the top of the rope, and she did it easily.

The other kids all asked her what was her secret. She told them that there was no secret, and the only reason she could do it was because she practiced climbing the rope every practice at gymnastics. She told them she couldn’t climb the rope her first time either, but because she practiced a lot, she was able to do it easily now.

I thought it was a great lesson for a kid so young to understand.

Independence.

DD16 might hesitate to email a teacher about something school related.

But when the fall gym schedule came out and she saw that it once again conflicts with XC meets on many dates, I gently suggested that she email the coaching staff to ask if she could practice on an alternate day with a different group during XC season. I didn't realize she had done it until she told me today that the head coach emailed her back, impressed at her maturity in asking the question. They are meeting before practice today to discuss the options.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back