What's your best guess at what next season will look like?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hope there's a way for us to resume safely. I hate to think of a year with no meets, since my guy is also a junior. But I also have a hard time imagining we will go right back to a world in which people cheerfully board planes to go to invitationals with more than a thousand competitors.

Entry fees may skyrocket to compensate.

They are already so costly! We paid $25 per person at a meet this year + $15 parking. We had to pay the whole weekend even though we only had one session to go to! Yeah, sorry grandma, can't afford for you to go!

I’ve already reconciled to everything going up in costs. Some kids will never return to team, which will mean higher monthly fees and higher coaching fees for meets. Fewer spectators will mean higher entry fees.
I can see some of this offset by eliminating meets that involve air travel. In our state we are lucky most meets are within driving (we’re in NJ), which is a bonus. One more change might be to include Optional levels in the local meets. Currently our locals are only through Level 7....for boys, don’t know how it works for girls.

Parts of our state are moving into phase 1 this week, bu where we are has been postponed for at least another 2 weeks. I don't know how that is going to work. It's tough enough seeing other areas start to open in other states(have outdoor team workouts), but knowing that it's possible 2 hours away and not here is going to make it even harder on my gymnast. She has been working so hard to stay strong. It was easier to stay positive when we were all in this together.

Our state moves into phase 1 of lifting restrictions from Saturday, but gyms will remain closed. Only outdoor sport is allowed to resume, but it has to be less than 10 people in total (including coaches and spectators) and non contact.

The plan is for phase 2 to begin June 13th, in this phase gyms can open but it appears they will only allow a maximum of 20 people in the building at anytime, including spectators and coaches.

Then phase 3 from July 10th, allowing up to 100 in the building. So 9 weeks until reopening. There are only 7 active cases of COVID 19 in our State, a to total of 6 people have died since it all started and most days we have no new diagnosis at all. Australia is doing this very cautiously.

... and that is exactly why your state only has 7 active cases and 6 deaths, and why reopening may be safe.
Yes, I do recognise that, we have seen what has happened elsewhere in the world. It is very interesting to see the differences in the way different countries have approached it.

But the approach taken by a country like Australia, who were lucky enough to be effected later than other countries, so could see what had happened and act earlier. Won’t work the same way at all in areas where infection rates are high.

We are also very lucky to be an island, sharing no borders with any other country and to have such a low population density.

But the approach taken by a country like Australia, who were lucky enough to be effected later than other countries, so could see what had happened and act earlier. Won’t work the same way at all in areas where infection rates are high.

I would argue that the U.S. also had fair warning and could have acted much sooner and prevented the infection rate from soaring.

Parts of our state are moving into phase 1 this week, bu where we are has been postponed for at least another 2 weeks. I don't know how that is going to work. It's tough enough seeing other areas start to open in other states(have outdoor team workouts), but knowing that it's possible 2 hours away and not here is going to make it even harder on my gymnast. She has been working so hard to stay strong. It was easier to stay positive when we were all in this together.
I can’t help but wonder if we are in the same state or if others are doing the same thing. The thing that gets me is that we live right on the line of the counties that are opening and the lowest one that is not. And everyone around is simply making plans to do things one county south. I expect it’s going to explode new cases in that county next. Are they gonna roll slowly down with new restrictions as people just take a five min drive to get their nails done (etc).? I appreciate why we are still closed though.

I can’t help but wonder if we are in the same state or if others are doing the same thing. The thing that gets me is that we live right on the line of the counties that are opening and the lowest one that is not. And everyone around is simply making plans to do things one county south. I expect it’s going to explode new cases in that county next. Are they gonna roll slowly down with new restrictions as people just take a five min drive to get their nails done (etc).? I appreciate why we are still closed though.

VA, right? My gymnast has been asking to move to Stafford or Fredericksburg for the summer. :p

This is unexpected. I will preface by saying I did not receive an email. I wonder if this means some states will be permitted to have a 2020 Fall season? Does USAG have to sanction an in house meet where a gym brings in a couple of judges for score out purposes? So many ?s

This is unexpected. I will preface by saying I did not receive an email. I wonder if this means some states will be permitted to have a 2020 Fall season? Does USAG have to sanction an in house meet where a gym brings in a couple of judges for score out purposes? So many ?s

Yes, USAG does sanction score out meets and small local in-gym meets. I was not surprised. This does not mean they won't pull them like they did this spring if things get bad again.

You need a sanction to hold tests for judges or an in-gym score out meet or for some clinics/camps. How big gatherings are allowed to be will be up to local authorities.

That's how I am squaring USAG's statement with what's happening on the ground in various states. They may issue some sanctions, but I figure at least in the fall only small in-house meets or invitationals (with few or no spectators) will be allowed in most places.

I am not going to be a Debbie downer with my child in terms of even bringing up next season not happening. Oh h*ll no. One day at a time over here....not going to borrow trouble or create it. I will instead observe what is going on and take note of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News