What's your best guess at what next season will look like?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

With enough testing and contact tracing, we might not need to wait for a vaccine. It's just going to be a lot harder to manage contact tracing if the decisions we make in the next four weeks lead to an explosion in the caseload.

THIS x 1 million. If we had kept the shutdown in place long enough to let caseloads die down to a manageable level and had used the time to build testing and contact tracing capacity, we would soon be able to ease up on social distancing and return to some semblance of normalcy. People would be able to engage in many of their usual activities in a modified way without too much fear, and the economy would recover. Instead, the strategy seems to have been to let people get so tired of social distancing that they just give up and accept the fact that massive numbers of people will die. This is going to backfire and cause enormous economic damage along with untold human suffering.

THIS x 1 million. If we had kept the shutdown in place long enough to let caseloads die down to a manageable level and had used the time to build testing and contact tracing capacity, we would soon be able to ease up on social distancing and return to some semblance of normalcy. People would be able to engage in many of their usual activities in a modified way without too much fear, and the economy would recover. Instead, the strategy seems to have been to let people get so tired of social distancing that they just give up and accept the fact that massive numbers of people will die. This is going to backfire and cause enormous economic damage along with untold human suffering.

THIS...I so agree with you. There has been no strategy so far. We should have had a single strategy to build up testing and contact tracing for the entire country. I'm not smart enough to know who would handle it...FEMA? CDC? ... we can still do it but we have wasted time

I think everyone will have a different viewpoint, based on their beliefs. And also by where they are in their lives. And what they have going on in their lives. Someone who is retired may have a different viewpoint than someone who needs their job to support their family of five. Someone with an immune compromised relative has a different viewpoint than someone who does not. If everyone felt the same, we would either be sheltering in place until there was a vaccine, or going out and saying screw it 24/7 and dealing with the fallout come what May. This is why a “not so happy” medium has to take place, and it will please hardly anybody in the short term....but hopefully in the long term it will all sort out.
My two cents

I think everyone will have a different viewpoint, based on their beliefs. And also by where they are in their lives. And what they have going on in their lives. Someone who is retired may have a different viewpoint than someone who needs their job to support their family of five. Someone with an immune compromised relative has a different viewpoint than someone who does not. If everyone felt the same, we would either be sheltering in place until there was a vaccine, or going out and saying screw it 24/7 and dealing with the fallout come what May. This is why a “not so happy” medium has to take place, and it will please hardly anybody in the short term....but hopefully in the long term it will all sort out.
My two cents

My point is that we as a society shouldn't be in the position of choosing between the two alternatives you delineate. If we had planned and prepared, we could be in a position to reopen relatively safely. Instead, our leaders deliberately chose NOT to plan and prepare for a safe reopening, in order to force the choice we now face.

My point is that we as a society shouldn't be in the position of choosing between the two alternatives you delineate. If we had planned and prepared, we could be in a position to reopen relatively safely. Instead, our leaders deliberately chose NOT to plan and prepare for a safe reopening, in order to force the choice we now face.
I hear you. But unfortunately, that ship has sailed...

THIS...I so agree with you. There has been no strategy so far. We should have had a single strategy to build up testing and contact tracing for the entire country. I'm not smart enough to know who would handle it...FEMA? CDC? ... we can still do it but we have wasted time

There actually is a strategy for handling pandemic disease in the US. It's not a secret. CDC developed it several years ago and had been updating it. Unfortunately, as a nation, we are not following it. You can see it for yourself easily at https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/national-strategy/index.html.

No idea what next season will look like, but I have to say that my DD16 gets hope seeing posts on social media from meets she knows our gym always attends. Of course they are trying to be as positive as possible, and although maybe it seems unrealistic to us adults to think optimistically, she needs something positive right now. Losing junior year track season, state meet for gym, 3 months of being in school, in-person gatherings with her friends . . . She knows deep down that the worst is very possible, and she may never compete again, but she needs the idea that something so important to her is still an option.

So for those meet hosts who continue to post positive messages about next season's meets, thank you.

Meta analysis of spreading

This is preliminary and not peer-reviewed, so I'm a bit hesitant to post it, but it is concerning if we think ahead to gymnastics meets in the future. The structure of meets seem to combine a lot of the features we really don't want if we want to avoid having events that contribute to significant outbreaks. I wonder if any meet directors have ideas about how any of these things could be mitigated?

My kid doesn’t even care about meets next year. She just wants back in the gym. I have a feeling meets might not happen, or if they do, they will be very localized and limited.....my kid’s friends all feel the same.....one step at a time....it will be a rolling out process I am sure. Nationwide.

My kid doesn’t even care about meets next year. She just wants back in the gym. I have a feeling meets might not happen, or if they do, they will be very localized and limited.....my kid’s friends all feel the same.....one step at a time....it will be a rolling out process I am sure. Nationwide.

My son is sad at the thought that he won't compete JO anymore. But he knows it is a possibility. As long as recruiting happens..he will be happy.

Meets can be done in limited sessions, with limited spectators. I think this will be the way many host clubs will go. They will still want the revenue brought in from meets, and will want to use meets as a motivator for their gymnasts and programs.

No idea what next season will look like, but I have to say that my DD16 gets hope seeing posts on social media from meets she knows our gym always attends. Of course they are trying to be as positive as possible, and although maybe it seems unrealistic to us adults to think optimistically, she needs something positive right now. Losing junior year track season, state meet for gym, 3 months of being in school, in-person gatherings with her friends . . . She knows deep down that the worst is very possible, and she may never compete again, but she needs the idea that something so important to her is still an option.

So for those meet hosts who continue to post positive messages about next season's meets, thank you.

My daughter is the opposite. HC has begun to mention plans to reopen the gym in a few weeks. My daughter says she hopes he doesn’t do it.

My son is sad at the thought that he won't compete JO anymore. But he knows it is a possibility. As long as recruiting happens..he will be happy.

It’s so very hard for kids are older HS kids, especially for kids that want to do college gym. I know how much time, effort and sacrifice goes into this from athletes and family.

I’m in Manhattan which is Low risk in comparison to the rest of New York State. I cannot speculate on what’s going to happen, but my feeling is that if Team can get back to the gym for training, there maybe a way to social distance and be over zealous about cleanliness and this could happen beginning of June? I can’t see how large meets will be able to proceed though, maybe our girls will all train up a level and compete that the following year? Those looking for scholarship opportunities, I sincerely hope this unprecedented situation will be taken into consideration.
Hi Bella7, I am also in Manhattan. I hope you are well. What does that mean we are “low risk”?

Meets can be done in limited sessions, with limited spectators. I think this will be the way many host clubs will go. They will still want the revenue brought in from meets, and will want to use meets as a motivator for their gymnasts and programs.
It might be different in Australia, but in France, most of the revenue of a meet comes from spectators' fees and the food court. If you limit the number of spectators (or worse, host the meet behind closed doors), you take out most of the money...
I know several gyms that opted out of hosting a meet next season due to fear that spectators won't be allowed in.

It might be different in Australia, but in France, most of the revenue of a meet comes from spectators' fees and the food court. If you limit the number of spectators (or worse, host the meet behind closed doors), you take out most of the money...
I know several gyms that opted out of hosting a meet next season due to fear that spectators won't be allowed in.
Entry fees may skyrocket to compensate.

Entry fees for spectators are just not a thing in Quebec. The only money comes directly from the competitors, and a minor amount from food/drink etc.

We just have way less meets, perhaps 3 per season and a championship of some kind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News